Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 05:34 AM

13,960 posts, read 8,825,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereToFarm View Post
And that's what's eventually going to happen now that the police department legally can't recruit more officers anymore. It might take a few years to get there as the department naturally loses officers to retirement or poaching from municipalities that actually treat their officers with respect, but it'll ultimately lead to a skeleton crew with long response times. Guess it's time to do what Minneapolis residents are doing and start recruiting vigilante militias.

Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-minn...ce-11595698725

Yes, the Democrats who are sooooo concerned about police brutality want us to stop professionally training officers and instead hand over neighborhood safety to anyone who shows up with a gun. Detached from reality, indeed!
And you really think that the city council won't lift the moratorium if either they or the residents see or feel the level of policing is inadequate.

C'mon now. Yes, that is detached from reality.

Politicians do respond to the demands of the moment. Note that the Pittsburgh Police Bureau chief said that the same Council that voted to institute this hiring freeze said a few years back that the city needed more cops.

Should crime rise, this council can lift the hiring freeze. And I assure you it will. Even if it remains in the hands of the same political party.

As for your remark about police brutality: That's what the "professional training" the cops have had for years now produced. Maybe we do need to change the training. And the culture.

Maybe making that Black citizen militia in Minneapolis the nucleus of a new Police Department might just point the way. Looks like they're having a positive impact already, working with the still-in-place Minneapolis police force.

Edited to add: Oops! Read the WSJ article and I see we're talking about the same people. But note that one of the things this group does that the MPD didn't do well is engage with the community. (It helps that they're from the community.) This remains the big problem that needs to be fixed with just about every big-city police department in the country.

I assume you saw this passage near the end of the article:

Quote:
Kadence Hampton, a 30-year-old urban planner, began a text chain with her neighbors during the protests and rioting after she saw seven armed men park in the shadows on her street and proceed toward a home owned by a Black family on her block.

“I didn’t know if it was a special security force or a police task force or white supremacists,” she said, she just knew it was scary. So she went door to door collecting cellphone numbers, hoping that getting to know her neighbors would bring a sense of security.

But this week when she witnessed one of her neighbors being robbed of her purse by three men as she tried to bring in her groceries, Ms. Hampton didn’t call police.

“I am hesitant to call the police,” she said. “They are not proactively preventing any type of harm. When they do show up, they escalate things. I am not convinced calling the police is the safest thing to do.”
(emphasis added)

Which underlies those moves to shift funding from cops to social-service workers and others trained in de-escalating domestic and other confrontations.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 07-30-2020 at 05:43 AM..

Old 07-30-2020, 05:53 AM

Postscript:

I also see in that article that the Minneapolis city council plans to put the question of what should replace the Minneapolis Police Department before the voters.

And that as of now, what they're planning to replace it with is something called the Department of Community Safety and Violence Prevention.

Recall that that woman quoted at the end complained that the cops do nothing to prevent harm when they show up. (I understand the police play a role in preventing harm simply by being present on the streets.)

The council isn't sure whether this department would have an armed criminal-justice role. Given the nature of our society, they'd be foolish to scrap this function completely. Those citizen patrols sure carry guns.

But violence prevention and de-escalating conflict do call for a different set of skills from the ones cops develop. If there's a way to marry both skill sets in one organization, I'd say, go for it — let's see if it works.

'Cause the setup we have now isn't working for everyone. Which is why the protests continue.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:08 AM

806 posts, read 256,465 times
Quote:
The police had their entire recruiting budget and abilities stripped, are forced to spend an additional 10% of the budget on "social service programs," but the police weren't defunded! That's Democrat logic for you!

Meanwhile, here's how the local NBC station—hardly a "Trump TV ad"—reported it. Yes, even the local news is using the big bad "defund" word.

Source: https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...G7YG7Z2QXTWPE/

The amount of outright lying and denial about Democrat support for defunding the police is extremely revealing. They know it's going to sink them in November. City Council approves a bill literally taking away money from the police department and people here claim:

1) "Nobody is talking about it"

2) "The police weren't defunded even though the bill took away part of their budget and their recruiting abilities."

LOL.

Danny K, are you seeing this? Are you seeing how divorced from reality the party line is from the people on the ground? Quite revealing, isn't it?
I thought you were done posting?

Old 07-30-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

And also repeating: does what happened in Pittsburgh look or sound anything like what the Trump TV commercials depict?
I live less than two miles from downtown Pittsburgh. It's pretty quiet here.

Some of the footage in those commercials is from the 2015 Ukraine pro-democracy protests. Turns out the president and his enablers are liars.

When people say we need to round up and prosecute protestors and show me some paint on a statue as proof, what they're saying is that they think property is more important than human rights.

When you give away someone else's human rights, you give away your own.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:25 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,029,584 times
I would like to ask a "civil"(if there is such a thing) Trump supporter a question. I don't want to hear any platitudes and I don't want to hear about Biden or the Democrats. Just VERY simply
In 3 and a half years, what has Trump done for Pennsylvania or for this country as a whole?
Almost every time that he wants to do something, the courts tell him that he can't because it's unconstitutional.
The ONLY thing that he has done that I have agreed with, is the formation of the space branch of the military. (I think back to my 60's Star Trek days.)
His "solution" to the virus problem was to tell people to give themselves Lysol - for Heaven's sake. He won't even listen to the doctors' advice.

Anyway - WHAT has he done?

Old 07-30-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
I would like to ask a "civil"(if there is such a thing) Trump supporter a question. I don't want to hear any platitudes and I don't want to hear about Biden or the Democrats. Just VERY simply
In 3 and a half years, what has Trump done for Pennsylvania or for this country as a whole?
Almost every time that he wants to do something, the courts tell him that he can't because it's unconstitutional.
The ONLY thing that he has done that I have agreed with, is the formation of the space branch of the military. (I think back to my 60's Star Trek days.)
His "solution" to the virus problem was to tell people to give themselves Lysol - for Heaven's sake. He won't even listen to the doctors' advice.

Anyway - WHAT has he done?
He's "owned the libs."

That's it, that's his entire appeal.

The modern Republican Party is strictly a revanchist party.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
I live less than two miles from downtown Pittsburgh. It's pretty quiet here.

Some of the footage in those commercials is from the 2015 Ukraine pro-democracy protests. Turns out the president and his enablers are liars.

When people say we need to round up and prosecute protestors and show me some paint on a statue as proof, what they're saying is that they think property is more important than human rights.

When you give away someone else's human rights, you give away your own.
I'd rep you for this alone, but C-D says I have to wait before +1'ing you again.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:14 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,029,584 times
Apparently, Mr. Trump is talking about delaying the election in November.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:15 AM

Color me shocked, I thought all this talk about wanting to be president for life was just a joke.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:26 AM

7,249 posts, read 10,499,059 times
Quote:
The police had their entire recruiting budget and abilities stripped, are forced to spend an additional 10% of the budget on "social service programs," but the police weren't defunded! That's Democrat logic for you!

The amount of outright lying and denial about Democrat support for defunding the police is extremely revealing. They know it's going to sink them in November. City Council approves a bill literally taking away money from the police department and people here claim:

1) "Nobody is talking about it"

2) "The police weren't defunded even though the bill took away part of their budget and their recruiting abilities."
You and the media are playing semantics. The fact of the matter is a small portion of the police budget was redirected to help support critically underfunded social services.

That's partially "defunded" if you want to be specific, not entirely defunded, as you allude to. You're being intellectually dishonest if you can't tell the difference between being 90% funded and 0% funded.

Do you think the police are seriously equipped to handle the massive upticks in calls on domestic abuse, mental health episodes, or drug overdoses? The answer is no, they're not. And it's not extremist, or "leftist" to admit such a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania