Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 12:02 PM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Kane, "The Icebox of the US".

I think you mean bradford....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 12:19 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
I think you mean bradford....
I would have said Bradford but apparently someone or some entity has moved the title to Kane. Maybe part of bringing it into the 21st Century or some such.

The last paragraph. Actually "The Icebox of Pennsylvania":
https://kanepa.com/history/

Old 01-20-2022, 05:38 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Quote:
Warren died 20 years ago. And found a way to get worse every year since.

But that being said, warren is a much better fit for your stated requirements.

warren is surrounded by tall hills and has a nice lake (kinzua) a few miles from town. warren is depressed so a local wage will buy a home.

Meadville is gonna have a lot of snowflakes - not the kind you can sled in - due to the liberal arts college. Meadville is 'up on the cap' sort of that surrounds lake erie. its going to be a lot like edinboro - also snowflake city in that respect. Meadville is going to have more diverse shopping and restaurants simply because nothing not named 'walmart or lowes' can stay open in warren.

Lake erie is out. unless you own a 30ft sport fisher and have your commercial license, its small craft like 300 days out of the year due to the shallow depth and unobstructed wind. stand on the banks at presque isle and if it looks like a herd of elephants out there - stay on the trailer. You will die and they wont find your body. You get limited to presque isle bay and thats like boating tionesta lake: its fun for the fist lap. only.

with warren at least you are right next to hearts content and tionesta wilderness and the ANF and a little farther out to cook/clearcreek state forests - if you are outdoorsey, plenty to do.
You might be the first person I have ever heard describe Meadville and Edinboro as "liberal" or "snowflake cities." Both Crawford county and the areas around Edinboro are extremely conservative and Edinboro University has seen significant enrollment declines recently. Allegheny College has never really been that big so the colleges do not exactly create liberal college towns like Ann Arbor or Ithaca. Also, I fish on Lake Erie in boats under 25 feet and sometimes 20 feet on a regular basis and have only had an issue once trying to get back to the marina in a storm. Lake Erie can be dangerous, but for the most part it is a great place to fish and I'm actually going ice fishing this weekend.

Old 01-20-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
You might be the first person I have ever heard describe Meadville and Edinboro as "liberal" or "snowflake cities." Both Crawford county and the areas around Edinboro are extremely conservative and Edinboro University has seen significant enrollment declines recently. Allegheny College has never really been that big so the colleges do not exactly create liberal college towns like Ann Arbor or Ithaca. Also, I fish on Lake Erie in boats under 25 feet and sometimes 20 feet on a regular basis and have only had an issue once trying to get back to the marina in a storm. Lake Erie can be dangerous, but for the most part it is a great place to fish and I'm actually going ice fishing this weekend.

not the cities, (they aint really cities per se unless johnstown is a motropolis) the colleges. just because the townsfolk are red, does not mean the students do not worship the father below. my brother and sister are alumni and they insist its not the place they once went to. but the point was a comparo of the climate of meadville with warren. not meadville and palo alto. there is no such tomfoolery in warren.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:05 AM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times
I am always amused by the use of "snowflakes". If the presence of one college in an otherwise conservative area is too much to handle, who exactly is the snowflake here?

Old 01-21-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
I am always amused by the use of "snowflakes". If the presence of one college in an otherwise conservative area is too much to handle, who exactly is the snowflake here?

dude read the OP. he/she specifically asked for a living environment and I fully understand.

The best way to avoid problems is to...avoid problems in the first place.

Old 01-21-2022, 01:16 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times
I read it, and I understand, and I think anyone who thinks like that has no business using the word "snowflake". If sight of college students triggers you, get some help.

Doesn't anyone have life family members or coworkers who have different politics? How do you function with that kind of attitude?

Last edited by Tweb66; 01-21-2022 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: added comment

Old 01-21-2022, 02:15 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Quote:
Warren died 20 years ago. And found a way to get worse every year since.

How did you come up with that statement? It's true that Warren lost the headquarters of its biggest home grown industrial companies, Struthers Wells and Loranger Plastics. But it still has manufacturers like Betts Industries, Elwood National Forge, Osram Sylvania, CNC Auto Motion (a maker of computerized routers and lathes), Superior Tire and Rubber, United Refining, West railcar, Whirley Drink Works, Cardinal Industrial Finishes, Pellegrino Foods and large companies in the services business like Blair, Inc. and is the headquarters of Northwest Bank.

So Warren is still prosperous and the people are friendly and it is isolated enough to satisfy the OP.

Correction: Blair has gone bankrupt and has closed its Warren headquarters. Just found out.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
How did you come up with that statement?
lol, well the most obvious is to, um visit. Is this another example of someone asking about a town in pa and most of the respondents have never been there, or last time was 35 years ago to see aunt methyl?

The second most obvious is to ask them (warrenites).

There are employers in warren yes, but of the few that survive, most are a fraction of their former selves. One of the ones you mentioned, cnc auto motion is a partner of its parent (centroid) that was one of my clients when I got them full throttle into the auto bizness. They employ like what 12 full time people? walmart deli is larger... most of the industries along 6, are long closed, or leased for pennies on the dollar to make oilfield equipment/supplies. out of 9000+ residents we are talking what, a total of perhaps 250 employees?, most not living IN warren (county yes town no)

warren is a dead town and like every other dead town in pa, especially the ones with more going for it, will never fully revive. Warrens future will revolve around the 2 things it cannot lose: the lake, the forest. How do you not drive downtown or up market street and not see this? (if it makes you feel better, johnstown PA is a dead town as well since I did mention it and I will never recommend moving to jtown)

the op mentioned, of all things, he/she wanted to fish, sledride and shoot things. the OP also wanted to buy a home on a grocery store salary. If we factor in the grocery stores in and around warren (tops, shurefine, walmart) in 2 seconds I found 5 homes in town for <$85K. Warren is firearm friendly, what being surrounded by game lands and warren is at present mask free. (cmon, I cannot be the only one who read the post no?)

funny thing tho, having been to both towns, I recommended warren pa, and took heat for not being pro-warren enough? really?

Old 01-21-2022, 04:02 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Those bastards in Wisconsin closed the Wooly Willy factory in Smethport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania