Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I76 0r I80
I76 6 27.27%
I80 16 72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 11:38 AM

142 posts, read 115,979 times

Advertisements

This summer I need to drive to Kansas City as I am relocating there. I will be going via I70, and coming from northern NJ. Which is a better crossing I80 or I76? I am looking to have my first night stop off in western PA, and I will be driving alone. Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 12:35 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
I voted for I-80 because that should have the least traffic through PA. But I would check websites like this one (https://www.navbug.com/traffic_condi...vania/i-80.htm) as it gets closer to your trip. If there are many work zones and delays you might want to consider the alternatives.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:40 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,830 times
80 is free - if that's a factor.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:54 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,196 times
Yeah, I voted I-80 because there is less traffic and it is toll-free. Google maps estimates I-80 is about fifteen minutes slower, which I think is worthwhile and would probably even out after traffic -- unless you are driving in the middle of the night.

I-76 is preferable in the wintertime because it is more well treated/plowed, plus its more southern latitude favors road conditions. I think I-80 has more potholes than I-76 too, which can be annoying (confirm anyone?).

In the summertime, I'd go with I-80 to save money on what is already a pricey adventure -- moving across the country! Good luck!

Old 03-24-2019, 05:30 PM

142 posts, read 115,979 times
Thanks crew!

Old 03-25-2019, 08:37 AM

1,393 posts, read 913,271 times
In general, I-80 is a much more pleasant (and cheaper) drive than I-76. The problem here is that OP needs to take I-70 to KC, and it's much easier to take I-76 to where it merges with I-70 and then just get off onto I-70 at New Stanton. If you take I-80 across PA, then you have to cut down to I-70 at some point (either on I-79 or I-71 or something) that will add probably at least an hour to the trip. Plus, if you're on I-76/I-70, you can stop at Breezewood, which is an easy place to get a hotel or whatever for the night.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:47 AM

273 posts, read 317,964 times
I’ve drive both routes more times than I can count and am extremely familiar with both routes. Each has its own unique advantages and disadvantages.

I-80 is the “newer” of the two highways, having been designed and built mostly in the 1960s after modern Interstate standards were established. As a result, I think I-80 is a less fatiguing drive and blends more harmoniously into the landscape: Curves are gentler and more sweeping, and the opposing directions are separated by a wide, forested median. And as has been mentioned, I-80 toll free (except for the Delaware River Bridge at the PA/NJ state line). Getting from I-80 to I-70 is simple, easy, and direct: I-80 runs right into I-76 through Akron, then you take I-71 south to Columbus and I-70 westward from there. I’ve done it numerous times.

The Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-76) is, of course, a toll highway. If you’re coming from northern NJ, it probably makes sense to take I-78 toward Harrisburg, then continue on I-81 to I-76 at Carlisle. The toll from Carlisle to New Stanton is $16.10 with a passenger car if you have E-ZPass. (Truck rates and cash prices are higher.) That section of I-76 was originally built in 1940, and its alignment reflects the fact that it was America’s very first attempt to build a high-speed superhighway. In contrast to I-80’s graceful curves, the Turnpike tends to be: straightaway, curve, straightaway, curve... And the opposing lanes are as little as ten feet apart, separated by a concrete barrier. But there is something to be said for the Turnpike’s unique historic character and the attraction of driving through the tunnels (three in that section).

Pavement conditions on both I-80 and I-76 are roughly comparable—perfectly smooth in some areas, a bit rough in others. In general, I’d rate both as “good” overall. PennDOT is in the process of rebuilding I-70 from New Stanton to Wheeling, and while there are some nice, new stretches of pavement, you’ll find some rather rough spots, too.

I-76 has an edge in the availability of motorist services. As with other toll roads, the Pennsylvania Turnpike has service plazas with fast food, fuel, convenience stores, and clean restrooms at roughly 30-50-mile intervals right alongside the road. Additionally, the Turnpike and I-70 pass through some more populated areas with a broader array of other restaurants and lodging options, notably at Breezewood, Bedford, Somerset, New Stanton, and Washington (PA). That’s not to say that I-80 offers nothing, but there are plenty of exits with no services at all and many more where lodging options tend to consist of old, threadbare motor lodges.

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:52 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
The downside to either route is that you still end up in Ohio.

Take 80. It was mentioned about many exits not having services. That's true. Mostly because much of it runs through some of the most rural areas of the state. But you're not far until the next exit.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:38 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The downside to either route is that you still end up in Ohio.

Take 80. It was mentioned about many exits not having services. That's true. Mostly because much of it runs through some of the most rural areas of the state. But you're not far until the next exit.
In general I would stop at a truck stop before a rest area. Most truck stops have clean bathrooms and even shower facilities (for a nominal fee), most have restaurants or quick food available, and they have fuel. Plus the security is probably much better at a truck stop than at a rest area.

PS Just wanted to add that, if you would take I-81 to I-76, you can hit rush hour traffic around Harrisburg. You can also hit traffic from the Farm Show or the Car Shows in Carlisle PA. I-80 can have backups from the NASCAR races in Long Pond - but the OP would hit that regardless if they took I-80 to I-81.

Last edited by fisheye; 03-25-2019 at 10:50 AM..

Old 03-25-2019, 02:05 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
The problem here is that OP needs to take I-70 to KC, and it's much easier to take I-76 to where it merges with I-70 and then just get off onto I-70 at New Stanton. If you take I-80 across PA, then you have to cut down to I-70 at some point (either on I-79 or I-71 or something) that will add probably at least an hour to the trip.
The OP is starting from northern New Jersey, and will have to "cut down" somewhere. Better to save $50 by taking I-80.

I-80 to I-76 West near Youngstown to I-71 South to I-270 West to I-70 West.

Not difficult at all, and it avoids the nightmare that is I-70 from New Stanton to the West Virginia line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania