Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Sub-Forum(s) Should Be Added?
Pocono Mountains 11 32.35%
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton 8 23.53%
Central Susquehanna Valley 2 5.88%
Lehigh Valley 7 20.59%
Harrisburg 3 8.82%
Lancaster 2 5.88%
Erie 1 2.94%
York 3 8.82%
Laurel Highlands 2 5.88%
Other (Please Specify Below) 6 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:59 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times

Advertisements

I agree that NE PA and the Lehigh Valley should be separate.

I'd love to see a central PA or Susquehanna Valley sub-forum also, to cover the west branch of the Susquehanna River (Williamsport, Montoursville, Muncy, Hughesville, Montgomery) and where the two branches meet (Sunbury, Lewisburg, Selinsgrove, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 05:59 PM

9 posts, read 38,660 times
Why not Washington, Pa. in Washington Co. The South Western Pa area is a great area to live in. A lot of new construction, and only 30 min outside of downtown Pittsburgh. People moving to this area need to know that the surrounding coal towns provide old safe neighborhoods with low priced housing, and better yet low taxes. Close to the city but rural land too beautiful to describe.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:29 AM

6 posts, read 40,484 times
I Tend to think York/Hershey/Harrisburg/Lancaster as being South Central PA, and Sunbury, Lewisburg, Williamsport and the rest of the west branch (maybe even out to State College?) as being NC PA. I think Scranton-Wilkes Barre (or North Branch) deserves its own sub-forum, and the Lehigh Valley its own as well - the Poconos fits in there somewhere. A case could be made for Johnstown/Altoona area (State College fit here better?), too. The big question is, whence Erie?

Old 02-02-2007, 11:45 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholsinger View Post
I Tend to think York/Hershey/Harrisburg/Lancaster as being South Central PA, and Sunbury, Lewisburg, Williamsport and the rest of the west branch (maybe even out to State College?) as being NC PA. I think Scranton-Wilkes Barre (or North Branch) deserves its own sub-forum, and the Lehigh Valley its own as well - the Poconos fits in there somewhere. A case could be made for Johnstown/Altoona area (State College fit here better?), too. The big question is, whence Erie?

I feel sorry for poor old Erie. It's our state's fourth most populous city and has a beautiful setting on the lakeshore, yet if you browse through all the pages of this state forum, you'll be lucky to find a half-dozen inquiries about not only Erie, but NW PA in general. As such, there's not enough interest to warrant its own sub-forum.

I think the most "pressing one" (not to be biased), is actually a new "Northeast PA" subforum, which would include Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Hazleton, and the Pocono Mountains, all of which have been drawing a lot of attention lately on this board. The Lehigh Valley is also becoming a popular relocation destination for NJ residents, but I'm not sure if there's adequate interest on this forum (yet) about Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton to warrant a new sub-forum, since I'm under the impression that the moderators want to limit the new sub-forums to as few as possible to keep the general state forums busy (If you want to see a SLOW general state forum, check out Ohio's, which seems to be lucky to get a half-dozen posts a day!)

I actually give you kudos for your "North Central" sub-forum idea, as Williamsport and State College could be included in this one, but neither are truly located in the "Central Susquehanna Valley." I also think a "South Central" sub-forum could include Harrisburg, Lancaster, York, Lebanon, Carlisle, Gettysburg, Hanover, Hershey, Lewistown, etc. I don't think there's nearly enough interest to warrant an Altoona/Johnstown sub-forum (which I'd call the "Laurel Highlands"). As for now, the only two that seem to have enough interest to warrant their own sub-forums seem to be NE PA and the Lehigh Valley, with NE PA being the more pressing one.

I recommended this in the past, but the moderators expressed concern about the main state forum becoming too "quiet" if a new sub-forum was added. I think if you were to deduct the posts about the Poconos, Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, and Hazleton, you'd still have plenty of activity on the general state forum as well. Then again, that's just my opinion. I just don't like seeing this forum being SO active that messages I just posted are already "lost" onto the second page within a day after being posted. I've actually been tempted to "bump" my latest photo tour up higher in the list so that when I choose to add on other Wilkes-Barre photos it won't be so difficult to locate!

I think, as it is now, the PA forum is just fine. However, as the volume continues to increase (I've been promoting City-Data through MySpace and Facebook as well for my college-aged peers to get involved), a third sub-forum for the NE will become necessary. I've been tracking the property transactions in the Scranton Times on a daily basis, and it seems as if a full THIRD of the transfers involve transactions to new residents from mainly NJ and NJ (although one just went to a couple from Bakersfield, CA the other day!) If the trend continues and the population is starting a "turnaround" in my neck of the woods, then a new forum would prove beneficial, perhaps by summer.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:46 PM

164 posts, read 384,831 times
I think it would be great to have a Scranton Wilkes-Barre Thread ... I just joined but love your site ... keep up the good work

Old 02-12-2007, 02:49 PM

49 posts, read 215,473 times
I vote for the Pocono's please!

Old 02-12-2007, 05:54 PM

487 posts, read 1,374,529 times
Once again, I vote for Pocono's. Thanks for asking!

Old 04-08-2007, 03:39 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
Arrow Sub-Forum Vote: Other: Alleghenys

I think one for the Alleghenys, which could encompass Johnstown, Altoona, Somerset, Bedford, even State College/University Park.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:47 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
NEPA, Lehigh Valley and Hbg-Lanc-York if more were going to be created.....but we can't go subforum crazy or who will post on the main board?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania