U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2020, 09:22 AM

246 posts, read 126,786 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I have been looking into buying in Warren, PA. I searched for threads before posting, but the last post related to this town was back in 2013. Seven years later or so, I would like to hear any feedback from recent experiences. I'm not looking to work in the area, so my main concerns are safety, amenities, and overall attitude from locals. Thanks in advance for any response.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-13-2020 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: mention of competitor site removed
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 08:04 AM

4,557 posts, read 4,061,155 times
Sorry, I can't speak to the current situation in Warren. It was a very prosperous little city when I used to visit in the 90s and people seemed friendly. Why would you want to buy or live there? Are you looking for isolation?

Warren has lost some industries like Struthers Wells but it still retains many. See link.

https://wccbi.org/directory/categories/manufacturing

Old 08-05-2020, 05:40 AM

10 posts, read 4,133 times
Not the best info for living there but we have a camp about a half hour away and occasionally run to Warren for shopping needs. No issues. Haved golfed around Warren a handful of times too. Again no issues. Doesn't provide much for daily living there but I haven't seen any issues the times we have been through.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:33 AM

2,584 posts, read 3,273,961 times
Warren and the surrounding areas are absolutely beautiful. With that being said, the economy in Warren is not great and it is very isolated. I go on a kayaking trip near Warren every summer and I stay at a friends camp in an area near Warren multiple times each summer. The downtown area of Warren is very nice and clean, but there is definitely limited shopping and dining. Locals have always treated me relatively well, but they do seem a little depressed about the outlook for the area. I have talked to a few locals in bars and restaurants and they told me about how great Warren used to be and there were many high paying jobs for those with little to no college education. I believe Northwest bank is currently the largest employer in Warren and this is definitely a shift from the manufacturing and refining history of Warren. Overall, I would say Warren is a quiet, safe place to live and it definitely feels different in the summer with all of the people from Erie, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh visiting their summer camps. I have honestly been surprised how many people from the Buffalo region have camps near the Allegheny National Forest in PA.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:22 AM

21,564 posts, read 19,366,921 times
I watched a PNC ( cable TV Pa channel) show on Warren County maybe a year ago. They went through some local businesses and history. Maybe it can be accessed on Youtube.
My take on the area. Kinzua was very scenic. Route 6 did a tourist trap thing where gas prices seemed to be higher than other nearby areas. The Wendy's in town where we go lunch at was fine. I think it had a view of the river. I also remember a " flat iron" style building in town which was architecturally interesting.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:54 PM

273 posts, read 200,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I watched a PNC ( cable TV Pa channel) show on Warren County maybe a year ago. They went through some local businesses and history. Maybe it can be accessed on Youtube.
My take on the area. Kinzua was very scenic. Route 6 did a tourist trap thing where gas prices seemed to be higher than other nearby areas. The Wendy's in town where we go lunch at was fine. I think it had a view of the river. I also remember a " flat iron" style building in town which was architecturally interesting.
I assume you mean PCN, the Pennsylvania Cable Network. PCN is sort of like the statewide equivalent of C-SPAN, with live coverage of legislative sessions and state government events as well as other Pennsylvania-related programming.

I’m a member of PCN’s paid “Select” service, and I don’t see anything about Warren in the library of titles available to stream online. PCN does have an “Exploring PA Boroughs” series, and though Warren isn’t included (it’s a city, not a borough), a few other northwestern towns, including Kane and Emporium, have episodes devoted to them.

The public television station based at Penn State, WPSU, produces an “Our Town” series profiling various towns in the station’s broadcast area. One episode was Our Town: Warren (viewable online here). The video was produced in 1998, so it won’t be a source of recent information, but it still may be worth watching.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:30 PM

9 posts, read 3,515 times
I've only visited the Warren area a couple of times, but I really like that area. Like trackstar said, Northwest Bank is the main employer there, which I believe has provided some stability compared to other NW PA small towns that have been harder hit with the loss of manufacturing jobs.

As far as crime goes, it does appear that the city itself has slightly higher crime rates than the national average (based on a quick Google search). However, areas right outside of town would likely be much better in the crime department.

As for amenities, I found Warren's downtown area to be one of the nicest in NW PA (shops, restaurants, etc.). Warren does have a Walmart and a Lowe's, but you'll want to drive a half hour up the road to Jamestown, NY for more selection. If that doesn't bother you, then Warren might be a good fit. Also really good setting for hunting/fishing (if that's your thing), with the Allegheny National Forest literally right next door. Great place for snow lovers, too.

Good luck with your search!

Old 08-16-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Sorry, I can't speak to the current situation in Warren. It was a very prosperous little city when I used to visit in the 90s and people seemed friendly. Why would you want to buy or live there? Are you looking for isolation?

Warren has lost some industries like Struthers Wells but it still retains many. See link.

https://wccbi.org/directory/categories/manufacturing
Yes! I'm looking for a picturesque, relatively safe, and isolated town or city. I'm not concerned about schools nor jobs. I live in Jersey, and looking for a second home and possible retirement down the road.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkchappy View Post
I've only visited the Warren area a couple of times, but I really like that area. Like trackstar said, Northwest Bank is the main employer there, which I believe has provided some stability compared to other NW PA small towns that have been harder hit with the loss of manufacturing jobs.

As far as crime goes, it does appear that the city itself has slightly higher crime rates than the national average (based on a quick Google search). However, areas right outside of town would likely be much better in the crime department.

As for amenities, I found Warren's downtown area to be one of the nicest in NW PA (shops, restaurants, etc.). Warren does have a Walmart and a Lowe's, but you'll want to drive a half hour up the road to Jamestown, NY for more selection. If that doesn't bother you, then Warren might be a good fit. Also really good setting for hunting/fishing (if that's your thing), with the Allegheny National Forest literally right next door. Great place for snow lovers, too.

Good luck with your search!
Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't aware of the area's "summer camps", but that's good to know. I'm highly surprised that the area hasn't invested in touristic and/or outdoor activities related businesses with so much natural resources to offer. I have looked just about every town in PA/NY/NY and Warren seems to be surprisingly clean and relatively well kept despite the economic depression which is reflected on the home prices....

Old 08-16-2020, 01:56 PM

36,606 posts, read 47,297,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGuitar View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't aware of the area's "summer camps", but that's good to know. I'm highly surprised that the area hasn't invested in touristic and/or outdoor activities related businesses with so much natural resources to offer. I have looked just about every town in PA/NY/NY and Warren seems to be surprisingly clean and relatively well kept despite the economic depression which is reflected on the home prices....
Umm, they have invested in tourist and outdoor activities.

https://lumberheritage.org/

https://pennsylvaniawine.com/wine-tr...e-wine-country

https://visitanf.com/allegheny-reservoir/

Beware a little of those "summer camps". Many, if not most, are deer camps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania