Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 01:23 PM

20 posts, read 36,999 times

Advertisements

I keep checking BrightMLS, Zillow, HotPads, etc., for house, townhouse, row home to rent and am not finding what we need. Can you recommend any place to look that I might not know about? I'm not familiar with realtors in that area and hope you might suggest some that handle rentals, too. I can share the filters I'm using if that would help. We've been looking around the historic distrct but I feel there are other walkable areas we may be overlooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 09:00 PM

5,300 posts, read 6,177,484 times
Have you tried Craig's List? Be careful as Craig's List is notorious for rental listing scams.

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/d/a...ent/search/apa

Old 06-20-2021, 07:13 AM

729 posts, read 599,239 times
I don't know about the rental listing services but a lot of Lancaster city is quite walkable. It's pretty small in its footprint as cities go. Also, because it's pretty small, just looking in the historic district is going to mean you're looking at a pretty small amount of housing stock to start with. If you're looking for a nicer, more gentrified, pretty part of town that is adjacent to the downtown core then Chestnut Hill is definitely a place to look. Other neighborhoods could include the Stadium District, Ross, and Musser Park. There are nicer and less-nice blocks in all the city's neighborhoods, but those seem to be most likely for the kind of atmosphere you're looking for and the parts of them that border the downtown core are extremely walkable.

Old 06-21-2021, 01:05 PM

634 posts, read 1,165,344 times
Lancaster City is one of the hottest real estate markets in the country and many of the townhomes that were rentals are getting sold as single family residences. Unless you are willing to settle for an apartment you will be SOL for the foreseeable future.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:23 AM

Thank you! I have looked on Craigslist, even though I'm leery of it. No joy there... I know there's a huge problem in finding rentals now, especially that aren't being sold, and it isn't just Lancaster. I have to find a way to not being SOL for a new rental, as I'm in a row home now that the owners have been wanting to sell for months and they're getting impatient. I don't want to be on the street with my extended family and cats so I'm feeling pretty desperate. I was hoping there might be realtors in that area who handle rentals and might just list them on their own pages.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
I don't know about the rental listing services but a lot of Lancaster city is quite walkable. It's pretty small in its footprint as cities go. Also, because it's pretty small, just looking in the historic district is going to mean you're looking at a pretty small amount of housing stock to start with. If you're looking for a nicer, more gentrified, pretty part of town that is adjacent to the downtown core then Chestnut Hill is definitely a place to look. Other neighborhoods could include the Stadium District, Ross, and Musser Park. There are nicer and less-nice blocks in all the city's neighborhoods, but those seem to be most likely for the kind of atmosphere you're looking for and the parts of them that border the downtown core are extremely walkable.
Thank you, Jessie, for the info on other possibilities! I'll be sure to check those out, too!

Old 07-20-2021, 04:18 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,076 times
Google Olde Hickory. It's not in downtown Lancaster city but 10 minutes away in Manheim Township and they have nice rentals for around 1500 monthly. That's one place I know that has availability in Lancaster. It's crazy the housing market here so be prepared. Best of luck

Old 07-25-2021, 12:35 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,035 times
Well,at least there are cultures closeby that could teach you how to raise your own barn and live off the land...

Old 07-28-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Well,at least there are cultures closeby that could teach you how to raise your own barn and live off the land...
I grew up in Southern Indiana, shoulder to shoulder with the Amish and Mennonites, and your response made me laugh. No, thanks, I don't need more help with that, especially since so many Amish are now raising puppies in puppy mill conditions and I don't care for the way many treat their horses...
I'm now pondering the best place for a barn raising in downtown Lancaster...

Old 07-29-2021, 06:51 AM

10,846 posts, read 4,525,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetlorraine View Post
I grew up in Southern Indiana, shoulder to shoulder with the Amish and Mennonites, and your response made me laugh. No, thanks, I don't need more help with that, especially since so many Amish are now raising puppies in puppy mill conditions and I don't care for the way many treat their horses...
I'm now pondering the best place for a barn raising in downtown Lancaster...

hey we have a puppy mill doggy. she is about 8 now and her sniffer dont work but she has a better life...

we were just in lancaster and stayed at a koa outside couple weeks ago, as we drove the motorhome thru, the wife REALLY liked the curb appeal of the place but it might be too pricey there. lancaster amish are very commercial now and lebanon levi keeps em in line (that is a joke) The amish by us in clarion county would consider lancaster amish 'with the english' such gaudiness is frowned upon in most traditional ordungs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania