Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 08:37 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times

Advertisements

I would definitely say Erie. It is so far removed from most of the state it definitely resembles NY or OH more than the rest of PA. I would consider Reading to be in some ways a mini Philadelphia. Philadelphia is the definition of much of Pennsylvania culture so that in no way is an outlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2020, 08:10 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I would definitely say Erie. It is so far removed from most of the state it definitely resembles NY or OH more than the rest of PA. I would consider Reading to be in some ways a mini Philadelphia. Philadelphia is the definition of much of Pennsylvania culture so that in no way is an outlier.

Reading is over 60% Hispanic/Latino. Where's Readings' Chinatown or Koreatown? These 2 small things alone make each city dissimilar.

Old 10-04-2020, 07:16 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,402,894 times
I find Scranton to be unique. It’s in eastern PA, but it certainly has a western PA vibe.
Erie is also unique, and might as well be part of Western NY.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Reading is over 60% Hispanic/Latino. Where's Readings' Chinatown or Koreatown? These 2 small things alone make each city dissimilar.
There are not many chinatowns in the USA. The fact that reading is so diverse with hispanic culture makes it more urban and more like a small city of NJ or Philadelphia which is also very diverse. I do not think Reading is exactly like Philadelphia, but it is considered to be on the fringe of an exurban area of Philadelphia CSA and shares some traits with other parts of Southeastern Pennsylvania much more so than Erie does.

Old 10-09-2020, 01:54 AM

4 posts, read 2,458 times
I have to go with Philadelphia. It's very fast paced and liberal. I think the people are rather rude, which makes it way different than the rest of Pennsylvania.

Old 10-09-2020, 11:39 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahlia2020 View Post
I have to go with Philadelphia. It's very fast paced and liberal. I think the people are rather rude, which makes it way different than the rest of Pennsylvania.

Nope. If you are from PA, you know that Philly people are much the same but a little more mean about it

Old 10-10-2020, 12:52 AM

4 posts, read 2,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Nope. If you are from PA, you know that Philly people are much the same but a little more mean about it

Yep! I've lived 20 years in western PA and 28 years in eastern PA. You certainly are entitled to YOUR opinion, but MY opinion is that folks in western PA are exceptionally nice. I think people around Lancaster tend to be a bit standoffish and people around Philly are snobbish and rude with an elitist attitude. Not everybody has to agree, and obviously you don't, which is fine.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:13 AM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenonman View Post
Erie, by far. In addition to being geographically separated from the rest of the state by extreme topography and distance, there is also the fact that the city has more in common with the other Great Lakes states/provinces than it does with the remainder of the state!
My parents lived in Erie for 2 years back in the late 70s. One thing my Dad said about the place was "When it snows, it snows for real." The best thing they liked about Erie was the low cost of living.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahlia2020 View Post
Yep! I've lived 20 years in western PA and 28 years in eastern PA. You certainly are entitled to YOUR opinion, but MY opinion is that folks in western PA are exceptionally nice. I think people around Lancaster tend to be a bit standoffish and people around Philly are snobbish and rude with an elitist attitude. Not everybody has to agree, and obviously you don't, which is fine.
Philadelphia is the economic hub of Pennsylvania and its population center and where the state was founded. It is quintessential Pennsylvania. Especially once you go into the Philadelphia suburbs which is a mix of historic towns, blue collar row home suburbs and very wealthy stone manor enclaves of the well to do.

Philadelphians are actually very nice. The only way you cross a Philadelphian is if you diss the city or their sports teams. Then yes you will be in for a rude awakening.

I see the people of Pennsylvania overall as very nice but also real. I have been to every corner of this state. People are nice, but we are not the south and we do not sugar coat anything. Pennsylvania has a bit of New England brash with it's own stamp.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:23 PM

139 posts, read 76,256 times
Latrobe. That place has a very unique feel to it. It kind of feels like almost all of PA rolled into one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania