Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 11:15 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

What happened to PenDOT where every time we have a few inches of snow they shut down our Interstates to truck traffic? Even PennDOT requires some of the goods and services supplied by commercial trucking; where would they be without salt or cinders?

Where are the days when we would see them patiently waiting to plow/salt/cinder as soon as our storms started? I just feel that this is an alarming trend where they try to shift their problems off on commercial trucking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 11:44 AM

436 posts, read 343,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What happened to PenDOT where every time we have a few inches of snow they shut down our Interstates to truck traffic? .
Simple. Because there are truckers who don't know any better, go out, get stuck, and blame THAT on the state. Don't you remember the huge back up on the turnpike a few years ago during a storm?

Old 02-20-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8YearsinPittsburgh View Post
Simple. Because there are truckers who don't know any better, go out, get stuck, and blame THAT on the state. Don't you remember the huge back up on the turnpike a few years ago during a storm?
Of course I remember the huge backups. I also remember days where our highway department did a better job keeping the roads clear. Take today as an example; this isn't a big storm. Is there any reason that we should have any restrictions? Are trucks stuck because they are trucks or are they stuck because our road crews are not doing the job they are supposed to do?

Old 02-20-2019, 03:34 PM

298 posts, read 482,130 times
They also have had a difficult time finding drivers. if you know anyone with those skills, please point em to PennDot

Old 02-20-2019, 04:35 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
I have to wonder how wise it is to sgut down the Interstate unless it's a really big storm, how many of those trucks end up on secondary roads?

Old 02-20-2019, 04:51 PM

436 posts, read 343,226 times
Quote:
Of course I remember the huge backups. I also remember days where our highway department did a better job keeping the roads clear. Take today as an example; this isn't a big storm. Is there any reason that we should have any restrictions? Are trucks stuck because they are trucks or are they stuck because our road crews are not doing the job they are supposed to do?
I also remember when people took responsibility for their actions. Today, it's everyone else's fault but their/your own. And complaining is the American way, so they are damned if they close or restrict, and damned if they don't.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8YearsinPittsburgh View Post
I also remember when people took responsibility for their actions. Today, it's everyone else's fault but their/your own. And complaining is the American way, so they are damned if they close or restrict, and damned if they don't.
Thankfully not every state in the US has copied PennDOT. Maybe they will at some time? I like to think of our Country as competitive; if we cannot get the job done somebody else will get it done for us. Once we start holding up goods and services we loose a competitive edge. Eisenhower's vision of our Interstate system was so we could quickly speed those goods and services and men and materials (in war) from one coast to the next.

Right now I have maybe two or three inches of snow on my deck. The temperatures are not that cold outside that salt will not work on the freezing mixed precipitation. The snow emergency was declared before the storm ever arrived this morning. My feeling is, that if PennDOT is not up to doing the job, then we should look to outsource their services. Maybe their time in 'business' came and went?

Old 02-22-2019, 04:05 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
Quote:
Thankfully not every state in the US has copied PennDOT. Maybe they will at some time? I like to think of our Country as competitive; if we cannot get the job done somebody else will get it done for us. Once we start holding up goods and services we loose a competitive edge. Eisenhower's vision of our Interstate system was so we could quickly speed those goods and services and men and materials (in war) from one coast to the next.

Right now I have maybe two or three inches of snow on my deck. The temperatures are not that cold outside that salt will not work on the freezing mixed precipitation. The snow emergency was declared before the storm ever arrived this morning. My feeling is, that if PennDOT is not up to doing the job, then we should look to outsource their services. Maybe their time in 'business' came and went?

I am all for making the commercial trucking industry more restrictive in Pennsylvania.

The jobs do not pay that well. The quality of life for the industry is anything but high. And the number of deaths caused is alarming because the industry is not highly regulated properly with no strong inclination of safety.

It would be smarter to tax the industry and restrict it, and use that revenue to promote economic growth in higher paying opportunities for people.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:59 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
The jobs do not pay that well.

Is this some kind of joke?

Quote:
It would be smarter to tax the industry and restrict it, and use that revenue to promote economic growth in higher paying opportunities for people.
Any tax on the trucking industry will be directly reflected in the cost of the goods you pay for, restrictions will only make goods scarce increasing their cost further. Look around you, everything you see including the walls, ceiling and floor was on a truck at some point. Perhaps you think it's magic that delivers those things?

Old 02-23-2019, 05:26 AM

107 posts, read 113,103 times
Because the roads in PA, especially in the mountains, ice over pretty bad. Just last year there was a snow storm with not a lot of snow, but the roads all iced up and semi trucks were backed up for miles down the interstate, also blocking on and off ramps. It's a huge headache and it's safer for everyone involved if truck traffic ceases in the event of significant snow storms.

Not to mention people forget winter comes every year and there are numerous accidents by the Summer Tires Club.

Shout out to all the truckers, though, it ain't an easy job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania