Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2021, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,466 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if the New Castle area of PA is gay friendly at all? It seems as though the state goes in every direction as far as liberal and conservative. Anyway, looking for something friendly, affordable, preferably emplyment near-ish. Any help with this area or any areas similar would be wonderful. I currently reside in the Black Hills area of SD...thought it was diverse and a bit progressive...I WAS SO WRONG!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 08:43 AM

5,287 posts, read 6,091,509 times
The most LGBT tolerant people will be found either in PAs 2 biggest urban areas or a university town. If you are interested in northwest PA, suggest Edinboro, which is a college town and very near Erie where you can easily find employment. Other places are State College and New Hope.

Old 05-30-2021, 12:39 PM

634 posts, read 1,156,821 times
New Castle is a rust belt dump. Avoid regardless of your sexual persuasion.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:25 PM

645 posts, read 1,524,560 times
Can't say I am a fan of New Castle... I have always found the vibe to be kinda unfriendly, coarse, and bigoted. I remember once refueling in NC, and a white man yelled at a white gal playing rap music to "turn that N****r music down". Direct quote, witnessed at a very busy public gas station.

I'm not a huge fan of Meadville (35 or so miles south of Erie) for various reasons, but there seems to be a sizable LGBT presence in the town. My Gay neighbor flies his pride flag, and upon entering the local Giant Eagle supermarket recently, the first display table was loaded with Gay pride decorated cakes/cookies/cupcakes, etc. The town has Allegheny College, which helps to add a different mindset to the town. Might be worth a look/look around the general area.

Meadville is rather close to Edinboro which has already been mentioned. This is snowbelt country, so factor this into any decision as it relates to potential commuting. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2021, 12:33 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,873,163 times
Maybe look at Beaver PA - the county seat of Beaver County. It's not far away, and it has a cute walkable downtown which runs for a few blocks and has coffeeshops, a few restaurants, various boutiques, etc.

Politically it's a bit further to the right - more light red than New Castle's light blue. But New Castle's blue tilt is mostly due to lower-income black residents, who aren't really that much more apt to be LGBT-friendly overall. And as soon as you get out of the city, the New Castle area is pretty hard right - as opposed to Beaver County, which is more politically mixed.

Old 06-16-2021, 01:07 PM

7,936 posts, read 7,287,495 times
Can we just say wealthy people are going to be more LGBT friendly than poor people. If New Castle has a big enough wealthy section and/or bustling downtown then a gay couple with money will be welcomed there just the same as any XX-XY Yuppy couple, regardless of the politics of the downtrodden urban masses.

Old 06-17-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Can we just say wealthy people are going to be more LGBT friendly than poor people. If New Castle has a big enough wealthy section and/or bustling downtown then a gay couple with money will be welcomed there just the same as any XX-XY Yuppy couple, regardless of the politics of the downtrodden urban masses.
It doesn't. Downtown is pretty much dead, and there aren't any outlying neighborhoods which are wealthy.

Old 06-17-2021, 02:29 PM

A leftish-leaning smaller town to consider in Western PA is Indiana - which is the way it is by virtue of IUP (Indiana University of Pennsylvania) being located there. I think it has the best downtown overall out of any of the counties surrounding Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania