Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 AM

518 posts, read 1,792,760 times

Advertisements

I am driving myself nuts. We are a family from NJ looking to move to Pa. We are thinking Lewisburg, Allentown area, Mechanicsville, Elizabethtown or Greencastle. Talk about all over the place! All look nice on paper. We want good schools, economy that is normal to good. A nice downtown with lots of family planned events (parades, fairs). Our budget is $400K for a newer 4 bedroom home on at least .5 acres. I am also looking for an area that will hold its resale value down the road, so a desirable area is very important. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 09:38 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
I am driving myself nuts. We are a family from NJ looking to move to Pa. We are thinking Lewisburg, Allentown area, Mechanicsville, Elizabethtown or Greencastle. Talk about all over the place! All look nice on paper. We want good schools, economy that is normal to good. A nice downtown with lots of family planned events (parades, fairs). Our budget is $400K for a newer 4 bedroom home on at least .5 acres. I am also looking for an area that will hold its resale value down the road, so a desirable area is very important. Any help would be appreciated.
I'm not sure where Mechanicsville is, but if you meant Mechanicsburg then I would definitely recommend it. Lots of street parades in the summer and a very walkable downtown with shops. Same is true for Elizabethtown. They are also more affordable then anything close to Philly or the Lehigh Valley.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:38 PM

518 posts, read 1,792,760 times
Yes Mechnicsburg is the town. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:47 AM

955 posts, read 4,090,587 times
Elizabethtown is great. Small town located close to everything. My wife grew up there, and her parents lived there until they passed.
Allentown (the Lehigh Valley) is also great. We lived and worked there for 25 years until work took us away. The Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton areas are much busier than the the Harrisburg to Lancaster area.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:30 PM

26 posts, read 84,273 times
Central PA is a great area to live and raise a family. Some areas to consider in Central PA: Camp Hill, New Cumberland, Hershey, Elizabethtown, and Mechanicsburg (Hampden Township).

We have great public schools in the area as well. Feel free to check out this website: SchoolMatters - Home

The real estate market is extremely stable. In 2007, while other markets were depreciating, our homes appreciated by 2%. Thankfully, we are not affected by the large swings like Florida, Nevada, California, and Arizona.

Here are some other sites that may help narrow down your selection:
Harrisburg-Hershey-Central PA Welcome Center
Central Pennsylvania CVB : Hotels, Attractions & Tours For State College PA

Best of luck!!

Old 04-28-2008, 01:31 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,901 times
In elizabethtown what are the property taxes say on a 170,000 home say half acre?

Old 04-28-2008, 02:04 PM

26 posts, read 84,273 times
The property taxes on a home listed at $170,000 on a half acre is approximately $1900 per year.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:02 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,746 times
My personal preference out of the places you mentioned would be Lewisburg. It has everything you mentioned, but it is a bit of a drive from the city life if you want to take in a show at a larger venue, such as the Giant Stadium in Hershey or the Wachovia Arena in Wilkes-Barre.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:08 AM

16 posts, read 69,113 times
You can get a really nice 4 bedroom home in the Mechanicsburg / Camp Hill (Hampden Township) for $400k. The neighborhoods are nice, the schools are great and the homes are still appreciating even in this market. For events etc. there are some nice ones along the river in Harrisburg through the summer, about 10 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania