Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 10:50 PM

10 posts, read 28,562 times

Advertisements

My (gay) partner and I will be relocating from California next year, and are considering the New Hope/Lambertville area as a possible place to live. We will be passing through the area in late May and will be able to stop in the area for about a day to gather some initial impressions. We realize that this isn't nearly enough time to get a real understanding of a new place, but it will help us to narrow our choices.

We are hoping to get help with two questions:

1. We are hoping to experience the true spirit of the city. Are there any “can't miss” places in the New Hope/Lambertville area we should put on our itinerary?

2. We'll also be scouting out possible places to live if we do move there. Our dream neighborhood is safe, has leafy streets with charming/nicer older homes, and tolerant, friendly neighbors. We would be grateful for any suggestions you'd care to share.

Thank you so much for your help.

Best regards,

Stu from California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 10:58 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Good evening, Stu.

Welcome in advance to Pennsylvania. New Hope is actually in Southeastern Pennsylvania, so you'd probably be best served re-posting your question in the Philadelphia sub-forum, as not many folks in Northeastern Pennsylvania are very familiar with Lower Bucks County.

As a gay male myself I've heard that New Hope is like Pennsylvania's version of Provincetown, MA, San Francisco, or Greenwich Village, NYC in terms of open-mindedness, diversity, eccentricity, etc., and I've always wanted to scope out the place. I think calling it a "city" is a HUGE stretch---you do realize that New Hope is about the size of a thimble, right? It's nice though because you're not a far drive from Philadelphia and all of its cosmopolitan offerings.

I wish you both the best of luck!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:40 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,256 times
Why not check out what the Wilkes Barre/Scranton area has to offer? I think you will really like it here. There is city life as well as great nature, state parks and such.

I lived near New Hope for a time and can tell you that it is only a few blocks of shops that smell of mildew because they get flooded alot.

Sorry to New Hope but after visiting a few times and seeing the high prices and nothing much else I wasn't in a rush to go back.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:10 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Chefkey, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is still LIGHT YEARS behind the rest of the nation in regards to "questionable" social values issues. There are still a lot of folks here who remember how the Wyoming Valley was in the 1950s and 1960s and want it to revert back to that era instead of opening their hearts and minds to embrace a NEW era. Yes, I do love living here, but comparing Wilkes-Barre to New Hope for a gay person would be like comparing Greenwich Village to Auschwitz!

Old 04-25-2008, 10:07 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Chefkey, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is still LIGHT YEARS behind the rest of the nation in regards to "questionable" social values issues. There are still a lot of folks here who remember how the Wyoming Valley was in the 1950s and 1960s and want it to revert back to that era instead of opening their hearts and minds to embrace a NEW era. Yes, I do love living here, but comparing Wilkes-Barre to New Hope for a gay person would be like comparing Greenwich Village to Auschwitz!
You may be right ScranBarre but the area is just not interesting. If they like a boring musty life then they will love living in New Hope.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:04 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,127,599 times
Actually,my wife and I were considering Doylestown,right near bucks county/
new hope.We have been going to new hope for 20+ years and loved It,
stayed at the lambertville Inn several times,and went to the festivals, Shad
festival in lambertville and peddlers village christmas,apple,strawberry fest.
But when It came down to It we got alot more for our money in good old clarks summit.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:45 PM

786 posts, read 1,592,688 times
Default Too touristy?

My partner and I lived in Phila burbs for 15 years. Pretty much anywhere you go in Bucks County is gay friendly. Personally, as a PA native and a frequent visitor to Phila., New Hope is too expensive, too touristy, not a lot of privacy, and unless you're into the bar scene and bikers, New Hope is a nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there. Lambertville is quaint and full of antique shops but again, unless you're going to set up a business, it's a very expensive place to purchase real estate. It would also be helpful to know why you're relocating, your ages, and whether you're including a retirement plan with your relocation, that might pull in more helpful feedback from others. We are currently relocating to Lewisburg, PA, a gay friendly university town, we researched our relocation for several years and this blog was very helpful in making our decision. You may want to consider an area that offers some academia, walking distance to essentials [like a grocery story, pharmacy, basic shopping, parks, libraries, class rooms, and proximity to a variety of people, of all ages, not a retirement village, not purely a young set, but variety. You won't get that in New Hope. Current day New Hope is a tourist town, there's few if any basic services, it's all restaurants and shops, and a tourist attraction. New Hope was set up by a bunch of ecclectic artists, many of them gay, but in my opinion, it has lost it's charm for many years now. It's busy, congested and loses it's charm fast when you live there. The shops are shops you see in any tourist town, it used to be unique but it's a standard tourist town now, you see the same shops at the beach, and any other area catering to tourists. We've had several friends who have moved in and back out for the reasons above. In the good ole days of disco [I know, I'm dating myself], New Hope was pure fun. The bars now are dark, the music is grunge and the crowds pensive and ruthless unless you're a young, good looking hunk. No room for variety like there was years a go. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania