U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2008, 09:03 PM

44 posts, read 224,056 times

Advertisements

Hello
I have applied to Penn state as a transfer student(currently living in FL). I have wanted to go to PSU since I was little. However, ive never been to the campus.(state college). How is the area around the college? Where are the normal hangout spots around there? Is the campus in more of the city or in the country?

Any information would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 06:18 AM

955 posts, read 3,933,376 times
The University is part of town, but seperate. The campus is strictly Penn State, but housing especially merges with the town so there is no clear distinction. College Ave. is a popular area of convergence with campus on one side of the street and stores, apartments, resturants, and entertainment on the other. Atherton street is the same way. The town of State College would be a speck on the map without the University. On football weekends, State College becomes the 3rd largest city in PA. behind Philly and Pittsburgh.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:47 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,444,491 times
You will easily be able to walk anywhere you want to go from campus to downtown. The downtown is thriving, with bookstores, fast food, upscale restaurants, etc. There are other more outlying "strip" areas with big box stores such as Wal-Mart, Target, Kohl's, etc.

The campus itself is a bit on the hilly side, but nothing unmanageable. It's very large and spread out over a large area and very shaded with lots of old growth trees. I think it's very pretty, and the town is very vibrant and an exciting place to be.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:08 PM

Arrow Pictures?

Does anyone have pictures of PSU. I've seen some online, but I dont know if those pictures were taken back when it opened or what. lol.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:03 PM

189 posts, read 675,131 times
Default Go PSU!!

State College is a great town and PSU is a great school. The area is very safe, you can go out at night without worrying, unlike in some other college towns. State College has a number of great shops and resturaunts, as well as a mall 5 min. away. Personally, I think the mall is tiny for a college town, but it has everything you need, like JCpenny's and Sears, plus a Macy's and Bon-Ton. Plus there is a Aeropostale, American Eagle, etc. Target and Wal-Mart are also close. There is also a number of movie theaters. State College is a generally rural town, and stays true to it's agriculture roots. You'll find the townies friendly.
Here's some pictures:

http://collegerule.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/white1js9.gif (broken link)

http://www.math.psu.edu/images/elms.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-15-2008, 06:04 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,325,926 times
State College is pretty rural. There is a popular John Stewart quote thats like you see a ton of cows and then 40,000 students (I forget how the quote goes..). There is hardly any where to go shopping for clothes, except for the expensive stores downtown or at the mall that has an express and AE. Everyone always hated that. Besides that, PSU has everything you need. The area is divided by Colllege Ave, which separates "downtown" from campus. Generally freshmen and sophomores live in dorms and upperclassmen live in apartments (obv not EVERYONE). There are lots of restaurants, a movie theater, and tons of activities (concerts, speakers, sports events) all in walking distance. The area really caters to the students. Greek life is big and so are sports. Thurs-Sat nights (and sometimes other nights) are loud and crazy. PSU in the fall is gorgeous with all of the leaves changing, but the winter is long, cold and dark. By the end of spring semester it is usually warm and green.

Let me know if you have any questions! Google state college and PSU and you will find tons of pictures. Or go to webshots and type in PSU...

Old 05-16-2008, 09:01 AM

Yea I have been looking at pictures on google, and it seems very pretty!I read somewhere that there is a ski resort close by?

Thanks for all the input!

Old 05-16-2008, 05:42 PM

189 posts, read 675,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorbrandi07 View Post
Yea I have been looking at pictures on google, and it seems very pretty!I read somewhere that there is a ski resort close by?

Thanks for all the input!
Yeah, there is Tussey Mountain. Here's their website:
. : Tussey Mountain : .

Old 05-17-2008, 02:40 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,325,926 times
Not exactly a resort by any means, but definitely a good place to ski if you are coming from Florida!

Old 05-17-2008, 10:31 PM

32,160 posts, read 74,087,209 times
I live in the Scranton area, about two-and-a-half hours to the northeast of campus, and many in my graduating class decided to attend Penn State-University Park for college. I myself am regretting not going with them, as I'm now entering my final year at a local college that I'm very unhappy with. I visit PSU whenever I can, and as a man of discerning taste you should trust me when I tell you that Penn State is indeed all it's cracked up to be. They have just about every extra-cirricular activity you could imagine, strong academic programs, great athletics, friendly people, and a beautiful (albeit congested) town to accompany it. I loved my first visit out there and hope to find time to return this summer for a photo tour if gas prices ever stabilize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania