Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2020, 03:26 AM

724 posts, read 502,552 times

Advertisements

Between having grown tired of the Greater DC area in general/my presently very erratic work schedule and lifestyle as such , my dreams of moving to a peaceful sparsely populated rural area have grown quite intense as of late .

Since I'm ( quite obviously ) already in the Keystone state , I thought I may as well start up a thread in this sub forum to possibly explore my options with respect to an in state move .

So without further ado , here's what I'm looking for :

1 . Employment in the maintenance sector , preferably with a company that provides workers to facilities that lack maintenance staff on an on need basis .

2 . Relatively cheap ( my price range is anything up to 200 grand ) rural land one can put a mobile home/build a house on without having to jump through any lengthy/unreasonable legal hoops .

3 . Lax local laws/regulations/enforcement of said laws and regulations pertaining to any issue not related to the concerns of life , limb , liberty , and property .

In short anyone who isn't a murderer , rapist , thief , cheat , robber , etc. , will be left alone by the local authorities .

4 . Preferably plenty of people who have a live and let live attitude to life .

Anyways I'm looking forward to some pointers and thanks ahead of time for any y'all .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 09:32 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
What exactly is your vocation? Are you a janitor? Most urban areas have janitorial service companies. As for areas with a laissez faire attitude, most rural PA counties subscribe to that philosophy.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
What exactly is your vocation? Are you a janitor? Most urban areas have janitorial service companies. As for areas with a laissez faire attitude, most rural PA counties subscribe to that philosophy.

A " handyman " type fellow if you will , who specializes in fixing maintenance related problems ( from leaky faucets to broken heating systems ) in facilities that rely on outsourced labor for this sort of work due to the lack of proper maintenance staff .

Thanks for your answer by the way !

Old 10-28-2020, 11:02 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
A " handyman " type fellow if you will , who specializes in fixing maintenance related problems ( from leaky faucets to broken heating systems ) in facilities that rely on outsourced labor for this sort of work due to the lack of proper maintenance staff .

Thanks for your answer by the way !

If a small company or institution has a problem with their HVAC system, they call a mechanical contractor. Large companies and institutions have their own mechanical staff. I'm still not entirely certain what you do.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
If a small company or institution has a problem with their HVAC system, they call a mechanical contractor. Large companies and institutions have their own mechanical staff. I'm still not entirely certain what you do.
I work as a ( for lack of a better term ) handyman for a company that undertakes relatively small maintenance related jobs ( of a rather wide variety ) for facilities that either lack maintenance staff or don't have sufficient enough staff members to complete the task at hand .

Of course I realize this may sound a bit strange to you , but you'd honestly be surprised at the amount of facilities that use this type of service .

Old 10-28-2020, 01:19 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
My employer contracts with a facilities management company (it used to be Johnson, don't know who it is now). That's the only thing I can think of similar to what you're describing.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:37 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
If you do what I think you do, you would probably be welcome with open arms, a red carpet and lots of jobs.

Locally it's close to impossible to find anyone to fix things. Only one in the county that fixes washing machines is nearing retirement.

Might try subcontracting out to Lowe's at least until you can build up a solid reputation. That might not get you exactly where you want to be but it'd be a step closer and give you time to learn about different areas.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:30 PM

325 posts, read 368,219 times
Maybe Frackville?

Old 10-29-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
If you do what I think you do, you would probably be welcome with open arms, a red carpet and lots of jobs.

Locally it's close to impossible to find anyone to fix things. Only one in the county that fixes washing machines is nearing retirement.

Might try subcontracting out to Lowe's at least until you can build up a solid reputation. That might not get you exactly where you want to be but it'd be a step closer and give you time to learn about different areas.
That's good to know and thanks for the information !

Old 10-29-2020, 07:44 PM

298 posts, read 481,823 times
Don't go into business for yourself or buy a house until you have established working for around 3-5 years for someone. Unless you have enough for a downpayment.

Banks don't like sole Proprietors. We had to be sneaky when buying our house here. They like to see steady money coming in from at least one source.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania