Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2020, 04:04 PM

189 posts, read 205,251 times

Advertisements

Hello All I am new to this and would need some advice. We are a interracial couple engaged. I am from NJ and he is from Wisconsin. Our age group is 35-40 We dont have any children and currently live in Wisconsin. We both have been eye balling Pennsylvania area for quite a while and looking to relocate around that area next year lord willing. I always been a city girl who enjoys simple nightlife, traveling, shopping, basic fun things etc. As far as my fiance, he's more of a homebody nerdy type guy who basically enjoys gaming and traveling. Just looking for a permanent place to purchase a home and live out our days. Is there anyone out there who can suggest some suburban areas around that offers a peaceful low CRIME, DIVERSE place to purchase a home ranging from $100-175k if it's a decent foreclosure on a decent size land 1 to 2 acres we are also consider depending on circumstances.

As far as our work experience, I have medical, customer service and CDL driving experience. As far a him he is into manufacturing, computer software and IT. He is also looking into a plumbing career starting out as a apprentice. We've been to Harrisburg, Easton, Reading, and Carlisle. We weren't too interested in those areas. We hear that PA has a decent healthcare system which is a plus for us considering this is where we want to settle and retire. I've read that Northwestern PA has good qualities right outside the city with minimal commute. So does anyone know any towns that would fit what we are looking for? Feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 07:29 PM

634 posts, read 1,165,344 times
175k max and 1 to 2 acres?? You will be living in the sticks with that budget.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
175k max and 1 to 2 acres?? You will be living in the sticks with that budget.
Can be more depending on the area as well if the area and people in it is actually worth more than sticks.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-13-2020 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: Fixed spacing

Old 05-13-2020, 08:34 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
You can get a small house (not new) on a third of an acre in Lehigh county for that. You will need to go further out, North or West of Lehigh county for more land. The new developments that are being built in my area are age restricted homes that start at $375,000 with yards listed in the square feet.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:14 AM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times
There is a house for sale on Mt. Nebo Road, East Stroudsburg 18301 for around $200k, and sits on 1.8 acres. That's about 3 miles from the DWG I-80 bridge. This is in my general area (I believe that part of Mt. Nebo Road is considered Shawnee). You certainly wouldn't be the only mixed race couple around, and you'll think you're in New Jersey or New York in the summer when the tourists arrive.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:53 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,903,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosilus View Post
Hello All I am new to this and would need some advice. We are a interracial couple engaged. I am from NJ and he is from Wisconsin. Our age group is 35-40 We dont have any children and currently live in Wisconsin. We both have been eye balling Pennsylvania area for quite a while and looking to relocate around that area next year lord willing. I always been a city girl who enjoys simple nightlife, traveling, shopping, basic fun things etc. As far as my fiance, he's more of a homebody nerdy type guy who basically enjoys gaming and traveling. Just looking for a permanent place to purchase a home and live out our days. Is there anyone out there who can suggest some suburban areas around that offers a peaceful low CRIME, DIVERSE place to purchase a home ranging from $100-175k if it's a decent foreclosure on a decent size land 1 to 2 acres we are also consider depending on circumstances.

As far as our work experience, I have medical, customer service and CDL driving experience. As far a him he is into manufacturing, computer software and IT. He is also looking into a plumbing career starting out as a apprentice. We've been to Harrisburg, Easton, Reading, and Carlisle. We weren't too interested in those areas. We hear that PA has a decent healthcare system which is a plus for us considering this is where we want to settle and retire. I've read that Northwestern PA has good qualities right outside the city with minimal commute. So does anyone know any towns that would fit what we are looking for? Feedback is appreciated.
Hershey and Lancaster should also be checked out.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Hershey and Lancaster should also be checked out.

outskirts of Lancaster maybe definitely not downtown. Hershey I don't know much about there.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-14-2020 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 05-14-2020, 01:39 PM

219 posts, read 448,614 times
I lived and worked in NW PA for 25+ years. The towns I lived in were small towns but located near Erie to the north and Pittsburgh to the south. One was a college town with lots of amenities for a small town. Beautiful rolling hills and lots of open areas. The eastern part of PA is more expensive to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania