Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite region/metro/city
Philadelphia (city) 19 38.78%
Suburban Philadelphia 5 10.20%
Lehigh Valley + Northeastern PA 4 8.16%
South-Central Pennsylvania 5 10.20%
Allegheny County 3 6.12%
The "rest" of PA 13 26.53%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 07:23 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite region/metro/city in Pennsylvania? In hopes of a fair challenge, I have grouped parts of Pennsylvania to more evenly reflect population and influence, while acknowledging that population or economic prominence do not necessarily equate preference.

Weigh criteria on your own specific preferences. Some criteria: quality of life, economy, culture, infrastructure, education, amenities, scenery, recreation, activities.

Philadelphia: city/county limits.

Suburban Philadelphia: Delaware, Montgomery, Chester and Bucks counties.

Lehigh Valley + Northeastern PA: I combined these for a better match up. Think of this as the 476 corridor (and beyond) past the Philly metro.

South-Central Pennsylvania: Harrisburg-Lancaster-York metros. Adams, Berks, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Huntingdon, Juniata, Lancaster, Lebanon, Mifflin, Perry, Snyder, and York counties. This is Pennsylvania Dutch Country.

Allegheny County: Pittsburgh and its inner suburbs.

The “rest” of PA: Named for lack of a better, all-encompassing term. This is a big geographical area comprised of a lot of conservation land such as the Northern Wilds and Laurel Highlands. Most of Northern and Western Pennsylvania are in this group with smaller cities such as Erie, Williamsport, Altoona, and State College. This category has some of Pennsylvania's most breathtaking natural scenery. (I give the outer metro Pittsburgh counties to this category because overall, they reflect the more politically conservative and rural make up of this category, and this category can use the population bump).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 10:53 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
I love the city of Philadelphia so much. But suburban Philadelphia is one of the nicest suburban regions in the USA. And sadly nearly no one in the rest of the state knows this. Literally the wealth and character are top 3 in the nation.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:43 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Philadelphia is obviously a center for culture, history, energy, food, etc. But I second the suburban Philadelphia option.
Truly a wonderful region and rather under the radar from a national perspective.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:50 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
Why not include a separate category for the city of Pittsburgh? Allegheny county is pretty big and Imperial doesn't have much in common with the city of Pittsburgh.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:36 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
I think Pottsville, a Schuylkill County coal town that hung on because of the Yuengling Brewery and is now on the upswing, is a nice little town. So I voted "other".

My wife and I have also talked about retiring to the Danville area.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:45 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I smell a southeastern Pennsylvania bias with this post. You left northwestern Pennsylvania, a corner of the state like no other, out of your poll.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I smell a southeastern Pennsylvania bias with this post. You left northwestern Pennsylvania, a corner of the state like no other, out of your poll.
Well, thank you for sniffing your way into my thread! I allocated it to the “rest of PA,” because I figured Erie/Northwest Pennsylvania does not pack a big enough punch in itself. That option seems to be doing well. Congratulations!

Old 03-03-2020, 04:56 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
I went “rest of PA”.

Most of the metros have an old, rust belt vibe that gives off a melancholy vibe to me. I don’t like spending time in those parts of PA or other similar places outside of PA. Out in the sticks, at least, there’s a bit of that Appalachia country boy vibe. Not rich, but living kinda well, in a way.

Last edited by jcp123; 03-03-2020 at 05:48 PM..

Old 03-03-2020, 05:46 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
I love Philly. Pittsburgh is alright. My favorite parts of the state are the mountainous rural areas, quaint small towns like Gettysburg, Franklin, Hollidaysburg, and the small historic cities like York, Pottsville, Johnstown, etc. So I picked "other."

Old 03-04-2020, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
Why not include a separate category for the city of Pittsburgh? Allegheny county is pretty big and Imperial doesn't have much in common with the city of Pittsburgh.
Again, proportionality. Pittsburgh is a city of ~300K. I’d be decried for stacking odds against metro Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania