Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 11:14 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,324,957 times

Advertisements

Have a great day, pman!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 03:37 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,728,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna113 View Post
You make absolutely no sense & are just rambling on. You are definitely looking for a fight, pal. Maybe you should calm yourself down & stop being so mean.
just because someone is born somewhere doesn't mean that's who they are no matter what you people say.

Last edited by pman; 11-14-2011 at 04:13 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 05:34 PM

53 posts, read 84,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schultzykins View Post
Thanks back for the validation Donna. It cost me more than people know living on that good land with vile people. I'm German by name but we are not like these...we are Polish, Italian, German, Irish...and would never be like this ugly sect.
I thought of you today, schultzykins. Your words came crashing back to me. Specifically the descriptive word "vile".

Today I stopped by one of the local places to pick up a few groceries. I got in line @ the cashier & noticed the man right behind me only had about 4 items. I had about 12, so I said to him "Please, go ahead". He just looked @ me; he didn't move. I thought perhaps he could be hearing impaired which I am sensitive to since I have some hearing loss. So, I said it again but this time I motioned with my hand. He went ahead, & after he did he looked @ me & said "Are you from New York or New Jersey?" I was floored. Just floored. I had only said three words. I told him I was from New York originally. He informed me that local people do not like NYer's because they were "not raised right".

I can not express the things that went through my mind, first & foremost, if YOU were "raised right" then who raised you to treat people so shabbily? You took the closer place in line because I was gracious enough to offer it to you, of course you did.

Thank the Dear Lord at this very moment I recalled the words of schultzykins. Vile. Vile people on this good land. This was the definition of vile standing before me.

I can not change the huge mistake I unknowingly made by moving here, but hopefully I can change where I live in the future before I die. And change my reactions to these despicable people. As lititzman2003 once said, to survive here, just take care of yourself & your property & the heck with everyone else.

If you are accustomed to living with people who posess intelligence, have common courtesy manners & are not inbred, then stay where you are. If you must move, then don't move here. That's the way it is, & it's beyond belief.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to every single individual I have "met" on this forum who were good enough to share their similar experiences. I am truly sorry that you all suffered @ the hands of these imbeciles, but I am grateful I found you.

To the rest of you who just like to rub salt in our wounds, as if we need any more pain, there is a place for you. It is called the IGNORE list.

Thanks to all; Bless you all.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:25 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,324,957 times
That is disgusting, Donna. "Raised right"? I guess being taught to be considered of others is wrong. What a loser!

Old 11-19-2011, 11:05 PM

7,246 posts, read 10,493,980 times
Quote:
I can not change the huge mistake I unknowingly made by moving here, but hopefully I can change where I live in the future before I die. And change my reactions to these despicable people. As lititzman2003 once said, to survive here, just take care of yourself & your property & the heck with everyone else.
If true, that's quite appalling. Unfortunately, some people know no boundaries of obnoxiousness -- or worse, do not know when they're being obnoxious. You clearly were wronged in this situation.

However, I don't see how the words highlighted above are any more justified than the words spoken against you. Much like negatively stereotyping the child-rearing of New Yorkers and New Jerseyans is unfair, so, too, is calling the residents of an entire area "despicable."

Old 11-20-2011, 08:10 AM

Hey Duderino... the man who spoke those words is, in my opinion, clearly despicable. And unfortunately I have been the recipient of quite a lot like him. But not every single person is like this jerk, this imbecile. Lots of people have the sense to keep their opinions to themselves, and although hard to fathom, a few are actually civil. So the term "these despicable people" means exactly that, the people who ARE despicable. Not the ones who are not.

And unfortunately this account is true & was not an isolated incident. The first few times things like this began to occur I told myself each incident was an isolated one, and left it at that. After repeated incidents I could no longer term them "isolated", as a pattern most definitely emerged. It is the way it is.

Last edited by Donna113; 11-20-2011 at 08:22 AM..

Old 11-20-2011, 09:20 AM

Duderino, do you remember posting this? I think it was insightful. Please read it again:

"Well, I'll admit I was being a little harsh with the word "puritanical." Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a lot of what has come from Deutsch culture (unique food, tidiness, efficient work ethic, etc.), but I think my main point was, and this has a lot to do with the close relation to the Amish, that many PA Germans -- although much more common among the older generations -- tend to have a very stubborn and stingy attitude when it comes to progress and change. I hate to say it, but I believe this mentality has fostered a lot of racism, for one. From personal experience, I grew up in an unique situation where the old-school PA Dutch began to clash with the more cosmopolitan presence of Philly suburban sprawl. The way many treated and reacted to newcomers who were not "one of them" (that is, white, German, and of protestant faith) was very tragic. I have nothing against those who are religious, but when I saw it used as a persecuting tool by many fundamentalist locals, I began to resent it as something I always sort of associated with the PA Dutch -- strict religiosity. I loved growing up where I did, but I am definitely glad the demographics are shifting."

Duderino, you more so than most can truly appreciate the not "one of them" way of being treated.

Last edited by Donna113; 11-20-2011 at 09:44 AM..

Old 11-20-2011, 09:55 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,908,090 times
Quote:
Today I stopped by one of the local places to pick up a few groceries. I got in line @ the cashier & noticed the man right behind me only had about 4 items. I had about 12, so I said to him "Please, go ahead". He just looked @ me; he didn't move. I thought perhaps he could be hearing impaired which I am sensitive to since I have some hearing loss. So, I said it again but this time I motioned with my hand. He went ahead, & after he did he looked @ me & said "Are you from New York or New Jersey?" I was floored. Just floored. I had only said three words. I told him I was from New York originally. He informed me that local people do not like NYer's because they were "not raised right".
That is unbelievably ignorant, but is by no means limited to the Lancaster area. You will find this attitude everywhere. What varies is the degree to which it is prevalent.

I've found that it seems to be most prevalent in areas that were once farmland and fields and have now become places to live. I don't just mean "homes", I mean cultural and commercial areas as well. This attitude runs wild in much of the northern part of PA as well. People in Berwick will decry the "yuppies" who want to move there, people in Scranton will rally against the efforts to improve the safety / livability / vibrancy of their downtown, and people in Lewisburg will complain about urban sprawl.

Then, when their children grow up and move away, they complain about that too.

This isn't the majority of people in those areas, it's just the extraordinarily-vocal minority. You can defeat them by ignoring them. Lancaster and Harrisburg both have tremendous artistic, cultural, employment, and living opportunities. If you let them, these opportunities will quickly drown out the complainers.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
That is unbelievably ignorant, but is by no means limited to the Lancaster area. You will find this attitude everywhere. What varies is the degree to which it is prevalent.

I've found that it seems to be most prevalent in areas that were once farmland and fields and have now become places to live. I don't just mean "homes", I mean cultural and commercial areas as well. This attitude runs wild in much of the northern part of PA as well. People in Berwick will decry the "yuppies" who want to move there, people in Scranton will rally against the efforts to improve the safety / livability / vibrancy of their downtown, and people in Lewisburg will complain about urban sprawl.

Then, when their children grow up and move away, they complain about that too.

This isn't the majority of people in those areas, it's just the extraordinarily-vocal minority. You can defeat them by ignoring them. Lancaster and Harrisburg both have tremendous artistic, cultural, employment, and living opportunities. If you let them, these opportunities will quickly drown out the complainers.

What a great post, thank you for sharing all that. It is truly appreciated. I met a neighbor with whom I shared some of my experiences, and now she tries (which she does not have to do) to show me some nice things about living here that do not involve being treated badly. She is, to me, like an answer to a prayer. And people like you & others here are too.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:40 AM

41,737 posts, read 74,684,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
People out here hate Philadelphians, no doubt. They hated Rendell because he was the Mayor there for awhile. He was originally from NY but that didn't matter.
Nah. I hate Rendell because he's an two-faced weasel.
Quote:
I guess they hate Corbett as well, since he was from the Philly suburbs AND he's Catholic!
And he's a weasel-in-training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania