Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:24 PM

9 posts, read 45,474 times

Advertisements

You're full of$#%^^ - You're not worth my precious time to say another word at this time. Someday, I hope one day you are exposed to the media of the "real world" hidden beneath your smiles and dagers you hand out on a daily basis. There is "no God" here - it's just your man-made religion to instill the "fear" in everyone, and guess what, "you're all so stupid" that these locals will believe anything you tell them. Why don't you tell them to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge for they most likely will listen! What a mockery you make of the real God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 12:50 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,619,814 times
hey nygal....oops. Remember to log out and log into your new screen name before you post as another person. You've been caught! What a fraud!

Old 05-27-2008, 02:38 AM

1 posts, read 4,398 times
Well, I am from Utah and my family is thinking about moving to Lancaster County. I am interested in knowing what neighborhoods would be best to raise a family of 7. We are looking for a good area with good schools. Any help or advice would be welcomed! Thank you in advance.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:16 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,438 times
Might be beating a dead horse here but since Eclecticolector asked I would tell you what I know about Lititz in the five years I've been here. AVOID IT!! I was hoping the ignorance was just centered in our wonderful development but no, it's pretty widespread. As, as others have mentioned on this and other threads, most of the people are flat out phonies. In church, it's "peace to you, brother, etc". But, once outside, they walk right past you like you don't exist. The only chance you may have of establishing friendships is by meeting others from other parts of the world, not the natives here. Too many head games and back stabbing. No one has the courage to be honest with anyone here. You think people accept you or even like you but then you find out the hard way they just want information about your life to rip you down in their pathetic conversations with their friends. Sometimes my wife & I go to bed with tears in our eyes from being so frustrated with the way things are here. And, before any asks, we do plan on moving as soon as the housing market improves. I didn't experience this nonsense in high school.

As I mentioned in previous posts, if you're under 35, have perfectly healthy children, a large deck, and can live your life like a Stepford Wife then you MAY have a chance of actually having people say hello to you.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:04 AM

14 posts, read 77,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
For those who are not originally from Lancaster how is the current job market in Lancaster county compared to where you used to live?
A lot better. We just came from the gulf coast area where the hurricanes ripped everything apart. You can make a living here without a college degree...which is rare where I come from.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:46 AM

14 posts, read 77,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
Might be beating a dead horse here but since Eclecticolector asked I would tell you what I know about Lititz in the five years I've been here. AVOID IT!! I was hoping the ignorance was just centered in our wonderful development but no, it's pretty widespread. As, as others have mentioned on this and other threads, most of the people are flat out phonies. In church, it's "peace to you, brother, etc". But, once outside, they walk right past you like you don't exist. The only chance you may have of establishing friendships is by meeting others from other parts of the world, not the natives here.
As I mentioned in previous posts, if you're under 35, have perfectly healthy children, a large deck, and can live your life like a Stepford Wife then you MAY have a chance of actually having people say hello to you.
Well said. I've lived in Lititz for the past year....we moved from inner city Lancaster where we lived for 9 months....and I hate the people so much. They are SOOO STUCK UP. And they have absolutely nothing to be stuck up about. You can just tell in all their actions, how they say 'hi' to you (if they bless with their acknowledgment at all), how they act when they're forced to talk to you when you're in their shop. They just act like they're disgusted to associate with a low life like you.....or maybe it's just how I'm treated because everyone thinks I'm hispanic for some reason (I'm actually indonesian and a little darker than the pasty people around here). I get stared at A LOT around here....I really don't know why, it's not like I go jogging in daisy dukes or anything. My muslim friend was almost denied service at the Subway here....she won't come back cause they were so rude to her. They had the high school on the national news not too long ago because of the racism problems. And after that some stupid kid was mocking the Mckasky (sp?) High School kids with a rebel flag.
I do have some friends here that are great....NONE of them are Lancaster natives <g> coincidence? I guess most of the natives are too busy gossiping during bible study to make new friends. A lot of people think the amish are quaint and cute.....they have drinking and drug problems too, not many people know about that. My hubby works with an amishman that got kicked out because of mental and drug problems. When no one is looking you can find a lot of them using electric things. They aren't as wholesome and wonderful as people think.
I talked to a teacher the other day and she was complaining that after 20 years of living and teaching here, she was still viewed as an outsider. That's the mindset, if the people didn't know your great grandmother then you are an outsider and always will be. A 'plus' side is that due to massive overdevelopment and destruction of beautiful farmland for hideous row homes, outsiders are starting to outnumber the locals. Of course 501 is terrible to travel on and they like to shut it down to sell apple scented doileys during the craft show. The locals still refuse to upgrade the roads, fearing that it will lead to more population growth.....yet they still sell land and let developers build giant developments. Anything for a buck.....you'll find the mennonites are seriously cheap and will rip you off any chance they get. On Saturday morning, if you have to go anywhere...be prepared for slow travel as the amish load up their buggys at garage sells and the mennonites roam around in their vans to scoop up used clothing for their 20 kids they blessed the rest of the world with.
They are shrewd, stuck up, intolerant people here that love to hide behind their christianity. If you're white with light colored hair, go to church, drive a Lexus SUV, (not cause you like it or need the room for your 2 kids but because all your neighbors have one), attend church because it's expected of you, then you'll fit right in and love Lititz. A plus is that since they don't let the minorities in around here, the schools are great. They have tons of elementary schools around here....why, I don't know....I guess that's what you do when you charge out the behind for school tax, build more schools so your cousin can make a little more money off of the bid. Ok....enough ranting, living here is making me bitter....3 more years and I can leave these nazis.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:24 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,438 times
I feel your pain, Okhotneek. I agree with most of what you said. We're white Catholics and are still ignored. Again, the natives hear your voice, realize it's different from theirs, and you're labeled as a trouble-making outsider. But they'll be nice to you when the women are selling Tupperware and the kids are pushing subs and candles for their school. But don't expect an invite to the block party or be asked to hang out on the deck with everyone. The closest friends we have here are from New York and the Pittsburgh area, and neither of them live in our development. The kids are nasty and spoiled. They are not taught to respect anyone or anything. Take a walk around your neighborhood and listen to the vulgarity coming from the mouths of 10-12 year old kids. We especially enjoyed hearing one of our alter servers using the f word while eating an ice cream cone last week! The people here are cold, rude and socially challenged, and they are raising their kids to be the same way.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:35 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okhotneek View Post
Well said. I've lived in Lititz for the past year....we moved from inner city Lancaster where we lived for 9 months....and I hate the people so much. They are SOOO STUCK UP. And they have absolutely nothing to be stuck up about. You can just tell in all their actions, how they say 'hi' to you (if they bless with their acknowledgment at all), how they act when they're forced to talk to you when you're in their shop. They just act like they're disgusted to associate with a low life like you.....or maybe it's just how I'm treated because everyone thinks I'm hispanic for some reason (I'm actually indonesian and a little darker than the pasty people around here). I get stared at A LOT around here....I really don't know why, it's not like I go jogging in daisy dukes or anything. My muslim friend was almost denied service at the Subway here....she won't come back cause they were so rude to her. They had the high school on the national news not too long ago because of the racism problems. And after that some stupid kid was mocking the Mckasky (sp?) High School kids with a rebel flag.
I do have some friends here that are great....NONE of them are Lancaster natives <g> coincidence? I guess most of the natives are too busy gossiping during bible study to make new friends. A lot of people think the amish are quaint and cute.....they have drinking and drug problems too, not many people know about that. My hubby works with an amishman that got kicked out because of mental and drug problems. When no one is looking you can find a lot of them using electric things. They aren't as wholesome and wonderful as people think.
I talked to a teacher the other day and she was complaining that after 20 years of living and teaching here, she was still viewed as an outsider. That's the mindset, if the people didn't know your great grandmother then you are an outsider and always will be. A 'plus' side is that due to massive overdevelopment and destruction of beautiful farmland for hideous row homes, outsiders are starting to outnumber the locals. Of course 501 is terrible to travel on and they like to shut it down to sell apple scented doileys during the craft show. The locals still refuse to upgrade the roads, fearing that it will lead to more population growth.....yet they still sell land and let developers build giant developments. Anything for a buck.....you'll find the mennonites are seriously cheap and will rip you off any chance they get. On Saturday morning, if you have to go anywhere...be prepared for slow travel as the amish load up their buggys at garage sells and the mennonites roam around in their vans to scoop up used clothing for their 20 kids they blessed the rest of the world with.
They are shrewd, stuck up, intolerant people here that love to hide behind their christianity. If you're white with light colored hair, go to church, drive a Lexus SUV, (not cause you like it or need the room for your 2 kids but because all your neighbors have one), attend church because it's expected of you, then you'll fit right in and love Lititz. A plus is that since they don't let the minorities in around here, the schools are great. They have tons of elementary schools around here....why, I don't know....I guess that's what you do when you charge out the behind for school tax, build more schools so your cousin can make a little more money off of the bid. Ok....enough ranting, living here is making me bitter....3 more years and I can leave these nazis.
Okotneek,

I'm really sorry you are having a hard time here, I really am. I'm originally from Louisiana, having lived in both Baton Rouge and New Orleans and a few other places while in the military, including an overseas post. I have been connected to this region for a long time. I arrived here in '88, left in '00, lived in the DC area for 7 and recently returned. I have only been back to La 3 times since the storm and may get back later in the year. it's weird when I go down there, because people wave and speak to you. Here, your presence is rarely acknowledged unless you make an extreme effort to speak, and only then it is returned in a half-hearted manner. After being here for so long, you get conditioned to this insular behavior, then when you go elsewhare and are received warmly, it can be a shock.

Yes..this area is indeed socially insular and not known for it's warmth and friendliness, especially to "outsiders". It can be a rude awakening, especially for someone who has lived in a diverse and friendlier environment. Ironically, the longest converation I had with anyone in my complex was a guy and his wife who just moved here from New York, and they invited me in for a beer, but we had decline since we had to go somewhere. We did agree to have that beer at another time and catch up again.

My friends here are either from out of state, overseas or other parts of Pa. with the exception of one who grew up locally but has lived other places and traveled quite a bit. Don't believe the hype about NY people being aloof, rude and snobbish. Opinionated, pushy at times and blunt? yes. I have found many to be outgoing, hospitable and friendly, though. Not in a "Southern" sense, but in their own way.

I will say, though that not every single person here is the way you described and this area does have SOME good to it. You may just have you look a bit harder. I love the scenery, especially along the Susquehanna and other wonders that have not been obliterated by development.

Hang in there! Trust me..I'm sure you know there are worse places. Good luck..

Last edited by Gil3; 05-28-2008 at 09:45 AM..

Old 09-10-2008, 02:39 PM

6 posts, read 21,341 times
I find this conversation so interesting. It just reinforces my feeling that Lancaster is a fundamentally unfriendly, backwards place.

My family moved to Lancaster County from Indiana in 1981. My parents live right off route 23 in a community that was built up in the 70s, and they're still considered newcomers by many in the neighborhood, despite having lived there for nearly 30 years.

I went to Conestoga Valley, which was considered one of the better schools when I was in high school in the 80s. I found it to be a really conservative, insular place, and honestly, I couldn't wait to get out. I felt like I was imprisoned there. I hightailed it out of there as quickly as I could. I was at NYU three months after I graduated and I've been in the NY/NJ area for the past 22 years. I love it here -- it's a friendly, diverse population, something that I just never experienced in Lancaster.

I visit Lancaster at least 4-5 times a year to visit my parents and my brother, who lives in the Harrisburg area. My husband, who is a Long Island native, finds the people strange and cold. So do I. You couldn't pay us enough to live there. I love to see my parents but by the end of the weekend, I have always had my fill of the place. It's a beautiful place, but rolling hills and green fields will only get you so far if you can't stand the people.

I also find it rather telling that out of my network of high school friends who I have kept up with (maybe 25 people, and this includes people who went to various schools in the area, not just CV), only one has remained in Lancaster County. I have friends in NY, NJ, Washington, Savannah, Philadelphia, Baltimore and northern California who all escaped Lancaster's clutches. If it's so great, why wouldn't they stay?

Having said all of that, School Lane Hills is probably the only place in Lancaster where I would consider living, if I had to live there. The homes are gorgeous and it's the only neighborhood that I know of that has more of a northeastern feel. I'm not into the rural or the cookie cutter suburban McMansion thing, so SLH or the older part of Lititz would be the only areas I could think of that I would feel at home in. But then there is the school system to contend with. I'd probably send my kids to Country Day if I could afford it (a big if).

Old 09-11-2008, 09:03 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times
interesting thread. Is it the same way in Lancaster City - rude/introverted? I'm thinking about a job there. I was on on the fence about relocating so this could be a deal breaker.

Amtrak might be better for my sanity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania