Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 05:02 PM

16 posts, read 76,955 times

Advertisements

Was wondering if anyone commutes to Philly for work on a daily basis.

Going from Cornwall area in Lebanon county. Is there any commuter rail or a hub that you can park at and take some type of transport to philly.. train would be ideal.. less worry bout traffic.

Need to know because considering relocating and most job opportunities encountered have been Philly. Couple in Baltimore or King of Prussia.
Don't want to drive more than an hour so to combine some driving and train would be optimal.

Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 05:52 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,424 times
The Amtrak Keystone Service, which runs from Harrisburg to New York via Philadelphia, stops in Lancaster (and also Elizabethtown and Mount Joy). It has 14 trips/day on weekdays and 8 trains/day on weekends in each direction and all trains stop in Philadelphia, Lancaster, and Elizabethtown (most but not all trains stop in Mount Joy). Lancaster Station is located at the north end of the city and is easy to get to via PA 72, and has inexpensive, paid parking (I believe it is $4/day). Elizabethtown is located at the west end of the town and has free, though limited, parking. In Philadelphia, Amtrak stops at 30th Street Station, which is just across the Schuylkill River from Center City. Depending on where you work in Philly, you could walk to work, or take any Center City-bound SEPTA Regional Rail train for free to either Suburban Station (near City Hall) or Market East, using your Amtrak ticket. Time-wise, one-way trips between Lancaster and Philadelphia take a little over an hour, while Mount Joy and Elizabethtown trips to/from Philadelphia are a little longer. Cost-wise, I think Lancaster-Philadelphia Amtrak tickets run about $14 one-way, but monthly passes are available and provide significant cost savings over the regular fare. I believe 10 ride passes offering some discount over the regular fare are also available.

Though I never commuted on a regular basis on Amtrak, when I lived in the Harrisburg area (up until 1 1/2 months ago), I used Amtrak on an occasional basis (every 1 1/2 to 2 months) to travel to/from Philadelphia and less often New York. IMO, it is the best way to go from Harrisburg or Lancaster to Center City Philadelphia; the travel times are faster than driving in rush hour conditions and you don't have to worry about traffic congestion or parking. In the approximately 20 times I used the Keystone Service, I only had a problem with a train running significantly late once, and that was when Amtrak was doing major track work on the corridor in 2006.

Here's a link to the current Amtrak Keystone Service schedule (which may change slightly in a few weeks):

http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/dec07/W10.pdf

Old 05-02-2008, 07:21 PM

16 posts, read 76,955 times
Thanks Chip72.

Thanks for being so detailed in your response.

Hoping a commute won't be necessary but good to be prepared.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:48 AM

54 posts, read 224,781 times
You're better off moving to the southwest of Reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania