Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 11:07 PM

158 posts, read 450,879 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My partner, child, and I live in Seattle, WA, one of the most expensive cities in the United States. Neither of us works in tech, and neither of us make high incomes, so we're quickly being pushed out.

I've recently been offered a job in Lancaster making ~$10,000 more than I make now, and ~$20,000 less than we make together. This puts us, according to [Numbeo](Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site), about $10,000 over what we would need to make in Lancaster to live a comparable life to what we live here in Seattle.

Money isn't everything, however. Our kiddo is involved in ballet and acting here. The ballet school is prestigious, and we're fortunate that we've able to send her there for the past four years.

Browsing towns near Lancaster - York and Harrisburg, mainly - it doesn't appear that there are many ballet companies in the area, or even dance academies that are serious about children's levels of ballet. I'm also unsure about acting companies, but it seems Harrisburg has a couple?

I'd love to have some of you to chime in that are more familiar with these areas and the performing arts communities in these areas.

Performing Arts tend to have stronger communities on the east coast anyways, but as PA is a bit removed from NY, it may be less of a thing? We just really don't want to ruin our kid's creative outlets!

Last edited by Yac; 12-16-2019 at 01:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 11:55 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
There are very few schools in PA that specialize in the performing arts. There's an arts charter school in Harrisburg. That's the closest to Lancaster.

https://www.casa-arts.org/

There is also the PA Ballet Academy, which is located in Camp Hill across the river from Harrisburg.

https://www.paballetacademy.org/

And have a look at the thread below relating to the general friendliness of the folks in and around Lancaster.

//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...lancaster.html

Old 12-16-2019, 11:56 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
The Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet located in Carlisle, Pennsylvania is considered to be among one of the top youth Ballet schools in the country. Youth from all over the world train at this school. https://www.cpyb.org/about

Carlisle is a bit of a trip from Lancaster. Lancaster is home to Vy Ballet, which is also a good school, although not as prestigious as Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet. https://vyballet.com/

If you are interested in Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet, I would suggest looking around Elizabethtown, PA which is about 30 minutes to Lancaster City. 30 minutes to Harrisburg City and 45 minutes to Carlisle.

It is a nice smaller town, located within a good school district and home to a small liberal arts college.

If you prefer more of the urban vibe, than I would stick with living in Lancaster (which is a beautiful historic small city) and attending the Lancaster school.

Old 12-16-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post

If you are interested in Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet, I would suggest looking around Elizabethtown, PA which is about 30 minutes to Lancaster City. 30 minutes to Harrisburg City and 45 minutes to Carlisle.

It is a nice smaller town, located within a good school district and home to a small liberal arts college.

The OP mentioned the word "partner," which to me implies LGBTQ- please correct me if I am wrong.

If that is the reality, living in Elizabethtown, which is mostly populated by Mennonites, would present problems.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
There are very few schools in PA that specialize in the performing arts. There's an arts charter school in Harrisburg. That's the closest to Lancaster.

https://www.casa-arts.org/

There is also the PA Ballet Academy, which is located in Camp Hill across the river from Harrisburg.

https://www.paballetacademy.org/

And have a look at the thread below relating to the general friendliness of the folks in and around Lancaster.

//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...lancaster.html
Thank you! Those are fantastic resources!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
The Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet located in Carlisle, Pennsylvania is considered to be among one of the top youth Ballet schools in the country. Youth from all over the world train at this school. https://www.cpyb.org/about

Carlisle is a bit of a trip from Lancaster. Lancaster is home to Vy Ballet, which is also a good school, although not as prestigious as Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet. https://vyballet.com/

If you prefer more of the urban vibe, than I would stick with living in Lancaster (which is a beautiful historic small city) and attending the Lancaster school.
This is great information, thanks! It's definitely a bit tricky when simply searching "children's theater" or "children's acting near x" when you're not familiar with the area.

Quote:
The OP mentioned the word "partner," which to me implies LGBTQ- please correct me if I am wrong.

If that is the reality, living in Elizabethtown, which is mostly populated by Mennonites, would present problems.
We're actually a heterosexual couple, but lean very progressively. In this part of the States, folks are using partner in place of other terms no matter what their couple/gender preference/alignment.

This is great information, though - thank you for noticing. We definitely want to be closer to more progressive areas, but we also know that PA is a red state with only a couple of blue pockets.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:03 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uRabbit View Post
Thank you! Those are fantastic resources!

This is great information, thanks! It's definitely a bit tricky when simply searching "children's theater" or "children's acting near x" when you're not familiar with the area.

We're actually a heterosexual couple, but lean very progressively. In this part of the States, folks are using partner in place of other terms no matter what their couple/gender preference/alignment.

This is great information, though - thank you for noticing. We definitely want to be closer to more progressive areas, but we also know that PA is a red state with only a couple of blue pockets.

I would suggest sticking around Lancaster. Lancaster city is actually quite progressive and it truly is a beautiful city and one of the oldest inland colonial cities in the USA. There is great deal of art galleries, shows, events, etc.

i.e Lancaster is home to a Whole Foods and Apple Store. Not that it 'makes' a place, but gives you a sense of its amenities.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:10 PM

Thank you all for your comments. Lancaster seems like a great place. However, I'm noticing on SchoolDigger.com, GreatSchools.org, and Niche.com, that public schools in Lancaster are pretty bad. Seems like you'll want to be zoned for a school just outside of Lancaster if you want a good one. Thoughts on that?

Old 12-29-2019, 04:00 PM

If you still insist on moving to Lancaster, the only area that I recommend is Manheim Township (not to be confused with Manheim Borough). The school district is widely regarded as the best in Lancaster County. Many Lancaster area professionals and F&M faculty members live there.

Have you seen the thread linked below?

//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...ople-rude.html

Old 12-29-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
If you still insist on moving to Lancaster, the only area that I recommend is Manheim Township (not to be confused with Manheim Borough). The school district is widely regarded as the best in Lancaster County. Many Lancaster area professionals and F&M faculty members live there.
Lancaster is just where the job will be. We've also looked at York and Harrisburg, since they're not terribly far away. We will be starting with one vehicle, however, and I haven't yet seen a bus route between the cities.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:17 PM

There are trains between Lancaster and Harrisburg. Time is 35-40 minutes, cost currently is $12 one way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania