Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 04:03 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
good luck with that.
When H freezes over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 09:07 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Where do you live now? Dollars to donuts says it's in the South, where the weather is much milder, and the roads don't take a lot of damage.

Also... pretty weak effort trying to make a political point with your ill-informed post. lol
sadly my post is not ill informed....to make a statement like that shows how little you know, also it is all political for your information....I'm guessing you work for the state and the easiest way to deter people from believing is to discredit the poster.....

there are tons of people in PA who joke and complain about the roads.....and where I live now has nothing to do with the weather at this point....the state is always working on the roads to keep them maintained and in good shape...they get cold here as well...

Preventative maintenance....as another poster suggested, PA Dept. of Transportation should seriously take a look at other roads in other states and figure out how to do it better, instead of pleasing the people who funded their political campaigns.

also, whenever my son used to come home, he couldn't believe how bad the roads were.

I've been coming to this state ever since I was in my 20's so I know it pretty well, and that was before my son was born or lived here....

Excuses do not cut it.

there is no reason why the roads cannot be fixed properly, with the money the state is taxing our gasoline.

they always raise taxes on gasoline under the guise of road and bridge repair, but always allocate it somewhere else

someone should be watching where our money is being spent.....

Old 09-07-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Every area has it's own particular problems. In some areas down South the bedrock is many feet below ground level so pylons have to be driven for any bridge work. Roads on the coast can take a beating from our strong coastal storms. Sometimes even the heat can cause the pavement to buckle.

What I am saying is that PA has an excuse for everything. We need managers that embrace our challenges and find solutions. We should look at what other states do better and try to improve on their efficiencies. I would rather see performance than listen to excuses.
Exactly.....

and people in PA know it, but they are not all in here posting about it....most people are way to lazy to educate themselves, have never been out of PA and really cannot compare. People feel that when they go in and vote, their job is done and most politicians know that.

PA is corrupt...and so were the unions when I was working construction....saw it all....

Old 09-07-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
In August 2018, I traveled through much of Pennsylvania, driving more than 2,000 miles. Last month, I traveled through much of the Carolinas, driving more than 1,000 miles in each state. Based on my travels, the roads in South Carolina are no better than the roads in Pennsylvania, and the roads in North Carolina are only marginally better. For that matter, I also traveled through much of Tennessee last month, and their roads aren't as good as I remember them being 20 years ago.
PA has always been known for bad roads and very bad planning....as far as road repair.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
PA has always been known for bad roads and very bad planning....as far as road repair.
I do not think that it is universal; I do think that some areas have better management and funding - maybe they spend their money wisely? I do think that my District 5 is one of the worst districts in our State and, more specifically, my particular highway shed in that district is one of the worst. I know that there are also politics that play into this maintenance/repair/replacement game and we have had problems with representation; but that is not the whole story.

The problem with all road repair is that we, as motorist, really do not want to 'experience' road repair. We want road work to last a long time so that we do not have to see the highway workers and construction equipment for many years. We hate work that has to be redone every year or every few years and it is not safe for both us and the highway workers. There are many states that do a better job at keeping the traffic flowing during the construction times and some of them do work that last a long time. That should be our goal and not work that looks like workfare!

Old 09-12-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I do not think that it is universal; I do think that some areas have better management and funding - maybe they spend their money wisely? I do think that my District 5 is one of the worst districts in our State and, more specifically, my particular highway shed in that district is one of the worst. I know that there are also politics that play into this maintenance/repair/replacement game and we have had problems with representation; but that is not the whole story.

The problem with all road repair is that we, as motorist, really do not want to 'experience' road repair. We want road work to last a long time so that we do not have to see the highway workers and construction equipment for many years. We hate work that has to be redone every year or every few years and it is not safe for both us and the highway workers. There are many states that do a better job at keeping the traffic flowing during the construction times and some of them do work that last a long time. That should be our goal and not work that looks like workfare!
you know that I once lived in your area and had very close ties with your district and others in PA, and now that I have moved, I still can't get over how poorly our roads were all those years I lived there, and lived all over PA.

Whenever I go out driving now, I just marvel, (and it's been a little over a month) how well all the roads have been maintained around here...it's like night and day, and it's a joy not having to worry about hitting any pot holes, and believe me, there is tons of traffic here. sometimes you don't realize how bad you had it until you move away and see how nicely other state leaders take care of their roads.

hope your doing well.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:44 AM

Quote:
you know that I once lived in your area and had very close ties with your district and others in PA, and now that I have moved, I still can't get over how poorly our roads were all those years I lived there, and lived all over PA.

Whenever I go out driving now, I just marvel, (and it's been a little over a month) how well all the roads have been maintained around here...it's like night and day, and it's a joy not having to worry about hitting any pot holes, and believe me, there is tons of traffic here. sometimes you don't realize how bad you had it until you move away and see how nicely other state leaders take care of their roads.

hope your doing well.
I had told you the story of how I used to live only about a quarter mile south form Monroe County's main highway shed on Route 611. At that time they had about 100 employees and most of them drove by my place to go to work every day. For months I had a huge pothole in Route 611 right in front of where I lived. It was destroying vehicles with no clearance and blowing out tires on larger vehicles. Even at that time, 50 years ago, we still had that hot line to report potholes. None of us did because we thought it was obvious that they should fix the hole - heck they ran over it every day!

Finally I called it in and they were there the next day and 11 of them spent the day fixing the one hole. But I have a problem with a system, where they do not do what they are supposed to do, unless asked to do the work. They are a maintenance company so to speak. Does a bridge have to fall on their heads before they 'see' the problem? Or do they hate 'working' so much that they refuse to do the work unless told to do the work?

Here in Swiftwater a 3'X3' piece of flake board landed in the middle of Route 611 two or three years ago. It got stuck to the asphalt and, as far as I know, it is still laying on the pavement today. Granted it is only half or three quarters of an inch thick and does not pose a danger. But PennDOT has had how many trucks and workers pass over it in a two year period! Not one thought about removing it. Perhaps they were waiting to talk the Boy Scouts into litter control work?

Old 11-03-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
DavePa I believe you still made a helova good UNION wage for years and probably nice pension. Now at retirement...... you want to dog on PA and used roads and PenDot and conditions as part of the reason. You used it so it became the topic and main reason.
I did.

Quote:
Many states have similar situations. Especially if they have as complex a road system that experiences winters and salt mixture uses as we do.
yeah but we're not discussing other states, only PA who by the way has had the reputation for having horrible roads for many many years.

Quote:
It would have been better not to vent with bitterness that you leave PA. At least here .... your retirement isn't taxed. So make sure you choose a state that doesn't.
I didn't leave PA with any bitterness...matter of fact PA is a very lovely state....it's got many beautiful qualities....

Quote:
You could have said in retirement I'm moving on. A milder winter state. Fond memories of PA I will take with me. Just sadly, PA roads I must say I'm disappointed with as I worked with many crews on them.
yeah I coulda said that but I didn't...

Quote:
Not the bitterness in your OP post that shows you will leave with baggage. But good luck....
I didn't leave with any baggage, and the bitterness you speak of is only how you perceived, my post....
I'm a very cut and dry person....and I don't mince words....bitter no, do I miss PA, a lot of friends and family, however, I don't miss the roads. It took me about a month of driving on the roads here as I marveled at how well maintained they are...no pot holes what so ever,

There is good and bad in everything, always a trade off....but this move certainly wasn't b/c the roads are terrible in PA, but as I said, for personal reasons.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I had told you the story of how I used to live only about a quarter mile south form Monroe County's main highway shed on Route 611. At that time they had about 100 employees and most of them drove by my place to go to work every day. For months I had a huge pothole in Route 611 right in front of where I lived. It was destroying vehicles with no clearance and blowing out tires on larger vehicles. Even at that time, 50 years ago, we still had that hot line to report potholes. None of us did because we thought it was obvious that they should fix the hole - heck they ran over it every day!

Finally I called it in and they were there the next day and 11 of them spent the day fixing the one hole. But I have a problem with a system, where they do not do what they are supposed to do, unless asked to do the work. They are a maintenance company so to speak. Does a bridge have to fall on their heads before they 'see' the problem? Or do they hate 'working' so much that they refuse to do the work unless told to do the work?

Here in Swiftwater a 3'X3' piece of flake board landed in the middle of Route 611 two or three years ago. It got stuck to the asphalt and, as far as I know, it is still laying on the pavement today. Granted it is only half or three quarters of an inch thick and does not pose a danger. But PennDOT has had how many trucks and workers pass over it in a two year period! Not one thought about removing it. Perhaps they were waiting to talk the Boy Scouts into litter control work?
I've had a problem with PA's maintenance system for many years, and probably only b/c I worked construction. The problem I have is, for many years now PA has been raising the tax on gas, under the guise of road and bridge repair, and yet, each and every year the roads get worse and worse. Eventually if they don't stop with the overlays and repair the roads as they should be, they are going to have one hell of a problem.

I personally believe they no longer know what they're doing or how to fix roads...the right way.

Even harder to perceive is that some people in this thread actually believed I moved out of PA due to the roads? Are you kidding me??????

Old 11-03-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I've had a problem with PA's maintenance system for many years, and probably only b/c I worked construction. The problem I have is, for many years now PA has been raising the tax on gas, under the guise of road and bridge repair, and yet, each and every year the roads get worse and worse. Eventually if they don't stop with the overlays and repair the roads as they should be, they are going to have one hell of a problem.

I personally believe they no longer know what they're doing or how to fix roads...the right way.

Even harder to perceive is that some people in this thread actually believed I moved out of PA due to the roads? Are you kidding me??????

Bureaucracy loves bureaucracy as the saying goes. It keeps all the paper pushers happy and they can award their contracts to their friends. In the last few years, before my sister left the township, she complained that the environmental regulations doubled. It's like we don't get anything done now but we really don't even want to try! They all forgot that they work for the people in this State or Nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania