Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2019, 11:23 AM

7,246 posts, read 10,492,507 times

Advertisements

I agree with what others have said.

I think it's fantastic that Lancaster has really revitalized itself as an ever-more-popular arts/creative hub in a small-city setting; it serves as a wonderful model for other small cities/boroughs throughout Pennsylvania for highly successful reinvention (although, as SCR alluded to, its location on the BosWash periphery has much to do with that).

This isn't to say Lancaster doesn't have elements of hipness, because certainly it does, but Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, by virtue of being (by far) the most dynamic, metropolitan cities in the Commonwealth, will always have a "leg-up" over any other spot in Pennsylvania in terms of trendiness, coolness, hipness, etc. or whatever other term you want to use to describe being at the cutting-edge of the zeitgeist.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 11:28 AM

9,339 posts, read 9,200,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Bucks County, maybe parts of Montgomery County would get the hippest place nod.
Although I always equate the term hipster with doofus. I think Elaine Bettis called Kramer that on Seinfeld. Trend followers and those intent on being seen and being culturally hip always seem to be out of touch in other areas.
Outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, I would give a shout out to Ardmore for at least being "trendy" which I guess somewhat equates to "hip.

All of that aside, I am very happy to see Lancaster doing well, Allentown / Bethlehem is another area that has improved leaps and bounds in recent years.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If we're going "hip" as in "hipster", then that title for PA would be either Lawrenceville (Pittsburgh) or maybe Fishtown or Northern Liberties in Philadelphia.
I would say Fishtown is both "hip" and "hipster", that would probably win the "hippest" award in PA, especially now there are some extremely top notch food options (including La Columbes roasting center) and talks of an art museum.

Northern Liberties is turning into more of a wealthy bedroom community, the hipster days of NoLibs are mostly over (in my opinion).

Old 08-07-2019, 12:24 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,262,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I would say Fishtown is both "hip" and "hipster", that would probably win the "hippest" award in PA, especially now there are some extremely top notch food options (including La Columbes roasting center) and talks of an art museum.

Northern Liberties is turning into more of a wealthy bedroom community, the hipster days of NoLibs are mostly over (in my opinion).
Yeah, Lawrenceville here in Pittsburgh is becoming more yuppie and less hipster/hip, too, now that rents are well north of $1,000/month for a 1-BR, and rowhomes sell for $300,000+.

I would think Fishtown would be the "hippest" place in all of PA, then.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:06 PM

997 posts, read 1,303,409 times
We moved to downtown Lancaster from downtown Austin. Lancaster city core is small and "growing more hip" fairly quick from I what can tell. Definitely up and coming with lots to do. We were out last week for First Friday...first time with our kiddo...so many people were out and about, hot girls all dressed up, bars playing music, etc.

Austin is a foodie mecca with ethnic restaurants galore, and I was completely surprised to see how many places we have here. I won't link it but the recent NY Times article goes into depth about places and people of the city.

I'm sure it's the same in parts of Pburgh and home prices are going up quickly as people (like us, admittedly) discovered Lanc for the schools, QOL, safety and affordable home pricing. Also there are some cool old row homes, both flipped and unflipped that are walkable to coffee/food and parks. We've yet to visit Pburgh but Philly was a disappointment for sure. Also, Baltimore, DC, Philly, NYC are a fairly short train ride away since Amtrak has a station here. Bonus, somewhat close to beaches and the Poconos for skiing.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:22 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,415,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

I think Fishtown is edging closer and closer to becoming this wealthy bedroom community. There are many 2 bedroom rentals going for 2-3k/mo. That is pretty dang expensive for Philly, imo.There are still some cheaper options in the area, but I think they are dwindling.

The Clark Park/Cedar Park area of West Philly is also very "hip" and gets little recognition here. Baltimore Avenue is filled with 20/30-something "radicals." Easy Passyunk is another area with a lot of hipsters. I think Fishtown has been gentrifying for longer (or maybe faster?), and its built environment is also more reminiscent of Brooklyn than the former two, and therefore it gets more recognition.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:01 AM

7,246 posts, read 10,492,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
I'm sure it's the same in parts of Pburgh and home prices are going up quickly as people (like us, admittedly) discovered Lanc for the schools, QOL, safety and affordable home pricing. Also there are some cool old row homes, both flipped and unflipped that are walkable to coffee/food and parks. We've yet to visit Pburgh but Philly was a disappointment for sure. Also, Baltimore, DC, Philly, NYC are a fairly short train ride away since Amtrak has a station here. Bonus, somewhat close to beaches and the Poconos for skiing.
Interesting that you'd find Philly disappointing, as in a number of ways it's like a "mega Lancaster," or Lancaster alternatively is a "mini Philly," at least in terms of the built environment, vibe and ratio of gentrified-to-rough-around the edges neighborhoods.

Although given the prices in/around Philly's most desirable neighborhoods nowadays, I can see some level of disappointment relative to cost-of-living differences between similarly desirable areas in Lancaster and Philly.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I think Fishtown is edging closer and closer to becoming this wealthy bedroom community. There are many 2 bedroom rentals going for 2-3k/mo. That is pretty dang expensive for Philly, imo.There are still some cheaper options in the area, but I think they are dwindling.

The Clark Park/Cedar Park area of West Philly is also very "hip" and gets little recognition here. Baltimore Avenue is filled with 20/30-something "radicals." Easy Passyunk is another area with a lot of hipsters. I think Fishtown has been gentrifying for longer (or maybe faster?), and its built environment is also more reminiscent of Brooklyn than the former two, and therefore it gets more recognition.
I could see Fishtown following a smaller DUMBO, Brooklyn format.
I still think Fishtown is still plenty hip, probably edging more toward chic / refined with the recent openings of several restaurants (Suraya being a big one), and new boutique hotel coming.

I don't think Fishtown will get as sleepy as NoLibs since Frankford Ave is better commercial corridor than 2nd St and Girard, and the larger buildings and footprints are a blessing for Fishtown.
Part of what made NoLibs go the other direction was the construction of hundreds of $1M Mc-rowhomes, which do nothing to enliven a neighborhood.

Clark Park/Cedar Park are def hip, Passyunk is (to me) has more similarities to Fishtown than differences, but less Brooklyn feeling.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:01 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,262,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
We moved to downtown Lancaster from downtown Austin. Lancaster city core is small and "growing more hip" fairly quick from I what can tell. Definitely up and coming with lots to do. We were out last week for First Friday...first time with our kiddo...so many people were out and about, hot girls all dressed up, bars playing music, etc.

Austin is a foodie mecca with ethnic restaurants galore, and I was completely surprised to see how many places we have here. I won't link it but the recent NY Times article goes into depth about places and people of the city.

I’m sorry to read that you were disappointed/underwhelmed by Philadelphia. If that is the case you’ll probably also find Pittsburgh not to your liking since Philadelphia does most things better than Pittsburgh (albeit we have less violent crime and a more affordable real estate market overall).

Old 08-12-2019, 09:24 PM

1,811 posts, read 657,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Eh. I wouldn't call Lancaster "hip". It is growing very quickly, though. It has an Apple Store, Wegmans, and Whole Foods Market, for what it's worth, and Lancaster County should reach 600,000 in population in the 2020's. It benefits from being close to Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Harrisburg.
Census estimate in 2010 was 519,446 and in 2018 it's 543,557. It'd be a significant jump to 600,000 even by 2028.

The Sears in Park City Center will be converted to a Round 1 entertainment center. I'm surprised macy's didn't pursue space in the mall though, with it being an A mall with Apple Store and the like.

Lancaster has a strong mall and two outlet factory malls. (maybe macy's doesn't want to compete with the outlets) With Dutch Wonderland and other attractions, Lancaster County has a tourist appeal, more so than other counties in Central PA or even the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton region. It also benefits that Lancaster is accessible via Amtrak on the Keystone Corridor, providing access to Philly and NYC, while Baltimore/DC is drive-able at least. Both PHL and BWI are within 90 minutes of drive which isn't that bad. (Better than Harrisburg's distance to them even though MDT is the local airport).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania