Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 5,226 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My dad is taking me to my driver's license test in two weeks; I live in Pennsylvania but he lives in West Virginia. So he has a WV driver's license and the only car I have access to is his, which is registered in West Virginia.
Does anyone know if the testing center will let me take my test in a car that's not registered in Pennsylvania?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 10:37 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Yes you can use a car with out of state plates for your test. You would need a PA drivers license in order to register a car in PA but how can you get your PA drivers license if you don't have a PA registered car? See the dilemma?

Old 07-31-2019, 09:44 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
People that live in cities often don't have cars, somehow they get their licenses. I'm trying to remember when my kids got their licenses and I don't think owning a vehicle came into play once the on the road test was taken.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:51 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
According to this link (https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Servic...r-license.aspx) one only needs the following items to take the driver's test:
1)Your valid learner's permit
2)Parent or Guardian Certification Form DL-180C (PDF), if applicant is under 18 years of age
3)Proof of vehicle insurance
4)Proof of vehicle registration
5)Accompanying driver's valid driver's license

It does not make any distinction between out of state vehicles and in state vehicles as long as they have insurance and are registered.

If there is still doubt one could always call the driver's license centers and check.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:03 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
I don't see how the state the car is registered in could matter, as long as it's legal to drive in PA it should not matter that its registered in another state at all. The test is about the driver, not the car. Although, there are plenty of ridiculous laws on the books, so I guess its conceivable there could be some stupid law about it.

Old 11-08-2022, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckj5041 View Post
Hi all,

My dad is taking me to my driver's license test in two weeks; I live in Pennsylvania but he lives in West Virginia. So he has a WV driver's license and the only car I have access to is his, which is registered in West Virginia.
Does anyone know if the testing center will let me take my test in a car that's not registered in Pennsylvania?
Did they let you use it? Because I’m in this position right now?

Old 11-15-2022, 08:50 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
The OP only ever posted twice on this site, and that was back in 2019, so I don't think he'll be answering you.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:50 AM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
The OP only ever posted twice on this site, and that was back in 2019, so I don't think he'll be answering you.

musta failed the test....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania