Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Would You Like To See?
Scranton 0 0%
Wilkes-Barre 7 58.33%
Greater Pittston 1 8.33%
Carbondale 1 8.33%
The Abingtons (Clarks Summit Area) 0 0%
North Pocono (Moscow Area) 0 0%
Bear Creek 4 33.33%
Nanticoke 2 16.67%
Kingston (West Side) 1 8.33%
Other (Please Specify Below) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 07:14 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

Well, folks, I'm hitting a bit of a creative slump; I need you all to vote once again for what part of Northeastern Pennsylvania you'd like for me to capture next in a photo tour! I have brand new batteries in my trusty Kodak digital camera, and I'm ready to hit the streets. All of next week I'm working the evening shift and will have mornings free (Class is over), so I can potentially bring you FIVE new photo tours next week! Vote as many times as you'd like, and please feel free to elaborate below in a reply if there's a specific reason you want me to snap a certain area for you or simply to designate what particular area you want if you chose "Other." As always, have a great evening! -Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 07:41 PM

976 posts, read 3,860,970 times
I would like to see some of Wilkes Barre. Seems like such an interesting city. I havent been out that way in about 6 years. I was in Philly just a few weeks ago visiting my brother. Maybe next time im out there i will head up to the Scranton metro.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:56 PM

Smile The Diamond City

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
I would like to see some of Wilkes Barre. Seems like such an interesting city. I havent been out that way in about 6 years. I was in Philly just a few weeks ago visiting my brother. Maybe next time im out there i will head up to the Scranton metro.
Wilkes-Barre and Scranton have both changed quite a bit since 2000 (For the better I'm pleased to report). Wilkes-Barre is indeed an interesting, historic, architecturally-diverse, riverside city that garners a worse reputation that what it truly deserves. There have been some crime issues in the Diamond City in recent years, but the downtown is starting to bounce back to life after many years of succumbing to urban sprawl pressures. Retail is still nearly non-existent in Center City (Except for Boscov's Department Store), but nightlife has been springing up left and right in the new "Diamond City Entertainment District," which now includes a Barnes & Noble, Starbuck's, Mardi Gras Nightclub, FUSE Nightclub, Cinema 14, Campus Billiards, and Bart & Urby's Pub. All of these new ventures have sprung up this year, in what may be a turning point in the downtown's history.

1959: The Knox Mine Disaster just upriver claimed several lives and caused the collapse of the local anthracite mining industry, crippling the local economy.
1972: The remnants of Hurricane Agnes stalled out over the Wyoming Valley, submerging most of Wilkes-Barre and its inner suburbs as the Susquehanna River roared over its banks.
Post-1972-2005: Flooding fears sent much of Wilkes-Barre's middle-class fleeing towards newer housing developments in affluent suburban areas such as the Back Mountain and Mountain Top. Downtown businesses followed their consumers out to the suburbs, causing a retail shortage in Center City. Urban decay and rising crime become issues.
June, 2006: There's another close-call on the Susquehanna River, as 200,000 residents are evacuated out of fear that the levee system in Wilkes-Barre and its inner suburbs, erected after the 1972 Agnes Flood, will fail. Thankfully, Binghamton, NY received a lot of flooding, which helped to minimize the impact downriver and spared the much larger Wilkes-Barre area.
June, 2006-Present: Revitalization efforts pick up steam in Center City, and new businesses are beginning to pop up all over town.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:17 PM

5 posts, read 11,250 times
Post Bethlehem

Hi Wilkes-Barre. How about taking some pictures of Bethlehem, Pa? That would be nice and very much appreciated.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankee2 View Post
Hi Wilkes-Barre. How about taking some pictures of Bethlehem, Pa? That would be nice and very much appreciated.
My uncle lives just outside of Bethlehem (Fountain Hill), and used to live right on Second Street in South Side. I've always wanted to head back to the city to snap some photos; if next week isn't too brutally cold or snowy, I'll gladly head down there some day to take some! I've been meaning to hit up the Moravian Bookstore to do some Christmas shopping anyways. The only drawback is that it's about an hour and fifteen minute drive from my home near Scranton; I need to make sure I have an entirely-free day next week.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:00 PM

Twenty-four views and only one vote? C'mon folks! I enjoy taking pictures! If I see that only two people have voted by next week, then why should I even bother driving out of my way to please one person? VOTE EARLY; VOTE OFTEN!

Old 12-13-2006, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,728 times
Default Vote

OK, How about Shickshinny?

Old 12-13-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADZ View Post
OK, How about Shickshinny?
I could do Shickshinny as long as that waving gorilla doesn't decide to get fresh with me! (If they still have it; I haven't been to town recently!)

Old 12-15-2006, 01:15 AM

13 posts, read 44,207 times
Talking miner's mill

my husband and I are relocating from North Carolina to Miner's Mill next month and would like anything anyone can tell us about the neighborhood, thank you all so much

Old 12-15-2006, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhead1620 View Post
my husband and I are relocating from North Carolina to Miner's Mill next month and would like anything anyone can tell us about the neighborhood, thank you all so much

Hey there Crackhead! (I just love saying that! LOL!) I just responded about Miners Mills in the other post you put out; go check it out! Since it looks as if Bear Creek and Wilkes-Barre are both neck-and-neck in this poll with a whopping four votes each, I'll probably photograph Wilkes-Barre on Monday (or Tuesday if Monday's rainy forecast holds true). I'll snap Downtown and North Wilkes-Barre, which includes Miners Mills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania