Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 09:19 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yep--on many metrics (with the notable exceptions of population, economic size, and K-12 education of course), you're absolutely right.

Although it's beginning to become "above average" on metrics like income and educational attainment (not Top 10, but on the threshold of Top 20), with the potential to do even better as younger generations today continue to comprise more and more of the overall population (for example, the 24-35 demographic in PA is 11th or 12th compared to all other states in terms of college degree attainment--that bodes pretty well for the future).

What should be apparent to everyone is how much potential and assets exist. Unfortunately they continue to be all but completely wasted in that black hole colloquially known as Harrisburg.
I agree 100%. In terms of assets, Pennsylvania is a Top 5 state. No doubt about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 05:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
In the Erie area there are areas only barely outside the city or Millcreek Township that only have DSL or satellite internet.

The issue is population density, that infrastructure is expensive and the cost to run it to semi rural and rural customers is typically not economically feasible.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:50 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The issue is population density, that infrastructure is expensive and the cost to run it to semi rural and rural customers is typically not economically feasible.

How do other states manage? For instance, Missouri, Minnesota, North and South Dakota, Idaho, and Utah are significantly more rural than Pennsylvania yet they all have better internet access for residents. In many ways, Pennsylvania is behind the times and the investments in infrastructure need to start now or we will only be further behind in the future.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...nternet-access

Old 05-30-2019, 01:59 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
How do other states manage? For instance, Missouri, Minnesota, North and South Dakota, Idaho, and Utah are significantly more rural than Pennsylvania yet they all have better internet access for residents. In many ways, Pennsylvania is behind the times and the investments in infrastructure need to start now or we will only be further behind in the future.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...nternet-access
Not to nitpick but South Dakota has less people than Montgomery County, and Montana and Idaho have less than Philadelphia, and the rest have less than the Philadelphia area.

My guess is that the population in those states is more centralized in small pockets, PA has densely and sparely populated areas from one end to the other.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not to nitpick but South Dakota has less people than Montgomery County, and Montana and Idaho have less than Philadelphia, and the rest have less than the Philadelphia area.

My guess is that the population in those states is more centralized in small pockets, PA has densely and sparely populated areas from one end to the other.
While I see your point, PA has approximately 13 million residents with approximately 8.5 million or 65% of all residents living in either the Pittsburgh or Philadelphia metro areas. Missouri, who was listed as number one on the list for best internet connectivity for residents and most households with access to high speed internet has approximately 6 million residents with 4.8 million or 80% of all residents living in either Kansas City or St. Louis. In other words, Missouri has more of its population concentrated in its two major cities than PA and still manages to provide excellent internet for its rural and semi-rural residents. Why can't PA do the same?

Old 05-30-2019, 04:29 PM

I'm not sure how you would fairly compare this. You would first have to define what is rural or semi rural. Then perhaps a comparison of people in those areas per mile of road that have electric? You mentioned Utah for example, you couldn't use population density itself because it's an enormous state with a whole lot of nothing in most areas. Nor sure if you have been there but you can drive for hours and there is literally nothing.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
In other words, Missouri has more of its population concentrated in its two major cities than PA and still manages to provide excellent internet for its rural and semi-rural residents. Why can't PA do the same?

Is their rural and semi rural population spread out over the entire state or is it more likely to be concentrated in smaller towns? You can get broadband access at this small dirt road becsue you have about 50 houses close together. Any of the side roads the houses might be as much as 1/2 a mile spaced apart and unlikely to have access to broadband.

https://goo.gl/maps/ajwa34h67TxHnFZb8

While on the topic 5G should improve this substantially in time.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:02 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 9 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 978,865 times
Quote:
While I see your point, PA has approximately 13 million residents with approximately 8.5 million or 65% of all residents living in either the Pittsburgh or Philadelphia metro areas.
Technically incorrect. The PA portion of the Philadelphia metro is just over 4 million, while Pittsburgh is entirely contained in PA at 2.3 million. Total Pennsylvania population of those two metros is over 6.3 million, or about 50% of PA's population.

Philadelphia metro area has over 2 million+ in other states (New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland). I think Philadelphia is the only metro area (and urban area) in the US that includes counties or areas in 4 different states, correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by g500; 05-30-2019 at 07:23 PM..

Old 05-30-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Technically incorrect. The PA portion of the Philadelphia metro is just over 4 million, while Pittsburgh is entirely contained in PA at 2.3 million. Total Pennsylvania population of those two metros is over 6.3 million, or about 50% of PA's population.

Philadelphia metro area has over 2 million+ in other states (New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland). I think Philadelphia is the only metro area (and urban area) in the US that includes counties or areas in 4 different states, correct me if I'm wrong.
I should have posted references in the first post you are referring to and here are the numbers and citations I used for my calculations. The US Census most recent estimates have the PA population at 12,807,060 and I just rounded up to 13,000,000 assuming some additional population increases by the 2020 census and to make the math a little easier. I used 2,333,367 for the Pittsburgh MSA and 6,096,120 for the Philadelphia MSA. I rounded up to 8.5 million combining the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia MSAs and I appreciate your correction as I forgot how much of the Philadelphia MSA includes surrounding areas in other states. Your updated numbers demonstrate that PA is about 50% of the population in the larger cities (Pittsburgh and Philadelphia) and the other 50% of the population is spread out between the smaller cities and rural areas.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/PA
https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...pa-metro-area/
https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...md-metro-area/

Old 05-30-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm not sure how you would fairly compare this. You would first have to define what is rural or semi rural. Then perhaps a comparison of people in those areas per mile of road that have electric? You mentioned Utah for example, you couldn't use population density itself because it's an enormous state with a whole lot of nothing in most areas. Nor sure if you have been there but you can drive for hours and there is literally nothing.
While I understand your argument, the post by g500 demonstrates that the PA population is pretty evenly spread out between larger cities, smaller cities and rural areas. It would seem to me that it would be harder to build internet infrastructure in states with a clear divide between rural and major cities like Missouri and Minnesota, yet they are doing a much better job than PA. I think all of us can agree that PA needs to improve various aspects of its infrastructure and internet will be very important going forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania