Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 11:03 AM

41,882 posts, read 74,938,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
My granddaughters were catching some last night. I don't think there are as many as when I was growing up in the 1960s. I'm guessing the use of pesticides, both on lawns, and along roads and utility right of ways have reduced the number.
Actually, we're seeing more lightning bugs now than we were when DDT was effectively banned for public use by the EPA. DDT killed off a lot of critters, including lightning bugs and bald eagles, from the 1940s until ending its general use in 1972. Fortunately, most species affected by DDT were able to bounce back, including fireflies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 02:07 PM

10,325 posts, read 10,581,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Actually, we're seeing more lightning bugs now than we were when DDT was effectively banned for public use by the EPA. DDT killed off a lot of critters, including lightning bugs and bald eagles, from the 1940s until ending its general use in 1972. Fortunately, most species affected by DDT were able to bounce back, including fireflies.
Maybe it was the area where I grew up. I don't remember anyone using weed killers or pesticides. Our grass was clover and dandelions, as was all the neighbors in the entire town. I think the first time I used a weed killer, pesticide, or fertilizer was 1988.

I think the lightning bugs have increased in my backyard since I no longer have a neighbor who used to have her lawn and shrubs each treated 4 times a year.

Old 07-20-2021, 08:48 PM

32,846 posts, read 36,153,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaMom View Post
West Coast - that's where I'm from. Born and raised in California. The first time I saw lightning bugs, it was like seeing a unicorn, lol. I almost didn't believe they were real. They have fake ones on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland, so seeing them in person was pretty darn cool.

I definitely like witnessing things that are not common to the places I frequent. I ended up living in Brooklyn for five years and when the leaves changed color every year, I would put a few really colorful ones in a ziplock bag and mail them to my mom and sister back home on the west coast.

Thank you for the responses. Pennsylvania is such a beautiful state. It seems like it has a little bit of everything - something for everyone.
Mailing them was brilliant! It's not just a page on a calendar. Remember those?

Old 07-21-2021, 08:29 AM

41,882 posts, read 74,938,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Maybe it was the area where I grew up. I don't remember anyone using weed killers or pesticides.
DDT often was sprayed by airplanes over wide swaths of land to kill mosquitos, or to kill bugs on crops. The chemical got into the food chain. It wouldn't have mattered if no one in your immediate neighborhood used pesticides on their individual properties.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:16 PM

3,261 posts, read 9,166,262 times
I grew up in SC and NC….fireflies are not just a PA phenomenon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania