Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 05:17 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,349,946 times

Advertisements

1,570 posts, read 2,470,104 times

...which, perhaps might be on the brink of flourishing? Looking to move to an area which has not yet "arrived" but is getting there . Remember how places like Kennett Square, where I once lived, was rather sleepy and is now an "in" (and overly expensive) place to be? That's what I'm looking for in Lancaster County while still affordable.

Because we baby boomers are the largest retirement group coming up, I can see that Lancaster would be a popular place to be. Senior communities seem to be growing, yet some towns have individual housing in the low $200's. This almost-senior will always require a single with a yard, as I will have dogs until they take me out feel-first. Any recommendations for burgeoning areas which have not yet peaked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 03:58 PM

To WHERE was this moved?

Old 12-18-2018, 03:33 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
To WHERE was this moved?
The main Pennsylvania forum. Lancaster is not considered Philadelphia or a suburb of Philly.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:30 AM

409 posts, read 370,120 times
It's not Lancaster County, but have you considered Oxford? I see Oxford being the next ChesCo hotspot (or maybe Phoenixville).

I'm not familiar with Lancaster County, but I agree it's a beautiful area and great bang for the buck. However, it's kind of out on its own island with limited highway access and no big airport nearby. There is Amtrak however.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
The main Pennsylvania forum. Lancaster is not considered Philadelphia or a suburb of Philly.
Thanks! I got "lost" for a while.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
It's not Lancaster County, but have you considered Oxford? I see Oxford being the next ChesCo hotspot (or maybe Phoenixville).

I'm not familiar with Lancaster County, but I agree it's a beautiful area and great bang for the buck. However, it's kind of out on its own island with limited highway access and no big airport nearby. There is Amtrak however.
Thanks, Patmcpsu. Oxford is a really nice area - but they've become a bit insane with their real estate taxes

Old 12-26-2018, 05:31 AM

599 posts, read 498,445 times
Quote:
1,570 posts, read 2,470,104 times

...which, perhaps might be on the brink of flourishing? Looking to move to an area which has not yet "arrived" but is getting there
LOL. That ship left the dock about two decades ago. You might want to do a bit more research, unless you did some sort of time machine move, and are posting this from 1999. Lancaster has been booming for a very long time. It's vibrant, and continually growing with everything from new restaurants to luxury condo projects going in constantly. There isn't a year that passes when some national news outlet, travel magazine, etc...fails to award it some national "best of" award. Best place to retire, top ten cool places for business travelers to visit, the newest "little Brooklyn", and so on. Of the large number of very old, smaller inland cities on the east coast, you are not going to find many that are doing as well as this place is.

Oddly, this type of post has the ability to pull a lot of trash out from under their rocks to proclaim how much Lancaster, and in the same vein Harrisburg, really sucks, and are nothing but ghetto dumps. If you want the truth, I suggest a short road trip. Head to Reading, then Lancaster and York. You decide where the obvious success can be found.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
LOL. That ship left the dock about two decades ago. You might want to do a bit more research, unless you did some sort of time machine move, and are posting this from 1999. Lancaster has been booming for a very long time. It's vibrant, and continually growing with everything from new restaurants to luxury condo projects going in constantly. There isn't a year that passes when some national news outlet, travel magazine, etc...fails to award it some national "best of" award. Best place to retire, top ten cool places for business travelers to visit, the newest "little Brooklyn", and so on. Of the large number of very old, smaller inland cities on the east coast, you are not going to find many that are doing as well as this place is.

Oddly, this type of post has the ability to pull a lot of trash out from under their rocks to proclaim how much Lancaster, and in the same vein Harrisburg, really sucks, and are nothing but ghetto dumps. If you want the truth, I suggest a short road trip. Head to Reading, then Lancaster and York. You decide where the obvious success can be found.
Thank you, Wharton...I understand and didn't realize the "luxury" element has already been established throughout the county. As I witnessed that change happening in both Media and Kennett Square, PA, I could see the physical change on the aerial maps as well. Lancaster still looks like a great deal of open country (comparatively), so yes, I suppose I made a rather naive assumption.

I will indeed be doing a thorough "road trip" in the spring. I greatly appreciate your insight.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:37 AM

599 posts, read 498,445 times
Quote:
Thank you, Wharton...I understand and didn't realize the "luxury" element has already been established throughout the county. As I witnessed that change happening in both Media and Kennett Square, PA, I could see the physical change on the aerial maps as well. Lancaster still looks like a great deal of open country (comparatively), so yes, I suppose I made a rather naive assumption.

I will indeed be doing a thorough "road trip" in the spring. I greatly appreciate your insight.
Ah, I see the issues. First it's important to distinguish between the city of Lancaster and the county. Night and day really. The city is one of the oldest inland cities in the country, and is very successful and vibrant, especially in contrast to most other cities of it's class, in the mid-Atlantic region. The county is a much different place. The city is where you can go to a nationally recognized restaurant, hang out in the latest hot spot after, and retire to your high six figure condo for the evening. The county is exponentially less undeveloped and laid back, compared to your area.The lack of never ending development, new shopping, new roads, and so on, is much more than it appears. It would be easy to do a fly over. and reach the conclusion that the sprawl is heading west from the Philly metro area, but just hasn't hit here yet. Truth is, nothing could be more wrong. One reason I moved to Lancaster County is illustrated by a neighbor I met. He is heading for 60 YO and was raised across the street. He stood in my backyard and said, " this entire view is exactly like it looked when I played in this yard, back in elementary school". It looked the same fifty years back, and it will look that way for the next fifty years. LC is a totally different animal compared to Bucks, Montgomery, Chester, etc. Decades ago the leaders realized that they would lose a lot if they became the next suburb of Philly. They started a multi-pronged effort to preserve what was here in the way of farmland, history, and the Amish culture. In most of the county it is now virtually impossible to use farmland for anything but Ag. production, or build any significant project outside of limited expansion zones, located where they won't destroy the character of the region. The land is locked up for the foreseeable future in preservation trusts, development rights for tax reduction swaps, or zoning restrictions. Unlike a lot of parts of the state, the answer most local municipalities give, when faced with slick presentations by developers, or those needing to violate land preservation to get their game changing project approved is, "no way, no how, don't bother wasting more of everybody's time". As for the "luxury Element" spreading beyond downtown Lancaster city, or a few wealthy enclaves in the burbs? Sorry, but no. I have more neighbors that use buggies, than drive cars, much less luxury cars.

I hope you do spend some time here when it warms up. Once you get out into the country, it's a whole other world that's only an hour from you. Different culture, scenery, people, etc..well worth the trip.

Last edited by wharton; 01-13-2019 at 05:48 AM..

Old 01-13-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
Ah, I see the issues. First it's important to distinguish between the city of Lancaster and the county. Night and day really. The city is one of the oldest inland cities in the country, and is very successful and vibrant, especially in contrast to most other cities of it's class, in the mid-Atlantic region. The county is a much different place. The city is where you can go to a nationally recognized restaurant, hang out in the latest hot spot after, and retire to your high six figure condo for the evening. The county is exponentially less undeveloped and laid back, compared to your area.The lack of never ending development, new shopping, new roads, and so on, is much more than it appears. It would be easy to do a fly over. and reach the conclusion that the sprawl is heading west from the Philly metro area, but just hasn't hit here yet. Truth is, nothing could be more wrong. One reason I moved to Lancaster County is illustrated by a neighbor I met. He is heading for 60 YO and was raised across the street. He stood in my backyard and said, " this entire view is exactly like it looked when I played in this yard, back in elementary school". It looked the same fifty years back, and it will look that way for the next fifty years. LC is a totally different animal compared to Bucks, Montgomery, Chester, etc. Decades ago the leaders realized that they would lose a lot if they became the next suburb of Philly. They started a multi-pronged effort to preserve what was here in the way of farmland, history, and the Amish culture. In most of the county it is now virtually impossible to use farmland for anything but Ag. production, or build any significant project outside of limited expansion zones, located where they won't destroy the character of the region. The land is locked up for the foreseeable future in preservation trusts, development rights for tax reduction swaps, or zoning restrictions. Unlike a lot of parts of the state, the answer most local municipalities give, when faced with slick presentations by developers, or those needing to violate land preservation to get their game changing project approved is, "no way, no how, don't bother wasting more of everybody's time". As for the "luxury Element" spreading beyond downtown Lancaster city, or a few wealthy enclaves in the burbs? Sorry, but no. I have more neighbors that use buggies, than drive cars, much less luxury cars.

I hope you do spend some time here when it warms up. Once you get out into the country, it's a whole other world that's only an hour from you. Different culture, scenery, people, etc..well worth the trip.
Excellent explanation, and thanks again! BRAVO to the LC politicians! I grew up here in Delaware County - back for the last two years after having to give up my lovely home in Kennett Square - and can not WAIT to get out of here again! While growing up here was indeed strictly suburban, there were still lots of woods to play in and what seemed to be at least a bit of "elbow room." But our so-called "leaders" have raped just about every little green space there is - including a historic park now used for a mega storage facility! I feel completely smothered by the noise, traffic, and overall hustle and bustle of everyone around me. I will be semi-retiring early and so hope to find a bit of space that I can afford. I will look into York County as well as LC, but LC has a U of Penn (adopted) hospital which might come in handy for me someday, as I am alone and will need to drive myself.

Thanks for all the valuable information, wharton! It is truly helpful. PS: wanted to "rep" you again, but I wasn't allowed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania