Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 12:01 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
I hope your new spot isn't Indiana because good grief I thought the roads in SE PA were garbage...
well I suppose, if I had moved to Indiana and it is as you say, I wouldn't have written the above post. I cannot understand how some states keep up with road repairs, and do it the right way, and other states, simply leave their roads fall apart, and then tax their residents for road repair....

I just don't get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
I hope your new spot isn't Indiana because good grief I thought the roads in SE PA were garbage...
well I suppose, if I had moved to Indiana and it is as you say, I wouldn't have written the above post. I cannot understand how some states keep up with road repairs, and do it the right way, and other states, simply leave their roads fall apart, and then tax their residents for road repair....

I just don't get it?

When my son came back to visit, before I moved, he said, he couldn't believe how bad PA roads have gotten...

Old 03-13-2020, 03:06 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

I just don't get it?
Could be the union mentality in PA. In other words, as long as union people are paid to "work," it doesn't matter if they are actually working or making progress. It's simply the act of paying them that matters.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Could be the union mentality in PA. In other words, as long as union people are paid to "work," it doesn't matter if they are actually working or making progress. It's simply the act of paying them that matters.
Well, I tend to agree with you to a point, however, when it comes to roads, there are still certain humane values state leaders should be taking, and that would be to provide the best roads they can for travelers....

I believe they do a pretty good job on the interstates, it is the side and back roads they ignore....and as far as the union mentality, some of us union members "did" work back then....and I wouldn't be so inclined to agree to your statement except for the fact that I've seen it. But I assure you, not "all" union workers adopt that mentality. It might be worse today, I don't know? What I do know is, that the state is in charge of roadwork, i.e. inspectors and state schematics, state regulations, etc.....except for county roads....and they had better work, or they will be asked no, told to leave....

Old 03-15-2020, 07:04 AM

14,156 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Well, I tend to agree with you to a point, however, when it comes to roads, there are still certain humane values state leaders should be taking, and that would be to provide the best roads they can for travelers....

I believe they do a pretty good job on the interstates, it is the side and back roads they ignore....and as far as the union mentality, some of us union members "did" work back then....and I wouldn't be so inclined to agree to your statement except for the fact that I've seen it. But I assure you, not "all" union workers adopt that mentality. It might be worse today, I don't know? What I do know is, that the state is in charge of roadwork, i.e. inspectors and state schematics, state regulations, etc.....except for county roads....and they had better work, or they will be asked no, told to leave....
There's the rub. Though I can recall a time when Pennsylvania's Interstates and non-Turnpike freeways were pretty horrible too. ISTR reading an article that referred to I-380 (nee I-81E) from Scranton to Stroudsburg as "the nation's only all-gravel Interstate."

I do note that New Jersey's primary state highways are better designed and engineered than their Pennsylvania counterparts. However: At least in the Southeast, many of those primary state highways pass through or past historic villages and houses where the structures hug the road. To bring those roads to modern standards would require either demolishing these structures - which would raise a huge stink - or moving them back from the road - which would cost lots of money and might not even be doable depending on the size of the lots.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
There's the rub. Though I can recall a time when Pennsylvania's Interstates and non-Turnpike freeways were pretty horrible too. ISTR reading an article that referred to I-380 (nee I-81E) from Scranton to Stroudsburg as "the nation's only all-gravel Interstate."

I do note that New Jersey's primary state highways are better designed and engineered than their Pennsylvania counterparts. However: At least in the Southeast, many of those primary state highways pass through or past historic villages and houses where the structures hug the road. To bring those roads to modern standards would require either demolishing these structures - which would raise a huge stink - or moving them back from the road - which would cost lots of money and might not even be doable depending on the size of the lots.
I do miss PA, Market St. East, and all the wonderful foods....

Question, they don't call the Market St. East off the R-5 any longer do they?

Old 03-21-2020, 06:39 AM

14,156 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
I do miss PA, Market St. East, and all the wonderful foods....

Question, they don't call the Market St. East off the R-5 any longer do they?
Both "Market East Station" and the R-numbers are dead and buried.

Thomas Jefferson University bought naming rights at Market East three years ago; it's called Jefferson Station now.

The R-numbers disappeared a couple of years before that. The Regional Rail lines are once again referred to by their termini (Paoli/Thorndale, Lansdale/Doylestown, Media/Elwyn, Fox Chase...)

Old 03-21-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Both "Market East Station" and the R-numbers are dead and buried.

Thomas Jefferson University bought naming rights at Market East three years ago; it's called Jefferson Station now.

The R-numbers disappeared a couple of years before that. The Regional Rail lines are once again referred to by their termini (Paoli/Thorndale, Lansdale/Doylestown, Media/Elwyn, Fox Chase...)
Yes, I knew that, b/c when my son came home we went to the city by train, and it had changed, but couldn't remember what they called it....and your right, the R-5 also disappeared....used to love to take the train to Philly and very much enjoyed the sights....

My sister and I went down a few times to see the philadelphia orchestra....loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania