Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 08:41 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Well, I won't be ... unless and until respected authorities provide a summary showing how many of those deaths also involved a serious pre-existing condition.

Figures don't lie ... but liars can figure.
The obese, hypertensives, and diabetics didn't fare well, but they're still dead.

Someone loved them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 04:02 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Well, I won't be ... unless and until respected authorities provide a summary showing how many of those deaths also involved a serious pre-existing condition.

Figures don't lie ... but liars can figure.
I just want to say that our media has not helped. They are still playing politics and have no interest if getting the news out to their viewers. The only thing that is important right now is how our medical establishment is handling the cases and how have they adapted to the current crisis.

I work with a man that has a brother that works in a local hospital. He has a girl friend that works in our only other hospital. So I asked him about four days ago how the hospitals were coping now that the cases are coming down. He asked both his brother and girl friend how their perspective hospitals were doing. The one, the day I asked him, had 8 patients in ICU and three of them had the corona virus. I believe he said that was out of a possible 23 ICU beds. The other had two floors that were set aside for the corona virus and now they have returned to 'normal' rooms.

I have no idea how our nursing homes are doing? But this is the kind of reporting that we should be getting. Without this kind of information we can easily be led by false information.

Unfortunately we do not get the news anymore. I don't even know when it happened; but many of the news outlets turned to that 'taboola' style adds mixed in with their regular stories. Then they wonder why nobody is watching or listening!

Old 06-04-2020, 04:41 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
So, what's better for the economy (morality aside, this is purely economic).

a) 200K+ dead and no economic shut down;
b) 50K to 150K dead and shutdown.

BTW, if they open everything up tomorrow, would you go to the mall? Disneyland? The movies?

The NBA, MLB, Wimbledon, all conventions, car shows... voluntarily shut down. Many F500 corporate offices voluntarily shut down.
We were sent home to work a week and a half before the shutdown order was issued.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:24 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I just want to say that our media has not helped. They are still playing politics and have no interest if getting the news out to their viewers. The only thing that is important right now is how our medical establishment is handling the cases and how have they adapted to the current crisis.

I work with a man that has a brother that works in a local hospital. He has a girl friend that works in our only other hospital. So I asked him about four days ago how the hospitals were coping now that the cases are coming down. He asked both his brother and girl friend how their perspective hospitals were doing. The one, the day I asked him, had 8 patients in ICU and three of them had the corona virus. I believe he said that was out of a possible 23 ICU beds. The other had two floors that were set aside for the corona virus and now they have returned to 'normal' rooms.

I have no idea how our nursing homes are doing? But this is the kind of reporting that we should be getting. Without this kind of information we can easily be led by false information.

Unfortunately we do not get the news anymore. I don't even know when it happened; but many of the news outlets turned to that 'taboola' style adds mixed in with their regular stories. Then they wonder why nobody is watching or listening!
My daughter took a Security Per Diem job in a NY Hospital in April. At the being she described Maternity shut down to accommodate virus patients. She told me about bodies being piled on top of each other in the Morgue. She even moved out of her home to protect her wife and very young son.

Daughter said the past couple of weeks everything has changed. Maternity has reopened (no need for COVID patients) and bodies are not piling up in the Morgue. This is in NEW YORK, far more of a Hot Spot,than NEPA. She came to see us here over Memorial Day Weekend, and moved back home on Friday.

My personal opinion COVID 19 is never going to go away, magic bullet vaccine or not. Has a vaccine eliminated the FLU?????

Fisheye, I know your worked for a Pharm but so did I in Corporate Finance. I came to my stance from a totally different angle. There are no bleeding hearts in FINANCE. It is all about $$$$$. That 1976 Flu Fiasco there really opened my eyes.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:16 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My daughter took a Security Per Diem job in a NY Hospital in April. At the being she described Maternity shut down to accommodate virus patients. She told me about bodies being piled on top of each other in the Morgue. She even moved out of her home to protect her wife and very young son.

Daughter said the past couple of weeks everything has changed. Maternity has reopened (no need for COVID patients) and bodies are not piling up in the Morgue. This is in NEW YORK, far more of a Hot Spot,than NEPA. She came to see us here over Memorial Day Weekend, and moved back home on Friday.

My personal opinion COVID 19 is never going to go away, magic bullet vaccine or not. Has a vaccine eliminated the FLU?????

Fisheye, I know your worked for a Pharm but so did I in Corporate Finance. I came to my stance from a totally different angle. There are no bleeding hearts in FINANCE. It is all about $$$$$. That 1976 Flu Fiasco there really opened my eyes.
And I come from the fact that I helped make a vaccine that saved millions from the terrible smallpox disease. Look at some of the old pictures of what smallpox did to the humans it infected. We basically eliminated smallpox in the whole world and because of that we shut down the program almost fifty years ago. Polio is another success program.

Granted that our flu vaccine is not 100% effective every year. But it still helps save lives. The pharmaceutical companies do not pick the formula for the vaccine; it is given to us by the CDC. It is an educated guess based on a lot of science; but sometimes they are not as accurate as many would like them to be. Regardless we save lives. If you don't get sick; then you don't infect your loved ones and the people you meet.

This corona virus has killed over 100,000 in the US alone. Hopefully some pharmaceutical company will come out with an effective vaccine. Of course it will need the public's help and I hope that many are more cooperative than you. But first any new vaccine needs to be proven both safe and effective.

One other point with this corona virus is that it could easily start a second wave. While the cases in our County have been going down; today we had 7. That could just be a glitch or it might be the starting sign of another wave? We really do not know until we can see what happens in the days to come. If the cases rise too quick we will go right back into another lockdown. Hopefully that is not the case. But these lockdowns are in place so our medical system never gets to the point that it has to deny some all available services. Nobody really wants to be admitted to an emergency tent ICU in the parking lot.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:46 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,258,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
And I come from the fact that I helped make a vaccine that saved millions from the terrible smallpox disease. Look at some of the old pictures of what smallpox did to the humans it infected. We basically eliminated smallpox in the whole world and because of that we shut down the program almost fifty years ago. Polio is another success program.

Granted that our flu vaccine is not 100% effective every year. But it still helps save lives. The pharmaceutical companies do not pick the formula for the vaccine; it is given to us by the CDC. It is an educated guess based on a lot of science; but sometimes they are not as accurate as many would like them to be. Regardless we save lives. If you don't get sick; then you don't infect your loved ones and the people you meet.

This corona virus has killed over 100,000 in the US alone. Hopefully some pharmaceutical company will come out with an effective vaccine. Of course it will need the public's help and I hope that many are more cooperative than you. But first any new vaccine needs to be proven both safe and effective.

One other point with this corona virus is that it could easily start a second wave. While the cases in our County have been going down; today we had 7. That could just be a glitch or it might be the starting sign of another wave? We really do not know until we can see what happens in the days to come. If the cases rise too quick we will go right back into another lockdown. Hopefully that is not the case. But these lockdowns are in place so our medical system never gets to the point that it has to deny some all available services. Nobody really wants to be admitted to an emergency tent ICU in the parking lot.
I listen to Dr Radio on SiriusXM sometimes and to be honest, they can't figure it out and neither can I. The seemingly best thing to do is to stay isolated. I'm thinking of all the businesses that will not survive, not that I care in lining it up with saving lives, but prices will likely go way up, pensions for which many people depend on after working their lives for will likely go down, social security etc may go out of business and drug addicts and alcoholics will be supported. The government can't back up its loans now but who's complaining and who will stop it. The reason I read that liquor stores were said to be necessary is because there are so many depending on alcohol consumption.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Yes, I lived through, and had, those two other Flu Pandemics. Very sickly kid and missed a lot of school.

Well remember the 1968 Pandemic. Working and living alone. Could not get out of bed and my Mom came to stay with me. Different attitude in those times. People weren't so terrified of getting sick. Mom wasn't and she never caught that flu from me. Some coworkers went to Woodstock, but I did not go with them. Maybe they spread that flu around the office? Article mentions a vaccine developed right after. Really? First time I ever heard of a Flu Shot was in 1976 when President Ford was on TV rolling up his sleeve.

I mentioned 2009 Pandemic specifically because everyone here on CD would have lived through that one. Yet, a lot of people did not know there was a Pandemic then because there was no big deal made of it.

Example? I was working in a Public Elementary School in Florida. So many of the kids, and younger Teachers, were all out sick, but the school was not shut down. We were joking it looked more like a Senior Center (over age 50) than a school. Might be something to it that those of us alive back in the 50's and 60's probably had some immunity from those other Pandemics.
I held off taking antibiotics once I learned doctors give them or used to every time someone came in with the sniffles. They didn't even know what was wrong with the person. But gave them antibiotics anyway. I lived through a couple of bad chest colds after that, with no antibiotics -- Waiting for the big one. I finally broke down last year and took the current slew of shots...after maybe 15 years of no vaccines.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:17 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I held off taking antibiotics once I learned doctors give them or used to every time someone came in with the sniffles. They didn't even know what was wrong with the person. But gave them antibiotics anyway. I lived through a couple of bad chest colds after that, with no antibiotics -- Waiting for the big one. I finally broke down last year and took the current slew of shots...after maybe 15 years of no vaccines.
N.B.: Vaccines and antibiotics are not the same thing.

Antibiotics, as their name implies, seek to kill whatever the bug is that's causing the illness or infection.

Vaccines are injections of either weakened live or killed viruses that are designed to trigger your body's immune response.

Vaccines work for a good long time. The bugs now mutate pretty quickly to counter the effect of the antibiotics.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Antibiotics, as their name implies, seek to kill whatever the bug is that's causing the illness or infection.

Vaccines are injections of either weakened live or killed viruses that are designed to trigger your body's immune response.

Vaccines work for a good long time. The bugs now mutate pretty quickly to counter the effect of the antibiotics.
Ok, thanks for that, I'll try to remember that. As far as the bugs mutating quickly, and me getting the flu shot last year after many years of not getting it and not getting the flu before or after the shot, plus refusing antibiotics in some cases, I didn't get the flu and I wonder if the body builds resistance to a bug and that bug later mutates to something similar, can one cope from the previous one.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Consider the immune system, how is it that the new bug is said to attach itself to a particular body part, such as the lungs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania