Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Trump or Biden
Trump 87 43.50%
Biden 97 48.50%
Undecided 2 1.00%
Other Person 5 2.50%
Not Voting 9 4.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 06:09 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
Literally, I am from Philadelphia and spent a week in the Erie area for vacation this summer.

Props to Lavery Brewing Company btw!
All right for God's sake, "few people from Pittsburgh or Philadelphia are going to travel to Uniontown for a restaurant meal or a night out." You like that better? Spare me the stories about the fabulous weekend that you spent in Uniontown.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:14 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
No, you're the one who has it wrong. Westchester County, NY fought with the Obama administration for years about this rule. The feds forced them to spend tens of millions of dollars to build "750 units of housing in over 30 overwhelmingly white communities." The "race-based discrimination" that they found was "exclusionary zoning," which means these towns consist of single-family houses on large lots, and have few apartment buildings. Anyone who claims that that amounts to de facto racial discrimination is the one who's race-baiting, if you ask me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/21/n...hud-trump.html
If you'd look at the source I provided in my last post, you'd see that it's much more complex than that. Yes, that rule could be theoretically applied in a legal case to provide more affordable housing, but in its broadest form its intent is to protect individuals of color from discrimination. And yes, exclusionary zoning is unconstitutional, and rightfully so.

No one should be shedding any tears for very wealthy Westchester County, NY, and I'm certain no Republicans really are as it's a deeply "blue" locale.

Perhaps the GOP should recognize that we no longer live in 1965. That would save them and the rest of America a lot of grief.

Last edited by Duderino; 10-25-2020 at 07:24 PM..

Old 10-25-2020, 07:52 PM

1,839 posts, read 676,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
That's not quite true. There's Newsmax, One America News (Trump's occasional favorite) and The Blaze. There's also the vitamin salesman whose lawyer admitted that his show - InfoWars - is basically entertainment and not serious political news.

Granted, those first two have had difficulty getting a foothold on cable, although it was available when I lived in Texas for a time. Glenn Beck is basically a streaming service. And Alex Jones keeps getting himself banned off of viable platforms.

MSNBC is definitely liberal even as they have former Bush staffer Nicole Wallace and former Republican Congressman Joe Scarborough anchoring shows.

CNN isn't so much liberal as it is anti-Trump. If Trump hadn't anointed them with the first "fake news" designation, I don't think they would have gone after him quite as hard although it is difficult to be objective about a gaslighter. That said, you would have appreciated Wolf Blitzer going hard in the paint against Pelosi the other night.

Broadcast news shows aren't particularly liberal or conservative. In the era of Trump, they are merely reflecting what he is (not) doing.
Many very hardcore Trump supporters even find ABC or NBC evening news or first 20 minutes of Today/GMA biased when the top story is surge in covid. They feel its biased that its not Hunter Biden related news. I really don’t understand it anymore with them.

I do see a Left bias on CNN (website) but it still doesnt seem as biased as Fox is to the Right.

And back to broadcast- with ABC, which is left leaning at times, it does have Republican contributors like Sara Fagen and Chris Christie. I also believe Martha Raddatz is very good at not showing a bias. When she went on a roadtrip through the country last month, she did say clearly that Biden enthusiasm wasn’t there. She didnt hide that discovery when she spoke on The View. I’m sure Whoopi and the other cohosts were shocked she said it.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:02 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
So much back and forth about certain counties being blue or red. Its funny, because most counties in Pennsylvania have both democratic and republican pockets.

Here are the results of the 2016 presidential election based on state house district versus the entire county.

As for the green and purple dots, I used this graphic on another forum recently. Purple is where I live now, green is where I used to live - has no other significance.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:41 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Does anything think Lancaster County or Northampton County will flip blue this year?

Old 10-26-2020, 07:16 AM

486 posts, read 601,842 times
I drove through the city of Pittsburgh yesterday (Shadyshide, Oakland, Southside, etc.) and it was Biden sign after Biden sign. Never saw a Trump sign within the city limits.

I realize this is just anecdotal, but I was surprised.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:05 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Both Biden and Harris will be pawns of the deep state but NEITHER will be who the puppet masters really want " leading" the country. Biden is a crook and also coming unglued mentally and Harris is a self serving sociopath who would literally sell her own granny for power and influence. If anybody thinks these two will care one bit about the middle class, the poor, minorities or civil rights, LOL, I have some prime ocean front real estate in Kansas I'll let go for cheap.
I see Harris as a bench warmer once she replaces Biden until her VP and eventual replacement gets named.... one Pete Buttigieg or the second choice, Cory Booker. They want a gay POTUS and either one would be a fit. Both are created phoneys, Buttigieg with a fake military record and he's a CIA spook, Booker is basically Obama II with also a manufactured record but nothing much upstairs. Imagine J Edgar Hoover as POTUS, that's Buttigieg. Scary, read up on Hoover. He'd be a progressive today and the FBI of today would suit him to a T.
So the deep state hates Trump and vice versa. Well, the deep state thinks we're too stupid to be trusted with our freedom so the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Trump's not a likable guy, but his record is superior to the Clinton, to Obama, to both Bushes. He's been closer to somebody on the average US citizens side, white, black, hispanic, middle class, than any of them.

Anecdotal. 2008 and 2012 saw very few Obama signs in my neck of Pa. I mean, count them on one hand the length of the county, especially in 2012. The county carried McCain and Romney( both scumbags). I even commented on it on local talk radio and the dem chairman of the country called and said that the DNC wouldn't spend money on a state they knew they'd carry. 2016 saw more anti Hillary signs than pro Hillary signs but many more Trump signs. Now I see maybe 3 to 1 Trump signs over Biden, but also a good number of " We're screwed 2020" or variants. I got the feeling that they don't spend money on signs if they know a fix is in.

Last edited by Icy Tea; 10-26-2020 at 08:14 AM..

Old 10-26-2020, 08:22 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Does anything think Lancaster County or Northampton County will flip blue this year?
Northampton I am almost sure will. It was close in 2016 and I think the county flipped mostly because of the Democratic enthusiasm gap between 2012 and 2016. The demographic trends favor the county swinging back blue this year.

I don't think Lancaster is there yet. I think it will definitely swing more Democratic this year, but the rural/suburban areas are still too conservative overall.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:25 AM

1,393 posts, read 913,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I'm not going to get into a debate about what was painted in front of Trump Tower. I'd actually agree that the intent was to antagonize, but I'm certainly not inclined to offer any sympathy given the circumstances and his abysmal handling of race relations.

But you're very wrong about fair housing rule to which you refer. What was eliminated is a very common sense protection explicitly designed to protect individuals of color from still-very-common race-based discrimination. And here Donald Trump is saying that the suburbs have been "saved" by eliminating such protection and the lily white suburbs once again maintain their privilege to keep out "the undesirables."

Here's a good factcheck.org write-up on how Trump completely mislead the public about what the rule he eliminated actually did, underscoring his true race-baiting motivations:
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/08/tr...-housing-rule/

If you really can't see the blatant race connection, I can't help you on that point.
Based on your link, it doesn't seem to do either of the things that you two are arguing about. It seems to be just strengthening a reporting framework for municipalities to ensure that they are FHA compliant while trying to lead them to some of the outcomes that both of you are arguing about (i.e. lower discrimination, more affordable housing, etc.), but without ANY mandate for any action other than to fill out the reports in the new format.

Regardless of what the rule actually says or does or even whether it's a good idea to eliminate it, it's pretty clear that Trump's response to it was in fact fearmongering by talking about "destroying the suburbs" with pretty clear undertones of racist dogwhistles. Trump doesn't really care about anything other than himself and people who lavish praise on him, but he's walking a tightrope here. On one hand, he's trying to promote what he's done for the black community (and some of the things he's done have been positive in many ways - e.g. some criminal justice reforms) but at the same time dogwhistle to the racists and white supremacists who have been his biggest supporters since the beginning. I really don't think Trump himself is all that racist, but he treats them like he treats evangelicals (which he is not one of, either). If they support him and tell him he's great, then he's going to pretend to act like them and support what they want, too.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:31 AM

1,393 posts, read 913,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Northampton I am almost sure will. It was close in 2016 and I think the county flipped mostly because of the Democratic enthusiasm gap between 2012 and 2016. The demographic trends favor the county swinging back blue this year.

I don't think Lancaster is there yet. I think it will definitely swing more Democratic this year, but the rural/suburban areas are still too conservative overall.
Counties like Northampton, Luzerne, and Erie flipped not just because of "enthusiasm" (i.e. Republicans got better turnout) but rather because of a real change where long time Democratic voters voted for a Republican. That's harder to change back than just getting your regular voters to get out again, and that was the reason Trump won PA at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania