Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 01:54 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times

Advertisements

This time of the year I go to buy most of my produce at a local Amish Farmers Market. However, bought some Butternut Squash and Eggplant at my local Walmart. While removing the stickers on it, I saw not just USA product, but PENNSYLVANIA Product. Wow, Ok. Even better to support our local farmers!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 05:36 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
This time of the year I go to buy most of my produce at a local Amish Farmers Market. However, bought some Butternut Squash and Eggplant at my local Walmart. While removing the stickers on it, I saw not just USA product, but PENNSYLVANIA Product. Wow, Ok. Even better to support our local farmers!!!!
You have the Amish market at Tractor supply every Friday until the weather turns cold or their crops are finished. You also have the farmer's market in Mt. Pocono behind the municipal building (I don't know the days or the hours on that one).

There is a larger Amish market out in Blakeslee every Saturday. They usually have a barbeque going besides their produce. It is located about half a mile south of Route 80 on Route 115.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:25 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I love going to all the farm stands in eastern Erie County when I visit my mom. Last weekend I came home with a trunk full of tomatoes and peaches, as well as plums, green beans, garlic, onions, cabbage, and cantaloupe. I'm an equal opportunity customer - I stop at all of them and buy a little at each stand.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You have the Amish market at Tractor supply every Friday until the weather turns cold or their crops are finished. You also have the farmer's market in Mt. Pocono behind the municipal building (I don't know the days or the hours on that one).

There is a larger Amish market out in Blakeslee every Saturday. They usually have a barbeque going besides their produce. It is located about half a mile south of Route 80 on Route 115.
Did not know there was one at the Tractor place. I've been to the one in Blakeslee. Much bigger but a bit far to go on a regular basis.

The one behind the municipal building moved to an old, closed down restaurant parking lot off 196. That is the one I go to. I read they were having problems paying the fees at the municipal building. They seem to be doing better off 196; more visible and more parking.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:20 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Did not know there was one at the Tractor place. I've been to the one in Blakeslee. Much bigger but a bit far to go on a regular basis.

The one behind the municipal building moved to an old, closed down restaurant parking lot off 196. That is the one I go to. I read they were having problems paying the fees at the municipal building. They seem to be doing better off 196; more visible and more parking.
The biggest one in our area is the Allentown Farmer's Market: https://allentownfarmersmarket.com/. My problem is that we always stopped when they were closed; like now. We would be down in the area for shopping and just decide to go check them out and we always chose the wrong time. They will not open again until Sep. 5th according to that link.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The biggest one in our area is the Allentown Farmer's Market: https://allentownfarmersmarket.com/. My problem is that we always stopped when they were closed; like now. We would be down in the area for shopping and just decide to go check them out and we always chose the wrong time. They will not open again until Sep. 5th according to that link.
The one by me on 196 has a big sign outside listing their hours: Wednesdays and Saturdays from 8 AM to 3 PM.

As far as the market at the Tractor Store off 380 on Fridays, I wonder if it is the same Amish family who runs the one on Wednesdays and Saturdays off 196? I should go to that. Been going since I moved here and can recognize the Father, Mother, Sons, and Daughter. They did tell me their farm is about 50 miles away from here. Forget the name of the place where it is.

Yes, even "English" develop a rapor when they are repeat customers. I've had many a discussion about cooking with the Wife. Her Husband just smiles at us and walks away. Ah, Women! lol

Old 08-28-2019, 04:04 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
I have a choice of 3 honor stands within 5 minutes of my house, I belong to a local CSA and there's a farmers market in my small town every Sunday. And I have a small garden. Once May hits, I very rarely buy produce at a grocery store. Sadly, that's only 6 months of the year.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:40 PM

I can't grow anything here and not because of weather. Wildlife eats just about everything, including my garbage. Husband even contacted the Game Commission to ask what can he use to keep the animals away.

Just life in semi-rural PA I suppose.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:53 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
We have our garden planted right next to our house, where we used to have bushes and a dog that, sadly, like to kill small critters. That seems to allow me to grow just a few tomatoes and herbs.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:43 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,304 times
Went for a drive this weekend to get apples at a farm that has been there for over 100 years. Best apples I have ever had. I go several times a year when they are in season. Love farmers markets but have not come across one close to me with a schedule that works with mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania