Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 07:57 AM

10,809 posts, read 4,501,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Having "a lot of coal" doesn't mean much if the power plants using it have been shut down.

yeah really. the clearfield plant was top 5 dirty US and went to gas out of the clinton county area so that was a wash, but they are closing coal plants every few months. with no new replacement. PA will be a net electricity importer by 2023
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 08:01 AM

10,809 posts, read 4,501,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Serious question here, a bit off-topic, and not trying to be political:

Has the fracking re-started in PA? Wolf is generally friendly to that industry. Last I heard, a couple years ago, fracking had slowed down significantly. Given renewed demand, has it re-started?

we get most of our gas from the ANF and uncle joe stopped new jabs into the ground and restricted it to fracking.

Gas, is a 2 year lead time - to drill it, prove it and then compressor stations/piping. The ban went into effect, current stabilzation will be over soon if not already then the slow steady push to use electricity instead of gas...but, oh wait....

Old 12-01-2021, 09:56 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Serious question here, a bit off-topic, and not trying to be political:

Has the fracking re-started in PA? Wolf is generally friendly to that industry. Last I heard, a couple years ago, fracking had slowed down significantly. Given renewed demand, has it re-started?
According to this article from September 2020, new drilling was down but production was up. So as production becomes more efficient, fewer workers are needed. Happens in every industry.

And we never stopped seeing "community relations" commercials on local TV from companies like Cabot, showing how much they give to charity, etc.

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202009150161

And as the price of a commodity drops there is less incentive to produce that commodity. At the height of the pandemic the price of oil actually went negative for a brief period for business reasons (e.g. an obligated purchaser could not physically accept product due to capacity and had to pay someone else to take it off their hands).

Now we are seeing the price rise so if the politicians allow it, there will be more fracking. The beat goes on.

Old 12-01-2021, 01:13 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
we get most of our gas from the ANF and uncle joe stopped new jabs into the ground and restricted it to fracking.

Gas, is a 2 year lead time - to drill it, prove it and then compressor stations/piping. The ban went into effect, current stabilzation will be over soon if not already then the slow steady push to use electricity instead of gas...but, oh wait....
It needs to be mentioned that the ANF (Allegheny National Forest) is designated, as are all National Forests, to be used to exploit natural resources to include oil, gas and lumber. Of course, logging is almost non-existent there now due to endless environmentalist objections and lawsuits.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:34 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
I have to wonder what happened to all the 'free' electricity we are getting from solar and wind power? Are we not 'greener' now and saving the world, while costing us less? Will the new electricity generation rates be factored into all of those new EV charging rates? Everybody is in their new Telsa now, right?

I guess the electric companies want to increase now before our government tells us that they want to charge drivers by the mile (since EVs have no fuel tax).

Old 12-03-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have to wonder what happened to all the 'free' electricity we are getting from solar and wind power? Are we not 'greener' now and saving the world, while costing us less? Will the new electricity generation rates be factored into all of those new EV charging rates? Everybody is in their new Telsa now, right?
The United States is actually doing a great job of lowering carbon emissions. But most of the reduction is due to fracking of natural gas, not wind and solar. If we did not have large scale fracking we would still be using a lot more coal to produce electricity like China does, and polluting a lot more like they do.

We peaked at over 6 billion metric tons in 2007. In 2020 it was down to around 4.5 billion but a lot of that reduction was due to lockdowns. In 2019 our emissions were only 5.1 billion. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ons-from-1999/

Why the peak in 2007? Easy. That was when the fracking boom PA really got going. https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2014/ar...nnsylvania.htm

Of course, if you shop around for energy suppliers you'll notice you can buy power from strictly "green" energy companies but that's the most expensive kind of energy.

Old 12-03-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The United States is actually doing a great job of lowering carbon emissions. But most of the reduction is due to fracking of natural gas, not wind and solar. If we did not have large scale fracking we would still be using a lot more coal to produce electricity like China does, and polluting a lot more like they do.

We peaked at over 6 billion metric tons in 2007. In 2020 it was down to around 4.5 billion but a lot of that reduction was due to lockdowns. In 2019 our emissions were only 5.1 billion. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ons-from-1999/

Why the peak in 2007? Easy. That was when the fracking boom PA really got going. https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2014/ar...nnsylvania.htm

Of course, if you shop around for energy suppliers you'll notice you can buy power from strictly "green" energy companies but that's the most expensive kind of energy.
But isn't "Green" free!

I am installing a new pressurized water tank and I needed several new brass fittings. I am replacing all the plumbing connected to it. First, the one-inch fittings are hard to find and they were all made in China, with one exception and that was Indonesia. What really bothers me is that we used to be proud that we made all of these in the US. But we are content to have another country make them now. Plus they have not worried about emissions like we do or labor laws. So here we go telling the world all we are doing to protect our environment while turning a blind eye on the countries that make our goods for us!

Old 12-03-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
But isn't "Green" free!

I am installing a new pressurized water tank and I needed several new brass fittings. I am replacing all the plumbing connected to it. First, the one-inch fittings are hard to find and they were all made in China, with one exception and that was Indonesia. What really bothers me is that we used to be proud that we made all of these in the US. But we are content to have another country make them now. Plus they have not worried about emissions like we do or labor laws. So here we go telling the world all we are doing to protect our environment while turning a blind eye on the countries that make our goods for us!
All you can do is let the store clerk know you were looking for "Made in USA" parts and couldn't find them. I looked for a new gas can spout last year at Cramer's but all they had was a Made in China one. Dave Parker happened to be there and I told him I'd keep using the old one until I can find a domestic one. Dave is not in government at this time but at least I let him know. Just a $5 item but it's the principle.

Old 12-03-2021, 04:44 PM

1,170 posts, read 589,923 times
Quote:
But isn't "Green" free!

Who ever said it "free"?

Old 12-03-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Who ever said it "free"?
I think that came from those solar corporations that were making the political contributions to the right politicians!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania