Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 08:32 AM

199 posts, read 141,135 times

Advertisements

Jane Higdon worked and lived in Maryland for decades. She spent 33 years in education, much of that time as a high school English and special education teacher.

Then she moved north, to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. She wanted to be closer to her grandchildren.

And she noticed something.

Each of Maryland’s 23 counties and the city of Baltimore have one school district with one superintendent or CEO at the top.

But in Lancaster County alone, there are 17 school districts — each with its own superintendent who had a salary above $100,000 last year.

https://papost.org/2019/02/13/why-ar...-four-reasons/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 10:13 AM

409 posts, read 369,727 times
That article has it backwards. You'll see here that Maryland has the 4th-largest school districts in the country, by average enrollment (behind two anomalies: Hawaii and DC). PA on the other hand, ranks 27th.

PA isn't the outlier; Maryland is.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:12 PM

30,484 posts, read 16,194,511 times
not sure about the southern, more populated part of the state but in the less populated, school districts are thinned out about as much as they can be.

As it is, some students spend over an hour riding a bus to school and back.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:15 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
I am very much for small government and local, home rule. I can go to a school board, or township meeting and have my voice heard. Not as much in Harrisburg, and certainly not in D.C. Smaller school districts are better.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:31 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
I grew up in PA and taught in MD. The political structure here is very southern in design with the main form of local government being the county. School systems mirror that.

You might get rid of superintendents but the follow on bureaucracy in a county system is impenetrable.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:03 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
I can see the point of larger districts, but not county systems. As it is, our districts do use a lot of shared services like the Intermediate Units, Career and Tech Schools and consortiums for purchasing everything from health care for teachers and staff to energy.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:36 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,309,793 times
This is a touchy subject.

And worth some thinking about.

Pennsylvania has more school districts. But also ranks higher in school performance than Maryland. Pennsylvania has some of the highest rated school districts in the nation, and is always considered a top 5 state for public education.

Teachers salary range from 60k - 100k+ depending on district.

So in terms of design outcome, Pennsylvania's current system seems to be winning.

I have zero idea what Maryland property taxes are but I allude they are a bit more forgiving than Pennsylvania, although we are not the highest. NY, NJ, CT and MA I believe take the cake on that.

Pennsylvania definitely needs to get more creative with the consolidation of services at the very least with our local municipalities. Local governments and school districts in more rural districts have begun to do this in painfully slow ways.

I am not for county wide school districts, but I am most definitely for consolidation of townships into larger population zones.

I think the state in the future could offer a policy initiative to encourage school districts to consolidate. Any successful legislation in Pennsylvania though must be an opt in legislative model in terms of local government. Mandation is not a style Pennsylvania really takes well. For better. For worst.

Many of the rural districts are seeing this beneficial and the only way to stay financially stable.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:46 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post

Pennsylvania has more school districts. But also ranks higher in school performance than Maryland. Pennsylvania has some of the highest rated school districts in the nation, and is always considered a top 5 state for public education.

So in terms of design outcome, Pennsylvania's current system seems to be winning.

I have zero idea what Maryland property taxes are but I allude they are a bit more forgiving than Pennsylvania, although we are not the highest. NY, NJ, CT and MA I believe take the cake on that.

Pennsylvania definitely needs to get more creative with the consolidation of services at the very least with our local municipalities. Local governments and school districts in more rural districts have begun to do this in painfully slow ways.

I am not for county wide school districts, but I am most definitely for consolidation of townships into larger population zones.

I think the state in the future could offer a policy initiative to encourage school districts to consolidate. Any successful legislation in Pennsylvania though must be an opt in legislative model in terms of local government. Mandation is not a style Pennsylvania really takes well. For better. For worst.

Many of the rural districts are seeing this beneficial and the only way to stay financially stable.
Actually you're incorrect, Maryland ranks higher than Pennsylvania in every measure, here's one that's the most commonly accepted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/reneemo.../#3e3495953897

Maryland has dropped from 2/3 the last few years.

Pennsylvania school systems have been consolidating services for 50 years (the last big consolidation of school systems was about 1960 when the current 500 were created from something like 1500 previous ones), a couple of those were already mentioned.

One of the issues PA has is that the PA Department of Education can't really force school systems to do much. Maryland has a top down system and when MSDE says jump most of the school systems, especially the crappier ones, ask how high. Curriculum is standardized statewide as is the testing schedule and requirements for benchmark testing.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:41 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,089,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post

Maryland does have lower property taxes, in general, vs. PA, but the state income tax is much higher. The MD rate is about 4-5% plus there’s local rates of about 1.75%-2.75%. MD allows certain deductions that PA does not but the rates are way higher. PA gets you one way, MD another.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:13 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually you're incorrect, Maryland ranks higher than Pennsylvania in every measure, here's one that's the most commonly accepted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/reneemo.../#3e3495953897

Maryland has dropped from 2/3 the last few years.

Pennsylvania school systems have been consolidating services for 50 years (the last big consolidation of school systems was about 1960 when the current 500 were created from something like 1500 previous ones), a couple of those were already mentioned.

One of the issues PA has is that the PA Department of Education can't really force school systems to do much. Maryland has a top down system and when MSDE says jump most of the school systems, especially the crappier ones, ask how high. Curriculum is standardized statewide as is the testing schedule and requirements for benchmark testing.
That is true. That particular poster gets a little carried away sometimes with their pro PA viewpoints.

PA is a much larger state with a lot more economic variances compared to Maryland. While the public schools in Southeastern PA might be the best in the nation, that won't matter on a statewide ranking if Northern PA and Western PA are below average.

That being said, PA public school system finishes in the middle of the pack in most metrics. However, the SEPA enclave (Montgomery, Chester, Delaware, Bucks) have several nationally ranked districts.

And part of the the reason PA has a lot of school districts is due to the commonwealths designation of townships, boroughs, municipalities and zip-code coverage. Its a confusing system with mixed results. It works out tremendously for the upper middle class and wealthy areas of PA, but doesn't work out well for poor districts.

You have Radnor School District (one of the wealthiest top performing in the nation), and Chester-Upland one of the poorest and lowest performing in the nation a mere 20 minutes from each other, in the same county.

That being said, I think PA's district setup is smart, but the lack of funding for poor districts is a clear deterrent for those poor districts to improve. PA has always been a very polarized state when it comes to demographics, income, crime, schools, etc. But that will lead us off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania