Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2020, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,074 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone , my husband and I are in our early 30s and we currently live in Staten Island NY. ( i lived in pittsburgh for 2 years for school in the past) . We want to start somewhere fresh. We hate the city life and have good friend that is in West PA and completely country and we LOVE that kind of step back living from the hustle and bustle.
We both work in the medical field and finding a job is super important . We looked into Milford but it was little to expensive. We were considering pike, wayne, monroe or even more south near lancaster. But it seems like Crime is a big issue everywhere.

We are looking for a house in a rural suburb where we can have some land and our neighbors aren't right next to us. Maybe have a fire pit in the back and DO NOT want a community. If we need to go shopping we are fine with a 20ish minute drive . We just want to be able to do our own thing, kind of be away from people but not completely rural. We will be taking a price cut moving from NY to PA but we both agree we need to get away from here.

I have been trying to find a place in Pennsylvania for a long time. Ive been to PA many times. We really loved near Milford but need something where we can buy a house for 100-220K .
We also want a lot of woods and wildlife.

If there are any suggestions please please list them or have any tips id greatly appreciate it!
(been trying to get out of NY for like 3 years now)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 04:51 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/penn...residents.html

you might consider the western part of the state.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:08 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
How about the smaller communities along the I-80 corridor in Western PA? Clearfield, St. Mary's, DuBois, Brookville, and Clarion are all nice smaller towns with inexpensive real estate and ample shopping/dining options.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:16 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
In terms of other options maybe look into Tunkhannock, PA. It's about 20-30 minutes north/northwest of both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. Very scenic. Cute small town. It has a Walmart. The other box stores are in Scranton or Wilkes-Barre.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:42 PM

18 posts, read 30,190 times
How about Indiana County. College town of Indiana is centrally located in Indiana County. Drive 15 minutes in any direction and you`re in the country. Rolling hills, but nothing steep. 33 mile bike trail, Amish farms to the north, public land to hunt on, if that`s your thing. Low, low crime. Conservative. Pittsburgh, Pa. 1 1/2 hours away, if needed. If you really like MOUNTAINS and trees, the Grand Canyon of Pa. area (Lycoming/Tioga counties) can`t be beat. One of my two favorite places in Pa. Gettysburg, Pa. the other. Hope I`ve helped.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:46 PM

10 posts, read 7,408 times
i grew up in NYC, lived in Staten Island for 6 years(age 13-ish), then high school in nj suburbs. I now live in State College, PA. It's nice here, kinda in the middle of nowhere. Student population makes this place busy during school, but summers are great.

Expensive housing in state college, but not in surrounding areas, you could buy a house or property for $60-$200 in Julian, PA for example, which is about 20 min from State College. So you get country living, low crime, and if you want to be surrounded by action and people, just go to PSU. The huge student population supports the area, allowing for higher paid people in medical field. Local major hospital here, too.

Highway is close for easy access to NYC via 80(4 hours away). But to do anything, you'd have to drive a distance. hershey park, flying(i usually make the drive to pitt or phila), as examples. (flying from altoona to pitt is $60, airport in state college(state to phila to destination), kinda expensive but can be cheap if you buy at the right time)

Oh, instead of a trash smell, get used to horse manure...lol(a little humor)

Last edited by chinaman4u; 07-18-2020 at 06:00 PM..

Old 07-19-2020, 12:46 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
How about the smaller communities along the I-80 corridor in Western PA? Clearfield, St. Mary's, DuBois, Brookville, and Clarion are all nice smaller towns with inexpensive real estate and ample shopping/dining options.
What?

The other half is that the job market (unless you count minimum wage tourism jobs) in that corridor has been declining for decades and health care is no different. The main health care provider, Penn Highlands, has been laying people off since Spring.

Wal-Mart is the grocer in Clarion since BI-LO and a couple independents closed over the last ten years, although an Aldi's did open a couple years ago.

For someone from NYC the winters would be almost intolerable. They make you guys from Pittsburgh (and Ohio) cry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania