Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 02:59 PM

45,350 posts, read 60,534,984 times

Advertisements

OK, I reread your original post and it sounds like you're more concerned with two legged predators than four legged ones.

Crime can happen anywhere, it's more common in urban areas due to population density and some of the associated social problems and social pathology.

The opioid epidemic has really invaded everywhere, although-in my experience-users in rural areas tend to prey on others like them and pretty much leave civilians alone.

Using Maryland as my example, mostly because I'm now more familiar with its stats than I am Pennsylvania's now, the state almost always is in the top 10/15 for violent crime, assaults, property crimes, etc. That number is driven primarily by two jurisdictions (with a third quickly catching up). Pennsylvania is likely much the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 03:11 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
I think it's pretty clear the OP was talking about "people crime." personal safety, and offenses that people commit. The OP wondered about needing police to keep the area safe.

But somehow the responses got off on some tangent about bears and snakes. Totally unrelated to what the OP was really about. But whatever....

Population centers -- urban areas, if you will -- have more crime - period.

Given that PA is as some jokes say -- Pittsburg and Philadelphia -- with I won't name a state, but let's just say more rural areas in-between -- I think the last majority of PA is "naturally safe."

Old 02-04-2022, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I think it's pretty clear the OP was talking about "people crime." personal safety, and offenses that people commit. The OP wondered about needing police to keep the area safe.

But somehow the responses got off on some tangent about bears and snakes. Totally unrelated to what the OP was really about. But whatever....
Yeah.

The reality is that in much of rural Pennsylvania the main law enforcement agency is the Pennsylvania State Police. If there's an incident that trooper might be 45 minutes away.

If the Trooper is in the barracks at Marienville and something happens in Tionesta you'll see him (or her) in about that time frame, longer if the roads are bad due to weather.

Some small towns like Summerville in Jefferson County will contract with a town like Clarion to have one of its officers patrol for 15 or 20 hours a week as a side gig.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:21 AM

10,840 posts, read 4,521,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah.

The reality is that in much of rural Pennsylvania the main law enforcement agency is the Pennsylvania State Police. If there's an incident that trooper might be 45 minutes away.

If the Trooper is in the barracks at Marienville and something happens in Tionesta you'll see him (or her) in about that time frame, longer if the roads are bad due to weather.

Some small towns like Summerville in Jefferson County will contract with a town like Clarion to have one of its officers patrol for 15 or 20 hours a week as a side gig.

thats why we mostly 'roll our own' up there. Lots of problems buried in the cathedral... ;-)

next time you are up you will have to stop by.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:28 AM

10,840 posts, read 4,521,326 times
Quote:

anecdote time: I started riding the ATV trails at sproul st forest in the early 90s (now known as whiskey springs) and stayed in renovo at an old RR YMCA known as the 'olde kingsley inn'. At that time they had a small, but 24 hours police force to keep order and write parking tix and nab speeders down 120. as well as the weekly drunk patrol for people exiting the keystone bar on band nite.

Over the years as the RR pensioners died off and the very old houses with no buyers were knocked down, revenues fell and the force fell into 1 officer per shift, then eventually 1 officer.

When joking around with the locals as we got to know quite a few townsfolk, if someone was behaving rowdy I would say "you better settle down or I will call the cop...."

I dont think anyone got it.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:27 AM

9,328 posts, read 13,001,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Given that PA is as some jokes say -- Pittsburg and Philadelphia -- with I won't name a state, but let's just say more rural areas in-between -- I think the last majority of PA is "naturally safe."
The actual quote is: “Between Paoli and Penn Hills, Pennsylvania is Alabama without the Black folk.”

I would say between Thorndale and Trafford, these days, but the principle continues to apply.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:51 AM

445 posts, read 414,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
The actual quote is: “Between Paoli and Penn Hills, Pennsylvania is Alabama without the Black folk.”

I would say between Thorndale and Trafford, these days, but the principle continues to apply.
I still think it's really dumb, no offense. Dauphin County has a higher percentage Black than Allegheny County! I know there's a population difference between the two but Harrisburg, York, Lancaster, and even Lebanon are very diverse. Dauphin County alone has 57,000 Black people. You're more likely to run into someone non-white in south central PA than the Pittsburgh metro.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
I still think it's really dumb, no offense. Dauphin County has a higher percentage Black than Allegheny County! I know there's a population difference between the two but Harrisburg, York, Lancaster, and even Lebanon are very diverse. Dauphin County alone has 57,000 Black people. You're more likely to run into someone non-white in south central PA than the Pittsburgh metro.
James Carville said it, not me, so no offense taken. You are correct that it’s not a universally accurate statement based on the smaller urban centers that dot the landscape between Southeastern and Southwestern Pennsylvania, but there’s a lot of broad truth to it.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
James Carville said it, not me, so no offense taken. You are correct that it’s not a universally accurate statement based on the smaller urban centers that dot the landscape between Southeastern and Southwestern Pennsylvania, but there’s a lot of broad truth to it.
If it had been said about Maryland, the leading citizens would be demanding that consultants be hired and charettes held to fight against and change the characterization.

Pennsylvanians just said, "Who gives a ****"?

Old 02-04-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
If it had been said about Maryland, the leading citizens would be demanding that consultants be hired and charettes held to fight against and change the characterization.

Pennsylvanians just said, "Who gives a ****"?
What would Maryland’s phrase even be? Between Rising Sun and Rockville, Maryland is Maryland without the Maryland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania