Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 12:09 PM

12 posts, read 26,595 times

Advertisements

jtab4994, forgive my ignorance. But what is behind the comment of :Volvo and Subaru territory. For a more pickup truck area"... We were planning to buy a new Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 once we got settled in our rental... Is that over kill or is a Subaru a better option for the rain and snow there in PA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 01:40 PM

2,367 posts, read 908,280 times
I lived in the Philly area in the Main Line suburbs. I know that's not what you're looking for, but I used to visit some more rural areas in PA. My interests in American history and nature took me to some gorgeous countrysides just keep driving west (and south) of where I lived. If I decide to move back to PA, I'd look to settle in those countrysides, and still be able to access doctors in Philly, as I am needing more healthcare as I get old.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:04 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Bound View Post
jtab4994, forgive my ignorance. But what is behind the comment of :Volvo and Subaru territory. For a more pickup truck area"... We were planning to buy a new Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 once we got settled in our rental... Is that over kill or is a Subaru a better option for the rain and snow there in PA?
LOL that was meant to be a wry comment on how people's vehicles can match their politics. In the 1970's Volvo used to call themselves "the car for people who think" because of their boxy look and abundant safety features, and Subaru was one of the first car makers to advertise specifically to gay consumers. And of course pickup trucks are associated with blue collar guys who vote Republican.

https://www.forbes.com/wheels/news/w...-how-you-vote/

I once stopped to pick up my mail here in Shawnee, and I counted 7 Subarus and 2 Volvos in the lot. Mine was the only Ford. I think the others must have been attending some kind of meeting that I wasn't invited to.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:18 PM

LOL, I was really worried that my choice of vehicle might not be the best fit for utility purposes... never thought about the lifestyles impact of it. To each their own, but we will stick with the 1500 Ram.

Last edited by Homer Bound; 05-02-2021 at 08:34 PM..

Old 05-02-2021, 08:26 PM

That is good advice. Healthcare is a vital aspect to having a successful retirement. I do feel that a less stressful and slower pace of life will be beneficial in maintaining a more healthy ageing process.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:10 AM

30,487 posts, read 16,198,344 times
well, in north central PA, Toyotas win by a landslide. Don't know what that means politically but economically they're a low maintenance long lasting car.

Can't speak to schools. I'm way out of touch with that but I do think the State College area might be what you're looking for. Close to the bigger hospitals in Williamsport but also country too.

Slightly warmer climate than the northern part of the state. (Yes, there's a difference).

Old 05-03-2021, 04:06 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
State College is liberal, expensive, and growing too fast to be thought of as rural. Wellsboro or Clarion fit.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:04 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,302 times
I think you should check out Kentucky and Alabama.

HAHA. J/K... BUT....

There is no predominantly rural area of Pennsylvania that offers a quality education. It will all be indoctrination... but perhaps the specific brand you are looking for, from reading your post.

One additional caveat: PA's rural areas are not particular welcoming or favorable toward ethnic minority groups of any type.

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2021, 11:48 AM

334 posts, read 420,925 times
Venango County fits, except for the schools can vary considerably. I think the quality of education has more to do with personal motivation and achievement than a standardized test score.

You can get acreage with a house for under $200k, or you can get a nicer house or more land and still come out well under $400k.

This is definitely a conservative area.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:49 PM

41,945 posts, read 75,144,160 times
If I were retiring to rural Pennsylvania, I would choose eastern Erie County, specifically North East Township with a house on the ridge and a view of Lake Erie. Schools are good and the outlying townships tend to be more conservative than the city and near suburbs, but not so much that a blended Hispanic family would be unwelcome. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Bound View Post
jtab4994, forgive my ignorance. But what is behind the comment of :Volvo and Subaru territory. For a more pickup truck area?
It was an unnecessary comment on the stereotypes some people have assigned to people who drive Volvos and Subarus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania