Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 PM

53 posts, read 84,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truserenity View Post
Isn't tampering with someone elses mailbox against the law? I think you can call your local post office and complain about and they will investigate . I know this is the case in North Carolina, because I had my own issues with neighbors constantly blocking my mailbox. It is absolutely unacceptable for someone to open your mailbox especially with all the ID theft that is out there. If I were you I would report them.
Thanks for your input. Yes, it is unacceptable that someone would open another's mailbox. I did not report it as I have no tangible proof such as a photo. It would just be my word against hers & she denies everything. I have located a lockable mailbox that I will buy when I can. That should put the brakes on her. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 06:30 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,112 times
Shame; Manheim Township has great homes and a good school district. There always seems to be a tradeoff, no matter where you live.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:24 PM

18 posts, read 49,195 times
Sorry to hear that some of you are having a difficult time in lancaster county, but please don't let that be a deterrent to those of you interested in moving there. I grew up in Lancaster....loved my neighbors, my school, and my town. I never encountered this attitude that some of you are speaking of....and my family moved there when i was in the 3rd grade (my sister in the 8th). My family made friends with the neighbors quite easily. No one snooped in our mailboxes (that i'm aware of).

If you're interested in moving a family to Lancaster county, I"d suggest the surrounding communities for a better option for school. I grew up in Lititz...quaint town with halloween parades, and 4th of July celebrations, craft shows and the option to walk to school. Warwick School District is excellent from top to bottom...When I went to college I tested out of a lot of basic courses b/c of the education I received. Without much "expertise" on growing up in other towns, I would say that Hempfield and Manheim Township offer similar outcomes in regards to schools.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:53 AM

5 posts, read 8,149 times
How about Pittsburgh? That's my home city. It consistently receives the most livable award. Inexpensive housing, low crime, arts and tons of culture make it a wonderful town. But for me the best part is the warmth and friendliness of the people. It is notorious for it's friendliness. I believe it's because it is so ethnically diverse of European descendants...Italians, Russians, Germans (the nice ones), Irish, Croatian and so on. It still has that blue collar, hard working mentality where there is such a sense of community, even though Pittsburgh now thrives in the medical, technology and education fields. We are moving back next year, God willing!! And it is beautiful with all of the hills and spectacular views!

Old 10-21-2011, 07:22 AM

53 posts, read 84,941 times
Thanks for the suggestion re: Pittsburgh. I have 2 reasons for being nervous about moving, 1- Economy not good for selling your home right now & 2 - My big fear is moving to a place where I am surrounded by awful people like I am now. That is true of anywhere you go; you just never know till you get there & then it's too late. After I had lived here for a few months I spoke with the former owner re: another matter & he asked what I thought of the neighbors. I told him the truth: they are a horror show. He was just beside himself laughing so hard that I am now stuck with the neighbors downstairs. Thought it was sooo funny that he had told me "how nice" they were & that I believed him. I am telling you, I have never met so many sick, mean, twisted sons of !#$%^&! in one place in all my life. I will look into what you said, though. Sounds much nicer for sure; thanks!

Old 10-28-2011, 01:27 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Yes!
Lancaster is beautiful!

People are straight forward and kind (I love the Amish people, they mind to themselves... so is not unfriendly as people think, but always eager to help as a good samaritan does).

Great for organic / locally grown foods & eats.
Great air, great roads to Philli, NYC...
Air is wonderful.... and close to good basic living as one can get.

Note...
Renting is different scenario than buying a home though. Renting one have to "put up" with your neighbors (up stairs, downstairs, to your right / left...)... not just the neighborhood locals that you can have your little piece of heaven when you close that door to your very own house when/if you want to.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Yes!
Lancaster is beautiful!

People are straight forward and kind (I love the Amish people, they mind to themselves... so is not unfriendly as people think, but always eager to help as a good samaritan does).

Great for organic / locally grown foods & eats.
Great air, great roads to Philli, NYC...
Air is wonderful.... and close to good basic living as one can get.

Note...
Renting is different scenario than buying a home though. Renting one have to "put up" with your neighbors (up stairs, downstairs, to your right / left...)... not just the neighborhood locals that you can have your little piece of heaven when you close that door to your very own house when/if you want to.
I wish I could meet some of the people you're describing, hueyeats. The ones I've met have two sides of their mouths that they use constantly. I take everything I hear here with a grain of salt due to the lying and backstabbing. I wouldn't count on anyone here to spit in my direction if my house caught fire.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:34 PM

3 posts, read 5,432 times
Default Been following your thread

[quote=lititzman2003;21509537]I wish I could meet some of the people you're describing, hueyeats. The ones I've met have two sides of their mouths that they use constantly. I take everything I hear here with a grain of salt due to the lying and backstabbing. I wouldn't count on anyone here to spit in my direction if my house caught fire.[/quote

lititzman2003,
I have lived in Lititz, PA since 2008. It is now 2011 and I still have not met any people(or person) that I feel that I can call friend. Even the people at work are just people I work with and nothing more. Some still will not treat me as a co-worker and do not speak, but they will go to foreign countries and help the orphans(which there is nothing wrong with that) except that I feel that charity or whatever should begin at home. There are no clubs that I feel that will fit me at this time in my life to join(I am a widow with no kids). The people are so cold and unfriendly. I have spent my time here buying local and trying to be friendly to no avail. I love the small town feel but there is a limit that a person can take in regards to the (outsider) feeling people regard you with. You are right about them holding their hand out with a smile but they will freeze you out the minute you may have a difference of opinion. They will play at being your friend just to find out information about you, then the first chance they get they use it against you if they can. At this time I can honestly say living here is worse than living in a big city. I wish there was a club for newcomers in Lititz. I have checked online but it just does not look very promising. To everyone one thinking of moving here, please think again.

grinpa

Old 10-31-2011, 06:42 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Here is a group that likely is mostly empty nesters and retirees from what I can tell: website of the Lancaster Hiking Club

Old 11-01-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Here is a group that likely is mostly empty nesters and retirees from what I can tell: website of the Lancaster Hiking Club
Thank you for this, ki0eh. Your efforts to find a solution to our issues here are very appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania