Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Poll of questions for those who have left or planning to leave PA, current residence, reasons for leaving PA, would you consider moving back to PA

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 06:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

I was inspired by a similar thread on the Ohio forum, and I figured this might likewise be a good idea for the Pennsylvania forum.

1.) Where do you currently live in PA or where did you formerly live in PA?

2.) Where do you live now after leaving PA or where do you plan to move once you do leave PA?

3.) What are your "back-up" choices for relocation destinations?

4.) Why do you wish to leave PA or why did you leave PA?

5.) What's currently holding you back from moving out if you haven't already left?

6.) What would it take to entice you to move back to PA if you have already left or to stay if you haven't yet left?

7.) Anything else you'd like to add?

To fill this out, simply click on "Quote," and then you can add your answers in right beneath my questions. You may wish to "bold" them or use a different text color to make them stand out more though.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 04-05-2008 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 06:47 PM

I currently live in Pittston, PA, which is about 8 miles south of Scranton and 8 miles north of Wilkes-Barre.

2.) Where do you live now after leaving PA or where do you plan to move once you do leave PA?

As you'll see below I am still "up in the air," but for a change of scenery I'm thinking about Pittsburgh.

I'd also consider relocating to Providence, RI, Philadelphia, PA, or Minneapolis, MN.

I'm always going to feel like PA, and more specifically NEPA, is "home" to me, but I'm noticing that less and less of my college-educated peers plan to stay in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, which will leave me with less and less of an opportunity to associate and befriend others in my age group in the future. I'm also becoming increasingly discouraged by all of the homophobic comments freely expressed by our state's residents, including yet another slur I heard at work today; all that does is reinforce our state's "Alabama in the Middle" stereotype. Furthermore I don't know how much more of the incessant whining and city-bashing I can take here in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area. I'm having a difficult time locating other like-minded souls who think there IS hope for a future in NEPA.

5.) What's currently holding you back from moving out if you haven't already left?

I've been flip-flopping for several years now as I contemplate my future. At age 21 I'm young and probably SHOULD do some exploring, but a part of me worries that housing prices in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre are going to soar so much in the next decade that if I DO wish to move back at age 30 or so, I'll have a very difficult time buying my Victorian charmer on a CPA's salary.

6.) What would it take to entice you to move back to PA if you have already left or to stay if you haven't yet left?

If more local residents would take the effort to look at what can be in our state's cities instead of what was or what is, then that would be a wonderful start. I'd also wish people would be less quick to judge others based upon their races, ethnicities, religious affilliations, and especially sexual orientations. Seeing more people in our state advance their educations beyond middle school might be inspiring as well. After all, what high-tech, high-paying firms are going to flood into PA, and more specifically Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, when so few residents possess a college degree? It would be ludicrous for them to move into an area where they'd have to invest countless dollars in training the existing workforce or relocating their former workforce to PA.

I'm simply enduring a quarter-life crisis I suppose. I spend so many hours on various forums debating with miserable middle-aged folks with chips on their shoulders that I've lost sight of the true beauty of our state. My photo tours are nice to look at for sure, but I know there are other areas out there just as beautiful with people are are much less miserable about their lives and about how their own shortcomings are somehow the fault of the government conspiracies running amok.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 04-05-2008 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: Error With Quotations

Old 04-05-2008, 07:21 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I was inspired by a similar thread on the Ohio forum, and I figured this might likewise be a good idea for the Pennsylvania forum.

New Cumberland, PA

Manchester, NH

Boston, MA area or Raleigh, NC

Taxes, low paying jobs, people, change of scenery

Money

Nothing
nope

To fill this out, simply click on "Quote," and then you can add your answers in right beneath my questions. You may wish to "bold" them or use a different text color to make them stand out more though.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:26 PM

Thanks for responding, Rooster. Manchester is a city I admittedly don't know much about, other than the fact that it was the setting for one of my favorite science-fiction books by Dr. Robin Cook. I picture it as being an old mill town that is actually clean and has a diversified economy with a lot of lofts in the old mills. I know Nashua is becoming overrun with Massachusetts transplants from what I've read on the NH forum; is Manchester the same way, or is it managing to hold onto its own independent identity? How much longer do you think you'll need to save before you can make the move?

Old 04-05-2008, 07:44 PM

I'll be outta here by early June. You think $14,000 is enough to move with? I should have that amount saved by the time I move

I don't care if Manchester is full of MA transplants. I'm from MA myself.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
I'll be outta here by early June. You think $14,000 is enough to move with? I should have that amount saved by the time I move

I don't care if Manchester is full of MA transplants. I'm from MA myself.
$14,000 should be a plentiful nest egg, assuming you live frugally and don't indulge yourself until you have secured steady employment. I didn't mean to imply that Massachusetts moving to NH in itself was a negative---only that the influx of MA ex-patriates into Southern NH is causing housing prices to skyrocket, which is something you'll need to consider in your budget. Best of luck! As for me as I lose my gleam for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre I too might be following you out.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
---only that the influx of MA ex-patriates into Southern NH is causing housing prices to skyrocket, which is something you'll need to consider in your budget.
I rent, so.....
and have you looked at the housing market lately? not so good

Quote:
Best of luck! As for me as I lose my gleam for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre I too might be following you out.
Finally seeing the light?
But seriously, did you lose hope for Scranton?

Old 04-05-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
I rent, so.....
and have you looked at the housing market lately? not so good

True. There are a lot of sellers out there who would be willing to accept lower offers than they otherwise would have in the pre-Bush recession years.

Finally seeing the light?
But seriously, did you lose hope for Scranton?
I'm just becoming discouraged. Everything GOOD that tries to happen to this city is shot dead by the city's residents. I try to look at life as optimistically as possible, but when you surround yourself with negative people (i.e. Scrantonians), then it can't help but rub off on you. Seemingly everyone here has the "Scranton is dead and gone forever" mentality, and that is highlighted by the city council meetings, anti-city web sites, rants of those on this and many other forums, newspaper editorials, etc. Why should I try to "believe" in a city that openly says "give up?!"

Old 04-05-2008, 10:14 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
I'm just becoming discouraged. Everything GOOD that tries to happen to this city is shot dead by the city's residents. I try to look at life as optimistically as possible, but when you surround yourself with negative people (i.e. Scrantonians), then it can't help but rub off on you. Seemingly everyone here has the "Scranton is dead and gone forever" mentality, and that is highlighted by the city council meetings, anti-city web sites, rants of those on this and many other forums, newspaper editorials, etc. Why should I try to "believe" in a city that openly says "give up?!"
SWB,
I have been researching demographic trends lately, and you mentioned Minneapolis, MN. The MPLS metro is quite young compared with other metro areas, and has a fairly big segment of the population (percentage wise) between 18-35. The city has always attracted single young professionals from other areas of the US as well. The two other cities you mentioned were Philadelphia and Providence. Both of those cities are demographically much older compared with MPLS. If you are looking at moving to a city with many people your own age than MPLS will fit the bill. It has everything ranging from lively urban neighborhoods, established neighborhoods, suburban areas, and exurban areas.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:07 AM

160 posts, read 639,026 times
Quote:

Harrisburg East Shore now. Previously spent 10 years in Juniata County.

Midwest. Nothing definite yet.

None.

To make it simple, there is no reason to stay. The scenery is nice, but everything else is pretty much just bland.

My husband has a terminal illness and it would be a real strain on him to move. Otherwise, we'd be gone right now!

A neutron bomb removing the current population? (just kidding) Seriously, reduce the number of 18-wheelers, board up at least half of the churches, send the bigots (sexist, homophobic, racist, all of them) south of the mason/dixon line, and send the Amish back to Europe.

I am not from PA. It was interesting and educational to live here because it is so different from the East Coast but, man, I've had enough!

----------
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania