Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 08:00 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times

Advertisements

Thanks I did go through there and the area in general has so many nice old buildings that would make marvalous homes. I suppose not much has changed since I posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 07:12 AM

10,809 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Thanks I did go through there and the area in general has so many nice old buildings that would make marvalous homes. I suppose not much has changed since I posted.

For the houses worth moving into, like the 'robber baron' houses in both, no one is selling so inventory is low and prices are up and out of line for the area (its easy to spend well over half a mil in a town where there are zero jobs. In the ubiquitous asphalt or asbestos shingled house with K&T wiring and no insulation, you can get 3/1 for as little as $40K but mostly in the 60-80K.

Franklin, is the nicer of the two in terms of curb appeal even the cranberry mall area on the hill is a bombed out shell of itself...a great place when I was a kid to hang out but today? meh. even reno strip has turned over into mostly abandoned.

Old 12-14-2022, 08:45 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times
The old Franklin Club 10,000 sq ft is selling for $219,000 it seems to be in good shape and the interior photos show lots of worksmanship.

Franklin has some cheap real estate.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:54 AM

392 posts, read 1,067,666 times
I lived in Titusville (to the north of OC/Franklin). The whole area is economically depressed, declining in population, and has little or no future to rebound on either front.

Furthermore, if you live in T-Ville/OC/Franklin area, financially and logistically it is unreasonable to commute to either Erie, Pittsburgh, or Youngstown, Ohio (the three nearest major cities) for work. You would drive (best-case scenario) AT LEAST an hour+ one way to do so. Also consider that the NWPA area gets pounded with lake-effect snow every winter that makes driving nearly impossible at times.

However, the countryside and scenery around the area is beautiful and a paradise for the outdoorsy-type of person. If you're retired and have a decent amount of money to live off of, and don't need to travel a lot (other than for groceries/other basic needs and necessities and the occasional trip to the big cities for Pirates/Steelers/Cleveland games), or if you can land yourself a good-paying telework-from-home job, I wouldn't rule out buying a house in that area.

Last edited by badguykc; 02-27-2023 at 10:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania