Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 07:22 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times

Advertisements

When I lived in PA, I was three miles from a PA TPK interchange and NEVER used it due to the extremely high cost. Yes, I could afford it but it was such a scam, I just didn't want to use it. PA is one of the most corrupt states in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 09:02 PM

335 posts, read 421,772 times
My biggest issue with the turnpike were the delays in the event of a crash. There need to be some sort of emergency offramps when you're in those 20 mile stretches between exits.

Old 03-14-2021, 04:32 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Honestly though, I prefer the quaint and overall beautiful and curvy/fun to drive Pennsylvania Turnpike over the New Jersey modern very barren turnpike
Fear not (or maybe you should), the stretch from Breezewood to Donegal still exists in most of its obsolete, hair-raising glory.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:33 PM

1,839 posts, read 677,172 times
Quote:

Honestly though, I prefer the quaint and overall beautiful and curvy/fun to drive Pennsylvania Turnpike over the New Jersey modern very barren turnpike any day of the week.
On a clear and sunny day, sure.

But with inclement weather or when dark, a drive on mostly flat and straight road is safer.

Old 03-16-2021, 07:36 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Fear not (or maybe you should), the stretch from Breezewood to Donegal still exists in most of its obsolete, hair-raising glory.
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission recently began a project to reconstruct MM 102-109 and widen it to six lanes. That's from about a mile east of the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail to a mile west of the Somerset interchange (Exit 110). The project also involves straightening out two sharp curves. Also, an overpass just east of the Somerset interchange was recently replaced to allow for future widening.

The reconstruction and widening of MM 124-134 will begin next year. All overpasses on this segment have been replaced to allow for widening. There also appear to be plans for the reconstruction and widening of MM 149-155, but the timetable is currently up in the air. East of Breezewood, the reconstruction and widening of MM 180-186 will begin in 2024. This segment is just west of the Tuscarora Tunnel.

The biggest project, however, is the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel, just west of MM 124. The Turnpike Commission wants to either build two new tubes that can handle three lanes each, or build a six-lane bypass of the existing tunnel. Either way, it's going to be a very expensive undertaking.

MM 75-99 and MM 111-123 also need to be widened, though they've already been reconstructed. The Turnpike Commission made the decision to widen the entire highway in 2003, and those segments were let in multiple projects before 2003. The good news is, both segments already have 10' interior shoulders in both directions, and MM 83-99 eastbound already has three lanes, so all that would need to be done is adding a third outer lane in both directions from MM 75-83 and MM 111-123, and a third outer lane westbound from MM 83-99. Simply adding lanes on the outside will be far less expensive and involved than a total reconstruction.

North of Pittsburgh, the reconstruction of MM 28-31 began last year, and will finish next year. That short segment is between I-79 to the west and the Warrendale Toll Plaza to the east, and ties into MM 31-38, which was reconstructed and widened about 10 years ago. Also, PennDOT is replacing and widening the Freedom Road overpass, which will later enable the Turnpike Commission to reconstruct and widen the highway between I-79 and the west junction with I-376.

East of Pittsburgh, work has begun in preparation for reconstructing and widening from MM 49-67. The Saltsburg Road overpass was recently replaced, and the Unity Trestle Road overpass has just been replaced, with part of the Turnpike needing to be closed in the final weekend of this month to safely remove the old overpass. Expect replacements for the Center Road and Northern Pike overpasses soon.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:04 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
Thanks Craziaskowboi...

Do you think the volume on that western portion of the turnpike demands the widening and costs that go with it, as a payoff to continue to increase tolls??

I have driven on portions of it, and it is nice but the traffic volume was not intense.

I understand the Northeast Extension (476) widening because it is in a highly populated area, but some of that western area is very rural and Im surprised they are taking on such an expensive project when they already have budget issues that need to be resolved.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:14 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Thanks Craziaskowboi...

Do you think the volume on that western portion of the turnpike demands the widening and costs that go with it, as a payoff to continue to increase tolls??

I have driven on portions of it, and it is nice but the traffic volume was not intense.

I understand the Northeast Extension (476) widening because it is in a highly populated area, but some of that western area is very rural and Im surprised they are taking on such an expensive project when they already have budget issues that need to be resolved.

I'm assuming you are talking about the sections mid-state, not around Pittsburgh with this question. But yes - I often drive the PA turnpike (I live outside Pittsburgh and my in-laws are near the NJ line near the turnpike). The truck volumes in particular are very heavy even in the rural sections of the state - with sharp bends and steep climbs without truck lanes volume can even build in sections far from Pennsylvania's major cities.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:25 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I'm assuming you are talking about the sections mid-state, not around Pittsburgh with this question. But yes - I often drive the PA turnpike (I live outside Pittsburgh and my in-laws are near the NJ line near the turnpike). The truck volumes in particular are very heavy even in the rural sections of the state - with sharp bends and steep climbs without truck lanes volume can even build in sections far from Pennsylvania's major cities.
Yes I am referring to those areas.. It does make sense due to truck traffic. I understand having three lanes around the Breezewood interchange because I70 brings in lots of traffic, but planning for that whole western stretch of the Turnpike to have three lanes to me seems a little intense.

The tolls are increasing so do we really need to make the entire turnpike three lanes... if not the tolls will need to keep increasing?? Right?

Is the tunnel really that bad currently with traffic? I have driven through it and it was a bit of a maneuver but nothing that terrible...

I guess I am questioning the balance of the Turnpike commissions capital improvement projects and its toll increases.

That section of the Turnpike rarely sees traffic, sure it can be congested at times since its two lanes and those trucks can be annoying.

But is a 15 minute trip extension time due to congestion, worth an increase to get to New Jersey from $47 to $87 dollars???

The Northeast Extension 100% needed it, as it extends directly through Philadelphia's northern suburbs and they have been doing a very great job. It looks very modern with toll booth free of and on ramps. It looks like something from Europe tbh.

Also someone I met from Missouri who had traveled to Philadelphia via the Pennsylvania Turnpike told me that the Pennsylvania Turnpike was the "coolest highway" they have ever driven on. Between the tunnels, hills, curves and rest stops. (I guess they don't have rest stops in the midwest really from what he told me).

Im pretty sure the state auditor general has said the Turnpike is in a crisis. So why are we continuing the widening projects in lower volume sections? I guess that is my point.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 03-16-2021 at 10:37 AM..

Old 03-16-2021, 09:09 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Also someone I met from Missouri who had traveled to Philadelphia via the Pennsylvania Turnpike told me that the Pennsylvania Turnpike was the "coolest highway" they have ever driven on. Between the tunnels, hills, curves and rest stops. (I guess they don't have rest stops in the midwest really from what he told me).

Im pretty sure the state auditor general has said the Turnpike is in a crisis. So why are we continuing the widening projects in lower volume sections? I guess that is my point.
Interstate highways have rest areas — parking lots with restrooms, snack vending machines, and maybe tourist information centers, plus picnic tables.

What they do not have are service plazas — parking areas with restaurants/food courts and gas stations.

The law that created the Interstate Highway System prohibited the construction of service plazas directly on them; this provision was inserted at the behest of gas station, truck stop, restaurant and motel operators who worried that the new freeways would put them out of business if service plazas were allowed. This is why many Interstate highway interchanges are chock full of gas stations, motels and eateries. Toll roads may, and do, have service plazas.

Massachusetts, AFAIK, is the only state where you will find service plazas on non-toll highways. That's because the freeways in question were built using only state money, before the Interstate system came to be.

That Missourian apparently never traveled westward or southwestward from where he lived, for the states of Kansas and Oklahoma both built turnpikes with service plazas on them.

The Turnpike's finances are a mess, thanks largely to Act 44. But the road needs maintenance still. I'll grant that whether it needs widening is another question entirely.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:25 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission recently began a project to reconstruct MM 102-109 and widen it to six lanes. That's from about a mile east of the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail to a mile west of the Somerset interchange (Exit 110). The project also involves straightening out two sharp curves.
Well, that's good news. Those curves are scary nasty, especially in bad weather and/or with trucks on your tail and on your side.

Quote:
Yes I am referring to those areas.. It does make sense due to truck traffic. I understand having three lanes around the Breezewood interchange because I70 brings in lots of traffic, but planning for that whole western stretch of the Turnpike to have three lanes to me seems a little intense.
See above.

Quote:
That section of the Turnpike rarely sees traffic
You're kidding, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania