Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 05:10 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,990,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I agree with your first sentence.

As for sentence #2, why don’t you say “capitalism” instead. I’m fairly confident that capitalism drives the desire by those in charge to do what is necessary to increase profits. I’m not being anti-capitalism, but let’s call it what it is.

Capitalism drives lower prices and innovation.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:25 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I will concede that after further reading today on the subject, I see that the tip credit is in fact on the chopping block which would eliminate the separate tip wage scale. There for it will effect restaurant industry workers pretty significantly, however, it's still a supply and demand type of industry. Good restaurants survive and grow because they are good. Bad die off no matter the wages.
My focus is not on the restaurant industry. It's on the workers. Restaurants have traditionally provided a path to good wages for young kids who hustle. We are constantly hearing about young people who worked their way through college by waiting tables. I'd hate for young people to lose that experience.

Quote:
In any case, it would lift thousands of people in PA out of poverty while at the same time stimulating the economy. I stand my belief that we as a society stand to benefit from the raise. I am hardly the only one who thinks so.

The Congressional Budget Office says raising the minimum wage to $15 will kill jobs. That's not the whole truth — here's why.
I disagree with you and the left wing Wall Street rah-rah crowd at Business Insider. Funny the stock McDonald's photo they use is designed to imply that businesses can absorb $15 an hour. Wall Street shrugs it off and McDonald's maybe can afford $15/hour, since they already pay $14+ in Philly and other metro areas, but Mom & Pop shops can't. Yet another nail in the coffin of small business on the heals of covid shutdowns and added expenses.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:48 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Capitalism drives lower prices and innovation.
Yes, and one way to achieve lower prices (and higher profits) is to make things in cheaper cost countries.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:55 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,625,443 times
Quote:
Yes, and one way to achieve lower prices (and higher profits) is to make things in cheaper cost countries.
Appropriate tariffs take care of that.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Appropriate tariffs take care of that.
Tariffs and patriotism.

Unfortunately patriotism is in short supply among the captains of industry, hence jobs not only being sent offshore but onshore jobs given away to H1B visa holders, as if we don't have enough STEM majors in America. The truth is our STEM majors ask too high a price and capitalism, like water finding its level, finds a cheaper alternative.

The President-who-shall-not-be-named was successful in getting tariffs put on foreign goods and saved some American jobs, but he was unsuccessful in curbing H1B abuse.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:26 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post

The President-who-shall-not-be-named was successful in getting tariffs put on foreign goods and saved some American jobs

That just in not true. Trump's tariffs cost PA thousands of jobs in blue collar industries.

Trump’s tariffs have cost Pa. $816M through June

New Trump tariffs feed fears for Pa. steel, port jobs

Trump’s global tariff war trickles down to Pa. businesses

Old 03-24-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
That just in not true. Trump's tariffs cost PA thousands of jobs in blue collar industries.
So, if tariffs on imported rough commodity steel forced steel fabricators in PA to raise prices on finished products, what's the solution? Where did all the rough steel come from prior to being made in foreign lands?

Apparently the manufacturers held their breath until Trump was out of office rather than revive the domestic infrastructure needed to make the raw materials. That's where a little patriotism among the captains of industry would have come in handy.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:39 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
The right-wing "minimum wage kills jobs" mantra has been around for decades, but the fact of the matter is that there's honestly no clear cut evidence of such.

Unbiased sources (i.e., not the Heritage Foundation, et al) will give you the whole picture:

Quote:
In a first-of-its-kind study, economist William Lester from the University of North Carolina, in cooperation with researchers from the National Employment Law Project, pored over employment data from every federal increase since the minimum wage was first established, making “simple before-and-after comparisons of job growth trends twelve months after each minimum-wage increase.” And the paper’s title says it all:*“Raise Wages, Kill Jobs? Seven Decades of Historical Data Finds No Correlation Between Minimum Wage Increases and Employment Levels.”
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy...nt-theory-scam

In other words, get some new material, conservatives.

Last edited by Duderino; 03-26-2021 at 05:48 PM..

Old 03-26-2021, 05:57 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The truth is our STEM majors ask too high a price and capitalism, like water finding its level, finds a cheaper alternative.
It's more than a little ironic that you're decrying one of the key elements of capitalism: wage levels.

Are you saying that market forces shouldn't play a role in the wages people are paid in each country, and that it would be more "patriotic" if only folks who took the time and effort to invest in a very expensive degree were simply to demand less money? Only to keep industry in America?

Wow, that's a new one.

Last edited by Duderino; 03-26-2021 at 06:22 PM..

Old 03-26-2021, 05:57 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,625,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The right-wing "minimum wage kills jobs" mantra has been around for decades, but the fact of the matter is that there's honestly no clear cut evidence of such.

Unbiased sources (i.e., not the Heritage Foundation, et al) will give you the whole picture:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy...nt-theory-scam

In other words, get some new material, conservatives.
Bingo. It should be raised to $200 per hour tomorrow, and everyone will be instantly affluent. Win win win.

Even better, the government could print and hand everyone $10,000,000, then everyone would be rich and never work again. Then we don't even need a minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania