Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 10,906 times

Advertisements

Hello to All,

I am really considering moving to York from MD along w/ my fiance and two teenage sons. I am a 30yr old AA female who lives in la la land wishing that people in the world were not color struck, but the harsh reality is that there is racism every where. I currently live in Howard County which has very good schools and is pretty diverse. I am curious to know about the high schools in York and if my kids would fit in socially there.I am all about education but, I do not want my sons to feel uncomfortable going to school for any reason.

It would really be wonderful to move to York burbs into our first home and feel safe and feel welcome by York natives and meet new people and just live a happy life. Is that possible here in York?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 06:17 AM

60 posts, read 374,338 times
Default MD to PA

Morgan;

I grew up in Montgomery County MD. I went to Towson U and lived in Baltimore County for 8 years. I moved to york PA 2 years ago and still work in towson. I have been in Howard County too many times to mention. Of any county in MD, Carroll and Howard are probably most like York County PA (note I have not been to the counties west of Frederick)

Some areas of York are more rural, but it isnt the midwest in terms of open space and number of people. As far a city living in HOCO, the only city there is columbia and the little part of laurel. I dont know which you lived in, but neither is a big jump from the suburbs of york. When I say suburbs of york, that would be the townships around york city proper.

York City proper is a little baltimore and a little annapolis. It is not big, and that is how it relates to annapolis. but there are some rough areas like baltimore. It is going to be more diverse the closer you are to the city. But from knowing some people from Howard, there is plenty of bigotry there, and I would assume the same here in york, although I have seen little.

As far as schools go, there is a BIG tax here in PA, but unlike MD it is strictly a school tax and goes to the school system. If you know anything of the baltimore city school problem, you know the issues with having a one tax system where funds can (and ultimately will) be diverted for other reasons.

Schools are good here in PA, and have very competitive jobs. There are websites that list the number of students and their racial and economic makeup, as well as scores.

A quick ranking (from those sites and others here) 1) Dallastown, 2) York Suburban, 3) Central, 4) Red Lion...

That should help you pick the area to live in. However, the better systems cost more in taxes, and the housing prices reflect that as well.

So to answer you simply, yes, you can find that in York County. Some areas may be more receptive than others. But growing up in MD, it is that way everywhere unfortunately.

Shrewsbury and New Freedom could be described as MD north, since there are numerous transplants there. But since most people from MD tend to move there, the house prices are high.

Hope this helps, you can always direct message me if you have more specific questions.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:29 AM

16 posts, read 72,072 times
york suburban is pretty welcoming as well as central york but of course there are problems everywhere it depends on where you want to be but most house for the dollar would probably be york suburban the market here is pretty steady and the houses move fairly quickly there are a lot of good deals out there

Old 09-13-2009, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 9,565 times
My husband and I live in Baltimore,Md and the area is considered the city. We are planning on buying my friends house in York,pa. considered hillcroft 17403 zip. IS this area considered suburban? We r looking for a nice quiet area to raise our 4yr old son and 2month old daughter. We know very little about taxes and life there.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 33,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion17 View Post
Morgan;

. . . there is a BIG tax here in PA, but unlike MD it is strictly a school tax and goes to the school system. If you know anything of the baltimore city school problem, you know the issues with having a one tax system where funds can (and ultimately will) be diverted for other reasons.
Agreed definitely check out property taxes and understand that they DO GO UP from time to time so don't buy the largest house you can afford and be on the very edge, then when taxes go up you find yourself in a rough spot.

For more information on the area, SYCP discusses topics around southern York County/York County. Including shows on PA local tax and political structure which is much different from MD. Also property taxes and property tax reform. Local sports. Local events, arts, history, etc. You may find it very useful in understanding the area.

Southern York County Podcast | Your Podcast.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:05 AM

429 posts, read 1,857,679 times
Couple of questions.

1) Is York County suburban or rural?
2) Is this considered part of metro Bawlmer?
3) What sports teams do people root for?
-I would think since Bawlmer is so much closer this would be Bawlmer country.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:50 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,914,897 times
Hillcroft is in the York Suburban School District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania