Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2019, 07:37 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,899,762 times

Advertisements

I wanted to know what the law says for the minimum age for kids to sit in the front seat of a car.

The recommendation from multiple agencies is 12, but what is the law?

From PennDOT

Quote:
Pennsylvania's Seat Belt Law
Under Pennsylvania's primary child passenger safety law, children under the age of 4 must be properly restrained in an approved child safety seat anywhere in the vehicle.

Children under 2 must be secured in a rear-facing car seat until the child outgrows the maximum weight and height limits designated by the car seat manufacturer.

Children from age 4 up to age 8 must be restrained in an appropriate booster seat.

Children from age 8 up to age 18 must be in a seat belt.
They go on to say they recommend that kids under 12 sit in the back, but what's the law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 08:12 AM

8,046 posts, read 7,416,680 times
From the PA Driver's Manual, Chapter 5, Page 2:
"Children ages eight (8) and older, but under age 18 must be buckled in a seat belt, no matter where they ride in the vehicle (front or back seat). [emphasis added]

The part about it being "recommended" for children under 12 to ride in the back falls under the Air Bag Safety section on the same page.

PennDOT - Chapter 5

Old 07-23-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
From the PA Driver's Manual, Chapter 5, Page 2:
"Children ages eight (8) and older, but under age 18 must be buckled in a seat belt, no matter where they ride in the vehicle (front or back seat). [emphasis added]

The part about it being "recommended" for children under 12 to ride in the back falls under the Air Bag Safety section on the same page.

PennDOT - Chapter 5
Thanks, so the law is 8 years and older are legally allowed in the front seat.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:54 PM

8,046 posts, read 7,416,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Thanks, so the law is 8 years and older are legally allowed in the front seat.
Please click on the link and read it yourself. Remember the children in your car are your responsibility and you would be the one explaining to their parents and/or paying the ticket.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Please click on the link and read it yourself. Remember the children in your car are your responsibility and you would be the one explaining to their parents and/or paying the ticket.
Understand, I just want a clear answer and the law is worded poorly. From your link:

Quote:
If you are transporting passengers age eight (8) or older but less than age 18, they must wear seat belts, no matter where they are riding in the vehicle.
The "no matter where they are riding mean they can sit anywhere in the car, including the front seat. Therefore, there would be no ticket.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:59 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Understand, I just want a clear answer and the law is worded poorly. From your link:

I'd agree it's worded as well as it could, it appears it's recommendation for those between 8 and 12 to sit in the back. That really should be based on height/weight.

Quote:
The "no matter where they are riding mean they can sit anywhere in the car, including the front seat. Therefore, there would be no ticket.

That is there because an adult passenger does not need to wear a seat belt if they are sitting in the back.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:14 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,184 times
https://www.penndot.gov/TravelInPA/S...er-Safety.aspx

Quote:
8-12 Years

Keep your child in a booster seat until he or she is big enough to fit in a seat belt properly. For a seat belt to fit properly the lap belt must lie snugly across the upper thighs, not the stomach. The shoulder belt should lie snug across the shoulder and chest and not cross the neck or face. Remember: Your child should still ride in the back seat because it's safer there.

Personally, all kids belong in the backseat to me until they're big teens.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:22 PM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
My son was a short, skinny kid, so he was in a booster seat for an embarrassing long time. He also sat in the back for much longer than he liked.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
https://www.penndot.gov/TravelInPA/S...er-Safety.aspx

Personally, all kids belong in the backseat to me until they're big teens.
I don't disagree, but just want to know what PA Law says. It's been very difficult to find, so I'm asking here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania