Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 10:10 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
To say nothing of our state government's blatant pro-Philly bias as opposed to places like Johnstown or Erie. Personally, I wish Philadelphia would secede from PA or become part of New Jersey.
You have no idea how bad Illinois has it then.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
No, this doesn’t sound like a dig post at all.

I wish SEPA would secede from this low income, anti-change, stuck in the past state.

Explain how state government is pro-Philly? Seems the opposite to me. Also, government spending is bigger in SEPA vs. Johnstown or Erie because the bulk of the wealth and tax revenue is from the SE.
Seriously this. Illinois is lucky. They have Chicago to make them appear blue. Philly has Pennsylvania to make it appear red.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
Pennsylvania is a very diverse state and I love the fact that we have cities like Pittsburgh and Philadelphia as well as a national forest and a great lake. Philadelphia has some of the best museums in the US and the world. I absolutely love the Rodin Museum, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and the Franklin Institute. The Reading Terminal Market is one of my favorite markets in the world I currently go to the Cleveland West Side Market for my indoor market house fix, but I still miss the Reading Terminal Market. My advice is to enjoy all that Pennsylvania has to offer and don't try to compare areas that are very different.
Actually PA is quite a bit less diverse than even Illinois, a Midwestern prairie state. And PA is a lot less diverse and whiter than all of it's Northeastern counterparts. I hope this changes.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:23 AM

142 posts, read 86,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
You have no idea how bad Illinois has it then.
As I read the PA forum and you do too. We know that Philly region locals. Do not see they are favored whatsoever by Harrisburg and nowhere near the politically slug heat directed at Chicagoland. As have far too much clout in Springfield.

But that poster using Erie PA to a Johnstown PA. Can't say the vast majority of the state sats its all about Philly. I do not see that political bame game as if Philly over-powers PA politics in Harisburg.

Philadelphians see its the rest of the state with clout and they claim left out more.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Oh stop. That's a worst case scenario. WV(which isn't a bad state) still doesn't have a Pittsburgh, numerous smaller populated metros, bunch of higher ed, or industry. It'd likely be Wisconsin, Indiana or Virginia.
Yeah but without Philly PAs politics would be like WVs, even with Pittsburgh. If Philly didn't exist, Pittsburgh would basically be Des moines or Omaha, a pinpoint of blue in a sea of red with absolutely no say in its states politics.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:10 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Yeah but without Philly PAs politics would be like WVs, even with Pittsburgh. If Philly didn't exist, Pittsburgh would basically be Des moines or Omaha, a pinpoint of blue in a sea of red with absolutely no say in its states politics.
That is not true. The whole eastern part of Pennsylvania from Delaware county through Lehigh county went blue in the general election. In Lehigh county the Dems swept all of the county seat positions.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-19-2020, 04:21 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Seriously this. Illinois is lucky. They have Chicago to make them appear blue. Philly has Pennsylvania to make it appear red.
As recently as 2012 PA was not red.

Old 04-19-2020, 04:30 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
Quote:
WV, Iowa or Nebraska doesn't have the Lehigh Valley, Harrisburg, Lancaster or uppity liberal Chesco/Main Line(although if there was no Philly would there be a Main Line?) suburbanites. Again it'd be more of a Wisconsin or Indiana, maybe Minnesota w/o the winters.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:49 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Quote:
Actually PA is quite a bit less diverse than even Illinois, a Midwestern prairie state. And PA is a lot less diverse and whiter than all of it's Northeastern counterparts. I hope this changes.
Good point, but not what I was referring to in my previous post. I was speaking to diversity of topography, type/size of cities, state parks, regions, etc. I have always been fascinated at how different places like Erie, Scranton, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, State College, Johnstown, Lancaster, York, Allentown, etc. are from each other. Additionally, the various regions of the state such as NWPA, SWPA, SEPA, NEPA, Central PA, etc. are all very different and distinct. There are a diverse amount of opportunities for PA residents including large museums, arts, culture, sports, wilderness, a national forest, a great lake, hiking the Appalachian trail, etc.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:34 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 4 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 975,507 times
I've lived in central PA my whole life and I think we should recognize we have a major international city in our state. Philadelphia is certainly in the top 100 most important cities on Earth. IMO Philadelphia is somewhere between the seventh (7th) to ninth (9th) most important city nationally in the USA.

That being said, Philly is far from perfect. Blight, crime, and unemployment plague the city. It has a bad (and sometimes unfair) perception for being dangerous and harsh. North Philadelphia (Kensington) seems to have serious issues. West Philadelphia also has some of the same issues, but less pronounced.

I really hope Philadelphia will improve itself because Pennsylvania as a whole will benefit. Also Philadelphia has one of the best downtowns and some of the best urban bones in the country (only behind NYC, Chicago, maybe San Francisco). It has much potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania