Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 06:16 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,979,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
You are still not answering my question. I asked about the Current death rate.

You are using old data that dates back to the beginning of the pandemic when there was no vaccine and only a rudimentary understanding of how to treat it.

But let me do it for you.

The 7-day average New Cases for PA is 7,291 as of 11/14/21.
The 7-day average Deaths for PA is 72 as of 11/14/21.

So that's more like 1%, or half of what you claim it is. You're welcome.

From the Yahoo COVID-19 page TODAY:

Pennsylvania confirmed cases: 1,654,063 Deaths: 32,483 2%

The title of that thread is 2% of confirmed cases in PA have died. That is a correct statement.

https://imgur.com/a/D1Yn9tC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 06:28 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,330,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
The title of that thread is 2% of confirmed cases in PA have died. That is a correct statement.
1,500 people died on the Titanic. That is a correct statement. But it's irrelevant in 2021 because it has nothing to do with cruise ship safety today.

Again, what's your point about a historic 2% death rate?

Vaccines, better treatment, and better medical understanding and public education have brought the current death rate below 1%.

Old 11-22-2021, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Does it matter if it's 2% or 1%? People are still dying.
If it doesn't matter then why bring it up? I'm not criticizing you for echoing the OP, I'm just trying to set the record straight.

Old 11-22-2021, 01:19 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,731,431 times
Quote:
If it doesn't matter then why bring it up? I'm not criticizing you for echoing the OP, I'm just trying to set the record straight.
Well, the argument is what is the DEATH rate, as in overall. No one specifically said something along the lines of, "Since the start of vaccinations, what is the death rate? early in this thread until you made the point. It all comes down to semantics and wordplay.

Old 11-22-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Well, the argument is what is the DEATH rate, as in overall. No one specifically said something along the lines of, "Since the start of vaccinations, what is the death rate? early in this thread until you made the point. It all comes down to semantics and wordplay.
Actually it was the first thing that caught my eye when I read the article in the OP's first post. The article was dated November 2021, but everything in the article was from June 2020 or earlier. So that got me thinking whether the OP even knew the 2% rate is that old. Turns out he doesn't care.

There is a ton of misinformation surrounding Covid, so I just like to make sure everyone has the relevant facts available. If they shrug it off and say "1%, 2%, what's the difference?" it's on them.

Sorry, but I try to focus on good news. To me, the fact that our death rate in PA is half what it was 18 months ago is good news.

Old 11-29-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Actually it was the first thing that caught my eye when I read the article in the OP's first post. The article was dated November 2021, but everything in the article was from June 2020 or earlier. So that got me thinking whether the OP even knew the 2% rate is that old. Turns out he doesn't care.

There is a ton of misinformation surrounding Covid, so I just like to make sure everyone has the relevant facts available. If they shrug it off and say "1%, 2%, what's the difference?" it's on them.

Sorry, but I try to focus on good news. To me, the fact that our death rate in PA is half what it was 18 months ago is good news.
I'm a good news person, also. I would like to think folks are doing the "right thing" to take care of themselves and one another and then I look around me and yeah, not so much.

The 14-day trend is once again moving up for both cases and hospitalizations. The statewide average is nearly 10%.

Old 11-29-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I'm a good news person, also. I would like to think folks are doing the "right thing" to take care of themselves and one another and then I look around me and yeah, not so much.

The 14-day trend is once again moving up for both cases and hospitalizations. The statewide average is nearly 10%.
I know someone who is an anti-vaxxer (talking OG anti-vaxxer, not just for Covid) with an underlying condition who finally relented and will get the vaccine. That was after the threat of being fired (works for an agency that receives federal money). Of course, he now has to wait because he contracted the disease from his son and has to be fully recovered first before getting vaxxed.

The 10% number for new hospitalizations is surprising because we were told only the unvaxxed were getting hospitalized. Just goes to show, with Covid-19 there is no such thing as an "expert".

Old 11-29-2021, 03:20 PM

3,992 posts, read 1,844,742 times
NO ONE said "only" the unvaxxed are getting hospitalized. No one. So this (false) statement shows You yourself are not an "expert" either - even just on internet gossip.

Here's some real data.

Since January, about 40,800 have been hospitalized because of COVID in Ohio.

Of them - 2171 were vaccinated. The rest were not. No real "expert" is surprised by this ratio - since no expert EVER said the vaccine prevents hospitalization 100% of the time. It does not. No one ever said that. Ever. If you thought you heard it from a real source - look in the mirror. You did not.

That's a pretty good ratio, by the way. 20 to 1, right? about 95%? Dang good.

Old 11-29-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Here's some real data.

Since January, about 40,800 have been hospitalized because of COVID in Ohio.
Thanks for your input but please post a link. And I don't accept numbers from January. The vaccines were not widely available at that time. Make it May, 2021, which is when any adult could get the vaccine in the U.S.

I'm not saying you are making up numbers, I'd just like to see the data for myself, because as you rightly point out, there is no such thing as an "expert".

Old 11-30-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your input but please post a link. And I don't accept numbers from January. The vaccines were not widely available at that time. Make it May, 2021, which is when any adult could get the vaccine in the U.S.

I'm not saying you are making up numbers, I'd just like to see the data for myself, because as you rightly point out, there is no such thing as an "expert".
This is the PA Dept of Health dashboard and breaks down vaccinated vs non-vaxxed//partially vaxxed/unknown cumulative (January 2021) hospitalizations, deaths, and cases. It also breaks out in 28 and 30 days.

https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/dis...nated%20people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: