Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2007, 07:21 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinenjim View Post
I don't think you have too much defending to do about Selinsgrove. I had family who lived there for years and I found the Selinsgrove area to be one of the best towns in PA. I always liked it there. However, I like where clearwaterlargodude lives alot more. Don't knock him for "bailing" in his 20's. Some of us would rather spend our days enjoying life than paying for the mistakes and stupidity of past generations by remaining somewhere where alot of doors are closed to young people. I think many young people in the rustbelt region have gotten the impression they aren't welcome here. It's sort of like one giant nursing home. I applaud clearwaterlargodude for escaping when he did.
I don't necessarily blast "clearwaterlargodude" for moving away from PA, its his insulting tone towards those of us who have stayed here in PA and happen to like it here.

Anyways, like I have said, I have a sneaking suspicion that "clearwaterlargodude" is probably a teenage kid who still lives in PA. No adult with more than a 10th grade education could write and make points as bad as he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 10:47 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,588 times
Quote:
You are very right, however I think the same can be said for the entire "rustbelt" region of the country. Sometimes it seems like the rest of the nation is passing us by up here.

There are alot of "perks" to living here however, like very little illegals, low housing costs, relatively low crime execpt for Pittsburgh, etc. However, it does come with a cost. Sometimes it's very difficult to stay in a good mood around here when faces get sour, people get mean, and there's nothing but grey skies and bitter cold outside. Like this time of year. It's right about now that I wish I was down on the beach by where you live, or cryogeniclly frozen for about the next 2 and 1/2 months.
Housing cost aren't low in PA where the jobs and $ are, I'm speaking from a outside of Philly area, Bucks County/Chester and etc. It's all relative, I actually think the rental rates are high in parts of PA based on the median salaries. Even in some rural areas, I find new construction to be pretty expensive based on the local salary base.

I don't miss the cold, windy, dreary, cloudy gray days. Chapped and dry skin, constantly getting shocked due to the low humidty, ice melt and cinders all over the road, but the snow was pretty as long as you didn't have to drive and you didn't live near a coal burning power plant so it stayed white.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:14 AM

39 posts, read 161,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
I don't necessarily blast "clearwaterlargodude" for moving away from PA, its his insulting tone towards those of us who have stayed here in PA and happen to like it here.

Anyways, like I have said, I have a sneaking suspicion that "clearwaterlargodude" is probably a teenage kid who still lives in PA. No adult with more than a 10th grade education could write and make points as bad as he does.
I definately agree!Definately some trolling going on. I dont care whether any of these people like PA or dont.Its not my job to convince them.Dont really care .I dont like the condescending tone Im getting.PA is only Philly and run down coal towns in their opinion.Whatever.Probably been to one town and making assumptions.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:31 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,571 times
As for the weather in PA, even though it tends to be slightly more dreary than average, at least it friggin snows there. And as for the landscape, the Alleghenies are a beautiful sight (just take a drive through them during a good sunset and you'll see what I'm talking about). Most of the people I've met are actually nice, genuine, and good hearted. When it comes to the weather, landscape, and people, There are plenty of depressing states, but Pennsylvania isn't one of them!

P.S.: To the people who believe central Pennsylvania is a remnant of Alabama, take out racial intolerance

Old 01-09-2007, 06:37 PM

20 posts, read 71,876 times
Lightbulb Bernays

Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
They're both correct.

Did you ever hear of Edward Bernays?
I've heard of Bernays (and the mythology surrounding him) but I don't think he was an evil genius who made all this stuff happen. Basically humanity made a tradeoff - material security for emotional security.

Was it a good trade? Not too many Cavemen left around to ask. The Geico one doesn't count

Trying to have our cake and eat it too, that is, trying to have both kinds of security, would require us to act unnaturally - against our instincts - to oppose the current unnatural environment, where following our instincts actively harms us.

Sorry to those who don't understand what we're talking about. Hopefully you will never have to.

Now I have to relate this to Pennsylvania... um.... I guess I just have to re-iterate that PA is stuck between the two worlds more than most places and gets the bad effects of both.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:32 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,433 times
Quote:
Did I Forget To Mention That Many Famous Stars Are From This 'depressing'' City As Well. Sharon Stone
Sharon Stone is from my neck of the woods,she's from meadville and went to school in saegertown.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:23 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,433 times
Quote:
So What. There's alot of famous people from alot of different places. They have to be born somewhere...unless I'm totally wrong and they actually grow 99% of them out of the ground in California and the other 1% come from PA.
burgherbob said she was from pittsburgh,just correcting

Old 01-11-2007, 02:54 PM

3 posts, read 44,790 times
Not at all Pennsylvaina is a very pleasent place!! I prefer Wilkins Township (suburb of Pittsburgh), myself!!

Old 01-12-2007, 02:14 PM

203 posts, read 1,256,439 times
Quote:
I have no idea what you just said there. are you ok? It almost sounds like you were under the influence of acid or having a stroke while you made that post.
Im fine. Some of this depression is western life. We are so materialistic and shallow we sunk into an abyss of mediocraty. We bought into being a good consumer- and sold out- human relationships- and the simple joys in life.

Further- your stuff can enslave you.

Im like this all the time. I dont touch acid or any street drugs.

America may be number 1, but I feel as a culture we missed the boat on a few items.

I had a teacher that said- our worldly possessions should fit in a truck. No more then that.

Smoke and mirrors-

It sucks- cos the only alternitive is a cult or hard core religion. Which is just as bad.

Why do Americans have such a hard time being happy??

Unrealistic expectations- and a landscape of gimmics.

This applies beyond the borders of PA.

There has to be more to life then malls and gridlock.

Thats how I feel.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:46 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,907,544 times
some dont care to have just a truck load, some want less and some want more

Happy and NOT depressed myself, Happy99% of the time, with my hard core religion and politics i guess i am the happiest

and lack of stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania