U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 06:20 AM

5,012 posts, read 2,648,196 times

Advertisements

sorry if this been discussed already but need to know what people think. I heard that the state may possibly not re-open the schools in the fall because of covid.

Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 06:37 AM

2,476 posts, read 1,980,807 times
That seems crazy to me. covid-19 is dangerous for the elderly and people with other serious medical conditions, for healthy kids it isn't. Here's the data from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c....htm#AgeAndSex

Old 05-05-2020, 07:55 AM

5,806 posts, read 5,193,239 times
It's not about educating kids, and it's not about health and safety. It's about politics.

If you want your kids back in school in September you have to make your voice heard by the politicians, not on some internet bulletin board. Call, text, or write to their offices.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:40 PM

7,654 posts, read 8,287,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
That seems crazy to me. covid-19 is dangerous for the elderly and people with other serious medical conditions, for healthy kids it isn't. Here's the data from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c....htm#AgeAndSex

The CDC link you provided shows death counts. School age children have very low death rates from Covid-19, but our low rate of testing does not provide statistics on the number of school age children who have contracted the virus and have been asymptomatic. It is highly likely that children could carry the virus home and infect family members without being sick themselves. Covid-19 in schools will spread rapidly. I've seen classrooms with over 35 students. They are coughing, sneezing, and touching each other. They are touching the same surfaces such as doorknobs, desks, computers, pencil sharpeners, etc. Many of these students are being raised by grandparents who are highly susceptible to the virus.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:48 PM

38,175 posts, read 67,999,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
That seems crazy to me. covid-19 is dangerous for the elderly and people with other serious medical conditions, for healthy kids it isn't.
Kids aren't the only people in classrooms: teachers, aides, cooks, custodians, administrators ... Some of them are older, some of them have health risks. To limit the discussion to just children is dismissing the people who are actually doing the educating.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:59 PM

1,375 posts, read 719,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Kids aren't the only people in classrooms: teachers, aides, cooks, custodians, administrators ... Some of them are older, some of them have health risks. To limit the discussion to just children is dismissing the people who are actually doing the educating.
Not to mention all of the parents, grandparents, etc. at home to whom students can carry back infectious diseases.

As a teacher, I totally agree. It seems crazy. I would be beyond disappointed if my first weeks (months? God forbid) of school with a totally fresh class started remotely. Right now, I can't imagine they won't find a way to make school happen in September. If schools are not reopened, I can only imagine and hope it is because it is critical to public health and the long-term goals of the country.

I am not sure exactly what jtab is suggesting about "politics," but keeping schools closed is not going to be a winning political message, period. The only way I can see officials making the move is if it is absolutely necessary. Who is going to be happy with it? Essentially no one. So how could it be political?

Old 05-05-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The CDC link you provided shows death counts. School age children have very low death rates from Covid-19, but our low rate of testing does not provide statistics on the number of school age children who have contracted the virus and have been asymptomatic. It is highly likely that children could carry the virus home and infect family members without being sick themselves. Covid-19 in schools will spread rapidly. I've seen classrooms with over 35 students. They are coughing, sneezing, and touching each other. They are touching the same surfaces such as doorknobs, desks, computers, pencil sharpeners, etc. Many of these students are being raised by grandparents who are highly susceptible to the virus.
That's right. People in the high risk group (elderly, people who have other significant medical conditions) need to isolate themselves, avoid contacting others, don't have anyone coming / going from their home, have groceries / supplies delivered. For everyone else, though, this isn't necessary. Actions need to be dictated by circumstances, rather than one size fits all. If 3/4 of the population has little to fear from covid-19 they should generally go about their business, while vulnerable people are protected until this ends, or there's an effective treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's right. See my response above. If people working in schools are vulnerable, they should absolutely shelter in place. For everyone else, it isn't necessary for them to shelter in place, and for everyone else to shelter in place actually harms the effort. With everyone sheltered we'll never get to community immunity. Protecting vulnerable people while letting everyone else go about their business will allow vulnerable people to go out again once community immunity is reached.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:07 PM

5,806 posts, read 5,193,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
... If schools are not reopened, I can only imagine and hope it is because it is critical to public health and the long-term goals of the country.

I am not sure exactly what jtab is suggesting about "politics," but keeping schools closed is not going to be a winning political message, period. The only way I can see officials making the move is if it is absolutely necessary. Who is going to be happy with it? Essentially no one. So how could it be political?
The decision to open or close the schools is ultimately made by politicians. They will have to choose which models to consider and which "health experts" to believe. I don't envy that position, but it is a political choice.

And the decision should be a local one, not made with the "goals of the country" in mind. Don't close schools in rural areas because there might be an outbreak in Kennett Square or Queens, NYC.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:30 PM

1,375 posts, read 719,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The decision to open or close the schools is ultimately made by politicians. They will have to choose which models to consider and which "health experts" to believe. I don't envy that position, but it is a political choice.

And the decision should be a local one, not made with the "goals of the country" in mind. Don't close schools in rural areas because there might be an outbreak in Kennett Square or Queens, NYC.
I don't envy the decision either. My point is, if politicians just keep schools closed willy-nilly without just cause, it will be highly unpopular. It will only receive hesitant approval if it is beneficial to public health. Usually, when people say, "'x' is about politics," they mean to say a particular person or party is doing 'x' to gain a political upper-hand, and thus gain or remain in power. Therefore, the theoretical decision to keep schools closed is not about politics.

Something this pandemic has taught us about is the myth of the "local." We are all interconnected in this mess, and one locality messing up social distancing has obscure, yet dangerous consequences for others.

Old 05-05-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Something this pandemic has taught us about is the myth of the "local." We are all interconnected in this mess
That's very true. This is why I've been skeptical of the lock down strategy. It won't be safe for vulnerable people to be out again until either there's a vaccine, a cure, or enough nonvulnerable people get and recover from covid-19 to have community immunity. While I'm hopeful for a vaccine or cure, the reality is there's no way to know how long either of those will take. It could easily be months - years. Protecting the vulnerable people while everyone else develops community immunity has always seemed to me like the strategy that gets us through this in the shortest time, and with the highest probability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: