Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
I keep hearing that also as i read through some of these forums about the " Lancaster County " locals not being so warm towards newcomers, but does anybody here live in Lancaster County ? If so why would they be so rude or mean to newcomers? We do live in a free country, we can move anywhere we want. I'm originally from Long Island NY myself and now Vegas in both places i dont mind and never really seen any problems when newcomers move into NY or Nevada.
sure it is a free country and you can move wherever you want but reality is that it doesnt mean people will like you or be welcoming. I moved from Philadelphia to Portland Or thinking people would be nice and open like they advertised. People are not welcoming or nice, but nothing can force them to be.

try and find an area that might be more accepting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 09:10 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
I really wonder what is in the water in many places in PA? I found peole in NY and Vermont much more friendly. I love german culture but I wouldnt if it s the germanic personality that makes people not so warm. Philly is rude and some can be cold, but there is also very nice people to be found.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:47 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
...except I noticed the new plastic ones say "Made in China"
The company here that makes the mousetraps, Woodstream, is concerned about the imports, trust me.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
I really wonder what is in the water in many places in PA? I found peole in NY and Vermont much more friendly. I love german culture but I wouldnt if it s the germanic personality that makes people not so warm. Philly is rude and some can be cold, but there is also very nice people to be found.
Philly can be tough but at least the people stand up for what they believe in and aren't afraid to use their spine. Out here most of the people blow in the wind and do whatever is popular.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:42 PM

53 posts, read 84,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
You are right about Philly, you can find rude people anywhere but at least in Philly you stand a very good chance of meeting some real nice people. That's because there is a mix of people & it is not insular & backwards. People here are very suspicious of any one who did not originate here, & habitually blame absolutely everything bad here on what they call "the city". Someone asked me where my son lives; I told them approx. 10 min. from the PA border. "Oh, Philly". NO, NOWHERE NEAR PHILLY. They asked where I came from; I told them NY state. "Oh, the city". NO, NOT NYC. If I could afford to live there do you think we would be having this conversation? Everything is the fault of "the city". I am sure they will blame the current Penn State disgrace "on the city" also. That's the way it is here, carolinajack.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:30 PM

People out here hate Philadelphians, no doubt. They hated Rendell because he was the Mayor there for awhile. He was originally from NY but that didn't matter. I guess they hate Corbett as well, since he was from the Philly suburbs AND he's Catholic!

Old 11-11-2011, 07:53 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Well they should hate the Brooklyn born JoePa too...

Old 11-11-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Well they should hate the Brooklyn born JoePa too...
It would be 50/50 with Joe if he lived out here. He's an outsider but he's involved with Penn State, which everyone loves.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
It would be 50/50 with Joe if he lived out here. He's an outsider but he's involved with Penn State, which everyone loves.

I am sure Joe, still an outsider after all these years, will be crucified. On the other hand there will probably be plenty of excuses for that monster Sandusky, who was born here in PA. Remember the Floyd Landis incident?
That jerk took drugs, lied about it,
blamed everyone else, denied it, took

millions from local friends & neighbors for his legal defense, & years later when he came clean his sooo religious parents put a sign on their lawn quoting scripture re: throwing the first stone.

But that's okay, because he was a local Lancaster boy.

Last edited by Donna113; 11-11-2011 at 04:23 PM..

Old 11-11-2011, 04:16 PM

Default Here's another one

If any of you have been to a grocery store, you may have noticed a brand of canned tomatoes called "Furmano's". Sounds like a quality Italian brand of tomato, right? You could not be more wrong.

A local Lancaster "religious" family, who "follow Bible principles" such as "honesty" by the name of FURMAN added an "O" to the end of their surname to sound Italian & therefore appeal to more shoppers & therefore MAKE MORE MONEY. Of course this name change was not the fault of the Furman family; since it was the suggestion of an outsider it was ok to lie. And continue to lie to this day. But they follow Bible principles such as honesty, of course.

Just another example of a fine Lancaster family. Don't believe me? Check out their website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania