Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 05:23 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
When Philadelphia County--one of the nation's only $100.0B+ GDP counties--alone produces about 1/6th of the Commonwealth's GDP,

And how much of that is dependent on other parts of the state? Comcast for example?

Quote:
PA would die without its cities,

And you would die without the rest of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 07:15 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
And how much of that is dependent on other parts of the state? Comcast for example?
I mean how much of Seattle's rapid growth via Amazon, Boeing, Nordstrom, Microsoft, etc. is attributable to consumer spending globally---not just in Seattle? How much of Northern Virginia's rapid growth via the incestuous relationship between the Federal government and contractors (especially DoD) are attributable to Federal tax revenues from the entire nation---not just in Northern Virginia? How much of Monroe County's tax revenues reaped from Sanofi Pasteur in Swiftwater are dependent upon how much money people in other areas spend to fill Sanofi Pasteur's coffers to keep it thriving? Ever shop at Walmart? You're helping Northwest Arkansas. Ever shop at Target? You're helping Minneapolis.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:14 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

And you would die without the rest of the state.
Comcast isn't dependent on the rest of PA... its one of the worlds largest corporations....

And the second part is simply not true. If you were to draw a vertical line through PA at Harrisburg, you really think the Eastern half of the state would die without the Western half? How?

To be clear, I am not advocating for a split or making it an East vs West debate, BUT the entire Philadelphia area, Lancaster County and the Lehigh Valley on the Eastern half of the state, that is 2/3+ of the states economy and wealth, you claiming that Eastern PA (specifically SEPA) would die without Western PA is absurd... How???

Its frustrating when people from rural/Western PA deny how vital the Philadelphia area is to the state, and the state of PA relies more on the Philadelphia area than the other way around, the facts are there and its been proven.... (not meant to insult Pittsburgh).

Its sad there is animosity toward the states biggest city and metro, hopefully the attitude changes one day.

Last edited by cpomp; 06-06-2019 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 06-07-2019, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I mean how much of Seattle's rapid growth via Amazon, Boeing, Nordstrom, Microsoft, etc. is attributable to consumer spending globally---not just in Seattle?

Exactly, if you want PA example a Texas company is drilling gas in PA and selling some of that gas to NY. The pencil pushers in the Texas HQ building certainly contribute to that revenue stream but the bulk of that economic activity is occurring here and in NY.

I've argued this in the past about people using basic revenue or tax revenue figures, you can't do that. If you were going to do this fairly it's an extremely complex calculation.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Comcast isn't dependent on the rest of PA... its one of the worlds largest corporations....
I didn't say they were wholly dependent on the rest of PA, the point is a significant part of their revenue is derived from the rest of PA. If you were going to make fair comparison you cannot attribute all of that to Philly.

Quote:
And the second part is simply not true. If you were to draw a vertical line through PA at Harrisburg, you really think the Eastern half of the state would die without the Western half? How?
If you were draw some border around the more uban areas creating libtopia cutting them off from conservatopia.... My first question for you is where are you going to gas and coal to create the power required for those cities? Milk, eggs and beef? Numerous other resources?

Conservatopia would also suffer because they have lost a significant revenue stream for their products but alt least they will have warm homes and be able to turn the lights on. Rural and urban economies are dependent on each other.

Quote:
you claiming that Eastern PA (specifically SEPA) would die without Western PA is absurd... How???
At no point did I claim anything like that, I'm from NEPA... Any East/West arguments are just as ridiculous as the rural/urban ones.

Last edited by thecoalman; 06-07-2019 at 04:07 AM..

Old 06-11-2019, 03:35 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
“And few places have higher student debt than Pennsylvania. Average debt per student in the commonwealth is $36,193, the highest in the country, compared to the national average of $28,288.”

Pennsylvania really needs to get higher education costs under control and it is embarrassing how expensive our state universities are in this state.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/college-g...175101777.html

Old 06-11-2019, 03:40 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
“According to Wolf, 78 percent of Pennsylvania's population live in communities that have city or community police agencies. He says the other 22 percent get an unfair break.”

I think Pennsylvania needs a better funding model for police and it is truly sad that the governor has been forced to propose this potential state police fee because some communities are taking advantage of state police protection without paying their fair share.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wnep.co...ction-fee/amp/

Old 06-11-2019, 08:20 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
I think Pennsylvania needs a better funding model for police and it is truly sad that the governor has been forced to propose this potential state police fee because some communities are taking advantage of state police protection without paying their fair share.

That's the tip of the iceberg. The fundamental problem with PA government is the unsustainable and absurd amount of fragmentation for public services, period. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that it's the single biggest impediment to progress across the state.

My hope is that when the Millennial generation begins to take more and more control, there's going to be a seachange in how government is administered. Regional cooperation and even *gasp* consolidation has to take place.

It's the only way forward if many townships/boroughs/cities want a future in any sense of the word.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
“According to Wolf, 78 percent of Pennsylvania's population live in communities that have city or community police agencies. He says the other 22 percent get an unfair break.”

I don't disagree they should pay something but some of those communities call the state police and they get their up to 30 minutes later assuming they are already doing something. Secondly they would be patrolling those areas with or without local police.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:48 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Agriculture is the second largest industry in PA. They aren't doing any of that in cities. I can live without cable. I can't live without a fairly priced, and available food supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania