Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 03:38 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallop the Spot View Post

Should I continue on US-15 between I-80 and Williamsport, or should I hop over to I-180?

North of the US15 I-80 interchange, the road is mostly 3 lanes with a lot of hills and twists and turns and then there is the really big Bald Eagle hill between Montgomery and South Williamsport. Many vehicles avoid this stretch of 15 by using I-80 to I-180.

See video for a drivers eye view of this stretch but going south from Williamsport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScHj...NZqEK4QJz3otbN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 10:55 AM

273 posts, read 317,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallop the Spot View Post
Should I continue on US-15 between I-80 and Williamsport, or should I hop over to I-180?
With rare exceptions, following US 15 straight through Allenwood will be faster than taking I-180 out and around. Under typical conditions, US 15 is a few minutes faster (and about 11 miles shorter) between New Columbia and Williamsport. It is hilly, and as was mentioned, there’s a fairly steep (6.5%) climb from PA 54 to the summit of Bald Eagle Mountain. But “twists and turns” is inaccurate; curves are fairly gradual and few, and the road is generally three lanes—with the uphill side having a second lane for passing.

The bonus of taking the US 15 route is the commanding view of the Williamsport area that you get just after cresting Bald Eagle Mountain.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:45 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Maybe I exaggerated a little but the section between Corning and Elmira is like a "miracle mile." There's the big Arnot Mall and lots of restaurants and "big box" retailers. Busy on Sundays too.

If you go the Rt 15 way, you can easily get stuck in traffic around the Shamokin Dam/Selinsgrove area. Rt. 15 from Shamokin Dam to Williamsport is heavily travelled and mostly 3 lanes. Then there is the big hill between Allenwood and South Williamsport, which can be scary especially if you are sandwiched between 2_ 18 wheelers.
Dude. I have NEVER once gotten stuck on 15 or 86 through Big Flats, ever. Not in thirty plus years.

There simply is not enough people to cause that kind of traffic.

Try driving through Boston or Baton Rouge someday, THAT is traffic.

All you are doing is discouraging a beautiful route and being negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania