Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 03:23 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,492,183 times

Advertisements

I am a NJ native and I moved to the Bay Area 1.5 years ago. NJ suburbs are super safe to live in and they are "naturally safe" where it is safe of its nature and you rarely need cops to keep the place safe. The only suburbs where you really need cops are the towns that have lots of highways running through them. In NJ burbs, you only needed a cop for car accidents and all you need is a few cops in most towns, except we had an excess of cops.

Most of NJ is not "prone" to crime (except for urban areas obviously) and even something like covid, economic distress / poverty, political issues, does not make people go crazy and commit crimes and even defunding of the police does not increase any issues here. I totally understand that nowhere is safe, but I need to live somewhere that is just as safe as NJ.

I now live in the Bay Area with family and I am miserable here. Everything in the Bay Area is urban and is not "naturally safe" and the Bay Area is prone to homeless people, panhandling, smash and grab crimes, stolen vehicle crimes, catalytic converter thefts, etc. I honestly cannot see how I could pay a high cost of living to live through all of that with the addition of third world looking roads, very long droughts, and wildfires.

My dream is to live in a semi-rural area in Southeastern PA, but I would want to know how safe semi-rural and suburban SE PA in its own "nature" and if you really "need" cops to keep the place safe. I am tired of living in the Bay Area where you need to advocate for more police and mental health care just to keep the area safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 09:54 AM

10,848 posts, read 4,529,826 times
Yep. Biggest danger is from lions and bears with the occasional coyote. Unless you are a car. The deer. the #@$@# deer. Rodents.

but seriously, I would never lock my place up north, cept all the 'neighbors' are campers from the pitt area and thefts are up like 3000% since 1990.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:55 AM

PS, SE pa is essentially delaware - pointless unless you push on to amish country. Then its tourism central. live a little. go wester and norther.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:25 PM

8,077 posts, read 7,436,873 times
OP, you once stated you were looking for someplace with a "western Morris County (NJ) vibe". Seems like you are looking for a wealthy exurb in SEPA. Have you looked into Forks Township in Northampton County? Not sure if that's considered SEPA but it's in the 610 area code. Lots of McMansions, the township athletic center is sprawling, and it has a "wealthy and safe" vibe. At least it did when my kids played sports down there.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:37 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
I would describe northern Bucks county up to around Easton as semi-rural with a 'western Morris County' vibe. The little river towns are essentially their own worlds.

Old 02-01-2022, 01:14 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
PS, SE pa is essentially delaware - pointless unless you push on to amish country. Then its tourism central. live a little. go wester and norther.
As someone that has lived in every county that Delaware has plus three counties in Southeastern PA (four if you count Lehigh), I have to say that's a weird statement. Lower Delaware is night and day different than Northern Delaware so when you say, "SE PA is essentially Delaware", that's just wrong. Parts of New Castle County are like parts of SE PA, but that's about it.

I'd say that most of the small towns in SE PA are safe. You're always going to have petty larceny like kids stealing stuff from unlocked cars but as another poster said, the real thing to watch out for is deer at dusk. Between my husband and I, we've hit or clipped half a dozen.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
As someone that has lived in every county that Delaware has plus three counties in Southeastern PA (four if you count Lehigh), I have to say that's a weird statement. Lower Delaware is night and day different than Northern Delaware so when you say, "SE PA is essentially Delaware", that's just wrong. Parts of New Castle County are like parts of SE PA, but that's about it.

I'd say that most of the small towns in SE PA are safe. You're always going to have petty larceny like kids stealing stuff from unlocked cars but as another poster said, the real thing to watch out for is deer at dusk. Between my husband and I, we've hit or clipped half a dozen.

I mean the Delaware you accidentally fall into out of lancaster on 41 when you are trying to get to cape may without $200 in tolls. If I took down the sign that said 'welcome to...' I challenge anyone to tell me when they change over.

I wont say its a bad drive, winnie got like 9.1mpg last trip which aint bad for a 6 ton 1 car garage that can do 70 - but its the same thing over and over with a traffic light at the bottom of each hill so you have to ditch overdrive. like leaving LAX to riverside....50+ miles of identical.

west and north!

Old 02-01-2022, 07:15 PM

9,336 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
I mean the Delaware you accidentally fall into out of lancaster on 41 when you are trying to get to cape may without $200 in tolls. If I took down the sign that said 'welcome to...' I challenge anyone to tell me when they change over.

I wont say its a bad drive, winnie got like 9.1mpg last trip which aint bad for a 6 ton 1 car garage that can do 70 - but its the same thing over and over with a traffic light at the bottom of each hill so you have to ditch overdrive. like leaving LAX to riverside....50+ miles of identical.

west and north!
Northern Delaware feels more like South Jersey than Southeastern Pennsylvania, which makes sense, because both areas were largely farmland outside of the urban hubs of Camden and Wilmington until the 1950s. Delaware is also different because County governments reign supreme, as they do in Maryland and Virginia, and many areas are unincorporated.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:05 PM

1,170 posts, read 591,628 times
I kind of think "naturally safe" isn't a real thing, drugs and poverty are pretty much everywhere. Having said that, western Montgomery County is fairly rural, safe and has great services because its a wealthy county. You will probably like Berks a lot too. Reading is atrociously but I think it otherwise fits the bill.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:19 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,492,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
I kind of think "naturally safe" isn't a real thing, drugs and poverty are pretty much everywhere. Having said that, western Montgomery County is fairly rural, safe and has great services because its a wealthy county. You will probably like Berks a lot too. Reading is atrociously but I think it otherwise fits the bill.
Nowhere is perfectly safe in terms of humanity (not counting wild animal drama lol), but I just want to live somewhere that is just as safe as NJ where nothing bad happens whenever people do become poor, or whenever any political issue comes up, and a place that would still remain safe even if police defunding (or little police) happens. All we needed was a few cops in my NJ suburb, otherwise it was safe by its nature. Of course in PA, you do not have the weather like California, so PA is not going to overpopulation (PA is not NJ either), homeless people, but yes, people do drugs everywhere. I don't mind kiddy crimes though. That is something you cannot get away from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania